Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

'The Kyber thing' was that the Death Star was a deadly mixture of Sith magic and technology - making a giant ass lightsaber based weapon out of the ruins of the Jedi original homeworld

I really liked that part with the crystals. I immediately thought of Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Anyone watched movies from Guy Richie? I re-watched Snatch yesterday for something like 100X time and man I still love it from start to end

I really liked Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Not sure if I liked it more than Snatch. Revolver was weird, but its supposedly based on some sort of Kaballah stuff. Rocknrolla was a little more serious than Lock Stock or Snatch, but I still liked it. Enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes films, and not liking what I've seen of his King Arthur flick.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3168 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Double feature re-watch.

The Thomas Crown Affair.    The original, followed by the remake. Both darn good films, and interestingly different in their own ways.

For the fun fact, shooting on location was rare before the original was made, and according to the director the initial bank robbery was filmed at the downtown branch of the National Shawmut Bank, and that although the guards and bank officials knew what was going on, the customers did not because the filmmakers were using a concealed camera. Although they apparently thought that a real robbery was occurring, none of the customers or pedestrians interfered in any way.

The shift from bank robbery to art heist for the remake, was apparently due to a series of high profile bank robberies having recently occurred in New York at the time. The producers wanted it to be a stylish and gentlemanly type of theft and not something quite so thuggish and in your face as a violent armed bank robbery.

• Agiel likes this

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Rewatched some films the last couple of days...

Don't Look Now - I still have trouble getting into Nicolas Roeg's schizophrenic sense of pacing, but it does aid this film really well in generating an eerie and tense mood. The chase sequence at the end of the film is some truly wonderful stuff.

Demolition Man - Here's a film I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of, seeing that it's a topic so applicable to the present day and which is really in the end a good premise very poorly executed. The film too readily opts into favouring the Stallone action vehicle side of things over the satire, and the film suffers heavily for it. It could have been much smarter and acerbic than it is, but it as it is it only "has its moments".

Blade - One Wesley Snipes movie led to the other. I really enjoy this despite the fact that it has clearly aged poorly: the CGI is horrendous even for its time, and 90s fashion in general just seems dorky in today's context. Despite that, there are some interesting ideas and clever moments, the action setpieces are nicely shot and choreographed, and overall it's a film that doesn't bog itself down with unnecessary set-up or franchise teasing (even as the film does indicate to there being a greater world and overarching conflict out there), it just feels like it limits itself to telling a good two-hour story and works well just as that. There are some people who view this film as the start of the comic book movie craze but I think it's quite distinct and formally different to the genre as we've known it since X-Men to say it was something of a curious precursor but less so than it might have been for the bullet-dodging trenchcoat-wearing martial arts movies that would follow.

Arrival - Spoke about this before, it's just brilliant and still likely my favorite film of last year. I like how it echoes the conflict of understanding time in Western culture and certain Eastern ones, whereby one understands time linearly and the other cyclically. Very interesting stuff, very moving, and it's criminal that neither Amy Adams nor Johann Johannsson were nominated at this year's Oscars.

The Architect

The Architect

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1370 posts

The Town, extended version.

Very good movie. Intense action, solid story. Ben Affleck is better at directing than he is at acting.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2222 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So they cast Josh Brolin as Cable

To me it's a better choice than Michael Shannon but not as good as Brad Pitt or Stephen Lang

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3445 posts

So they cast Josh Brolin as Cable

To me it's a better choice than Michael Shannon but not as good as Brad Pitt or Stephen Lang

I keep thinking that the role should go to an unknown that looks the part.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3168 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

..Gah.

Current rumour has it that Will Smith is in talks to play the Genie in Disney's proposed live-action Aladdin.

Katphood

Katphood

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1189 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Tried watching Deadpool but got bored after action and explosions got replaced by love and romance.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8407 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Tried watching Deadpool but got bored after action and explosions got replaced by love and romance.

I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone complain that Deadpool was too heavy on the romance. That's an odd one.

• Raithe likes this

Katphood

Katphood

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1189 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

1.Didn't say it was 'too heavy on the romance'
2.I'm not complaining, just didn't like it.

I thought it was a super hero movie at first but after watching it for 10-15 minutes I realized it was a Marvel super hero movie. Those tend to be a little too american for my taste...

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2653 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Grand Budapest Hotel. Made me sad.
  • Raithe, Katphood, Chilloutman and 1 other like this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8407 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

I thought it was a super hero movie at first but after watching it for 10-15 minutes I realized it was a Marvel super hero movie. Those tend to be a little too american for my taste...

It spends the entire movie making fun of the Marvel universe, so maybe you just didn't get the humor. It's more parody than super hero movie.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3149 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ugh, don't remind me of Deadpool, that movie was a pain to watch. :>

Katphood

Katphood

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1189 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It spends the entire movie making fun of the Marvel universe, so maybe you just didn't get the humor. It's more parody than super hero movie.

You can't make a parody out of an already existing parody. :p

Edited by Katphood, 20 April 2017 - 07:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users