Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies You've Seen Recently

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
588 replies to this topic

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1185 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It seems the violence isn't the problem? Are they too politicized or nationalistic? Or is it just "war is hell" realism being too much?

Not trying to judge, just curious. I know American Sniper rubbed me the wrong way with the heroization of a single solider, who didn't seem to be all great of a person. Yet possibly my favorite war movie is by that same director.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2498 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Realistic war movies have never really held my interest and it was that way long before I ever went off to war myself so dunno why. The actual content doesn't bother me at all I'm just not interested in the subject.

I'm weird, I know, and maybe a little dead inside.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3572 posts

Realistic war movies have never really held my interest and it was that way long before I ever went off to war myself so dunno why. The actual content doesn't bother me at all I'm just not interested in the subject.

I'm weird, I know, and maybe a little dead inside.

Just say that you were probably a soldier in your previous life and that's why you can't stand them. From what you're saying it seems like is the truth.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Did you always know that you wanted to be a solider. Speaking completely from arm chair. The profession that people tend towards, it often seems like they have less of a tolerance for depictions of whatever that profession is. Most of the kids I grew up with that liked military stuff and war movies didn't go into the service. Those that didn't seem as interested were more likely to take that path as they got older.

I know most people that were into tech didn't care much for hacker / programmer movies because the depictions just rubbed them the wrong way. Those same people tend to dislike Silicon Valley (the show.) There might be something there with this affect. You get enough just knowing about the real thing.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3241 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Disney has officially unveiled its central cast for Guy Ritchie's live-action adaptation of the classic animated film Aladdin. At the D23 Expo, the studio revealed who will play Aladdin, Jasmine, and the Genie:

• Aladdin -- Mena Massoud (Jack Ryan)
  • Jasmine -- Naomi Scott (Power Rangers)
  • The Genie -- Will Smith

The news officially confirms the rumors that Will Smith will step into the role so famously played by Robin Williams in 1992.

The announcement comes after reports that the film was having a lot of trouble casting its lead role. While the studio reportedly had several actresses in mind for Jasmine (including the winner Naomi Scott), Disney apparently struggled to cast Aladdin.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio was looking for an actor in his 20s, who could sing and dance and was of "Middle-Eastern or Indian descent," and it spent months screen testing actors with no success. With today's news, it's confirmed Canadian actor Mena Massoud will play the role.

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3241 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Heh.

Tor - Medieval Matters : Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Mullets

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2498 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Did you always know that you wanted to be a solider. Speaking completely from arm chair. The profession that people tend towards, it often seems like they have less of a tolerance for depictions of whatever that profession is. Most of the kids I grew up with that liked military stuff and war movies didn't go into the service. Those that didn't seem as interested were more likely to take that path as they got older.

I know most people that were into tech didn't care much for hacker / programmer movies because the depictions just rubbed them the wrong way. Those same people tend to dislike Silicon Valley (the show.) There might be something there with this affect. You get enough just knowing about the real thing.

I think it's probably the same for any job, once you know more about a thing you start to notice how poorly it is sometimes portrayed.

But as I said before I didn't care for war movies before joining the military and after the military I just notice the little things like inaccurate uniform/politics/lingo... but mostly uniforms because you see those in a lot of different movies and shows. I get why they sex up tech stuff (which is what I do now and what I did in the military) but it just seems lazy to me to get uniforms wrong so often since guidelines and pictures and videos are a quick web search away.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6993 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

So Deckard is a replicant that can be used to make eternal replicants, I guess?

Seems meh, anyway
  • kirottu and algroth like this

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 622 posts

To me as dumbass ideas go it's up there with "the reason why the Engineers hate us is because two-thousand seventeen years ago we killed one of their own they sent back to Earth to teach us peace and love".

• algroth likes this

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 717 posts
Nightcrawler, after being in my watch list for a couple of years. Good reminder of why I don't watch many modern movies. Blunt, B movie level direction/writing and a camera man with zero depth of field. How can a movie, shot predominantly outdoors, still feel so closed in? Cheap, modern digital age of no finesse - that's how.

The Architect

The Architect

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1370 posts

Baby Driver. I LOVED this. The action was well choreographed in time with the music, and complimented by witty dialogue from memorable characters with a believable, endearing romance. It's everything I wished the f&f movies were and I don't buy that self-aware argument entirely as Dominic takes himself waaaaaay too seriously but I digress. 

Edited by The Architect, 18 July 2017 - 05:47 AM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16961 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • "Aladdin -- Mena Massoud (Jack Ryan)
  • Jasmine -- Naomi Scott (Power Rangers)
  • The Genie -- Will Smith"

Disney is being attacked for RACISM by SJW Nazis for this casting. LMAO

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2381 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

Apparently Naomi Scott, being only of "Indian descent", is therefore too white for the role. Whut?

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3241 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think part of the attacks have been in the style of "Hollywood can constantly cast middle-eastern actors as terrorists, but they can't find one to play Aladdin?"

To which my response is generally, Hollywood has been casting English actors as criminal masterminds for decades. Learn to live with it. The bad guys usually have the best and most quotable lines. ;)

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3241 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Knowing the tastes of some of the folks on the forum, this might be of interest:

• kirottu likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16961 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This just goes along with the fact that  no matter what you do SJW Nazis will always find something to cry about.  You can't please the unpleaseable. SJW Nazis need to complain about something so they'll find something to complain about because if they ain't complaining do they really exist?

Anyways, onto more important movie matters.. I'm no fan of the MCU. In fact, I have never seen one in theatre. That said, I've been watching some on netflex. I gotta say. Thor 1 is pretty darn good. It hits all the marks.  The two first Captain Amerikas are alright but to me Chris Evans is so uneven and sometimes I just can't take hims seriously but both those films are watchable.

Thor matches up with DCU movies but Capter Amerika is not at their level. Not even close.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Knowing the tastes of some of the folks on the forum, this might be of interest:

Masterpiece. This is going to be The oscar movie of the year.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2381 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

The two first Captain Amerikas are alright but to me Chris Evans is so uneven and sometimes I just can't take hims seriously but both those films are watchable.

Really? Hm, I find those films some problems but I didn't think anything was wrong with Chris Evans. He ended up being a much more solid Captain America than I expected, but maybe those expecations made me appreciate him more.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Apparently Naomi Scott, being only of "Indian descent", is therefore too white for the role. Whut?

Something to do with young white liberals wanting to buy into the idea that white civilization is so great it changed the concept of beauty in all of Asia. As if the upper class of those societies hadn't long developed beauty standards for fair skin a long time before. But they just love thinking that not only is there heritage so great to affect such a change, but their ability to transcend their own inherited guilt imbues them with considerable amounts of fungible virtue. Throw in a little bit of speaking on behalf of other people because you need propagate the notion that those people have no voice in the modern age to still hold true in order for you actions to be justified, all while co-opting the crab mentality of held by a vocal minority in some identity group other than your own and turn it into a rhetoric point by which to play power politics within the their own identity group for which they feel they are too low on given their innate virtue.

Edited by injurai, 18 July 2017 - 10:44 AM.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Thor matches up with DCU movies but Capter Amerika is not at their level. Not even close.

Final, undeniable proof that you're utterly insane. :yes:

• ShadySands likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users