Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1763 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Alien: Covenant

Not the Alien prequel I was expecting it to be. I left the theatre somewhat disappointed.

Agiel

Agiel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 571 posts

Saw Alien: Covenant on opening night and I think I've given it enough time to stew. For me it vacillated between a 6 and a 7 out of 10, but ultimately I give it a 7. I didn't come into it with nearly as much hope I had for Prometheus back in the day, so that helped. Fassbender definitely kills it as both David and Walter in this movie, and as Walter he makes an outstanding not-Bishop...

Spoiler

However as someone who had dug deep into the lore for the franchise (so far as to have a copy of the Colonial Marines Technical Manual when I was a kid) a few things gnawed at me...

Spoiler

That finishes my thoughts on Covenant. This weekend I also saw <<Blame!>> on Netflix, which is a fairly solid adaptation of the original comic. Very rarely do I see any anime that has come out since the middle part of the last decade since they tended to veer too much towards overly sappy and sentimental for my tastes, but this one is overall pure post-apocalyptic cyberpunk joy. Think the Dark Tower meets Akira and you have a reasonable idea of its themes and tone. 

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4519 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Alien: Covenant

Regarding timing:

Spoiler

I admit to - like Floride - I left the theater somewhat disappointed.

Spoiler

Its not all bad, it is tense, set design is awesome, direction is solid, cast is great but I feel like it could have been better.    In particular there's a lot of things that seem to go nowhere.
Spoiler

Some questions seem to imply a larger aspect of the universe which might be neat if they follow-up on it -

Spoiler

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3179 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So word is that Tom Holland is going to be playing young Nathan Drake in the Uncharted adaption, that will focus itself as a "prequel" and show the young thief Drake and first encounter with Sullivan.

Thingolfin

Thingolfin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 269 posts

Alien: Covenant was a dissapointment. For all its flaws, Prometheus is ten times as memorable.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3179 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Now You See Me 2 was on Amazon Prime so I sat down to watch it.

Generally entertaining, although I think the first one was a lot more snappier, although some of the twists were an engaging turn on what had gone on before.

Was a shame Isla Fisher didn't return, they threw in about 5 lines of dialogue to explain her characters disappearance right near the start of the film, and then it wasn't mentioned again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users