I still think of KOTOR 3, and you? : )

theBalthazar

Choices that matter.

It seems pretty clear that BiowEA have chosen to maintain profitability by drastically cutting back development costs, instead of aiming for a net revenue increase. I feel this is a weak model and more vulnerable to changes in the environment than a supposed top-tier product should be, but I've been wrong before, and MMOs seem to be on their way out (or at least losing popularity to other genres).

Maybe this is a good thing regarding future single player games. Then again, EA retains an exclusive license.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

During the closed SW:TOR beta it was possible for Sith warriors to actually kill Quinn for his betrayal, much like imperial agents could kill Kaliyo for hers.

Bioware changed that due to massive whining when players killed their tanks and healers and realized they screwed themselves pretty hard (the original leveling experience was a good deal harder than what we have now, after all). For the very same reason dark side Jedi knights also get the title "Master" even tough Bastila Satele refuses to make them one. In the early versions of the game, players would get "General" instead. Cue whining.

Yep, players are the worst.  :p

I'm actually enjoying playing through the expansions with more than one character because of all the dialogue options.  My trooper is a pretty typical good guy soldier, while my Jedi Knight is arrogant and power hungry.  The game gives me a good deal of control over that development.  Sometimes the conflict over light and dark side choices is actually pretty good too.  Example:

Late in the trooper storyline you have to choose between rescuing an agent and rescuing a bunch of soldiers.  The agent is a former romantic interest if you pursued it, and she is pleading for her life.  I also had my current romantic interest standing next to me telling me to save the soldiers.  It was not an easy decision.  

Not being able to kill Gault is the main reason I never made it past beta.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I did notice in one of the expansions I had an option to kill a companion.  I didn't do it, but I wondered if it lets you follow through or it is simply a threat.

edit: I hate Gault, but thankfully I can just use someone else on my BH.

Edited by Hurlshot

Yes, but now you'll always know you're a fraud of a Bounty Hunter.

Yes, but now you'll always know you're a fraud of a Bounty Hunter.

The BH storyline is pretty weird anyways.  There is no real good reason why they are connected so closely to the Empire.  Most of the planet storylines don't go well with the whole idea.

Yes, you can kill several companions in both KOTFE and KOTET

Great.  Makes sense now that they simplified the companions.  I love that I don't have to give them a full set of gear anymore too, and any one of them can heal me.

edit:  So that probably means if you get your BH to the KOTFE, you get to kill Gault.  

Edited by Hurlshot

During the closed SW:TOR beta it was possible for Sith warriors to actually kill Quinn for his betrayal, much like imperial agents could kill Kaliyo for hers.

Bioware changed that due to massive whining when players killed their tanks and healers and realized they screwed themselves pretty hard (the original leveling experience was a good deal harder than what we have now, after all). For the very same reason dark side Jedi knights also get the title "Master" even tough Bastila Satele refuses to make them one. In the early versions of the game, players would get "General" instead. Cue whining.

Yep, players are the worst.   :p

I'm actually enjoying playing through the expansions with more than one character because of all the dialogue options.  My trooper is a pretty typical good guy soldier, while my Jedi Knight is arrogant and power hungry.  The game gives me a good deal of control over that development.  Sometimes the conflict over light and dark side choices is actually pretty good too.  Example:

Late in the trooper storyline you have to choose between rescuing an agent and rescuing a bunch of soldiers.  The agent is a former romantic interest if you pursued it, and she is pleading for her life.  I also had my current romantic interest standing next to me telling me to save the soldiers.  It was not an easy decision.  

Of course, you also end up with weird things like a totally light side Sith Inquisitor being granted the title of Darth and being on the Sith Council or whatever it's called.  The stories only seem to work well if you play to stereotype.

The BH storyline is pretty weird anyways.  There is no real good reason why they are connected so closely to the Empire.

Depending on the execution of it, they might have made it a more "credible" story by emphasizing your Mandalorian heritage rather than your bounty hunter heritage. There does seem to be some loose association between Mandalorian clans and the Empire. At least enough for them to have their own enclave in Dromund Kaas. I really resented Gault when playing my first character. Eventually he grew on me, but it did take 2-3 years of real time ;)

Edit: as for why I picked the bounty hunter for my first class, 2 reasons: Mako was cute and I loved the armour displayer on their website for the powertech class (which of course was no longer available ingame when I started playing)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yes, you can kill several companions in both KOTFE and KOTET

Great.  Makes sense now that they simplified the companions.  I love that I don't have to give them a full set of gear anymore too, and any one of them can heal me.

edit:  So that probably means if you get your BH to the KOTFE, you get to kill Gault.  

But only if that particular companion is one of the minority that they've decided to implement in the new content. Guessing here, but for companions that were previously of your current class I imagine the only difference is that you get a few additional lines before killing them, but everyone of every class gets to do the deed.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The BH storyline is pretty weird anyways.  There is no real good reason why they are connected so closely to the Empire.

Depending on the execution of it, they might have made it a more "credible" story by emphasizing your Mandalorian heritage rather than your bounty hunter heritage. There does seem to be some loose association between Mandalorian clans and the Empire. At least enough for them to have their own enclave in Dromund Kaas. I really resented Gault when playing my first character. Eventually he grew on me, but it did take 2-3 years of real time ;)

Edit: as for why I picked the bounty hunter for my first class, 2 reasons: Mako was cute and I loved the armour displayer on their website for the powertech class (which of course was no longer available ingame when I started playing)

They should have just scrapped the whole Mandalorian and hunt element of it. The iconic Star Wars Bounty Hunters weren't part of some glorified contest. They were the dudes a Sith Lord called in to get the job done when the rest of the Empire wasn't up to the job.

The BH should have been employed directly by the Sith. Training and commanding troopers on commando raids, assassination missions, hunting down defectors.

• Like 1

There does seem to be some loose association between Mandalorian clans and the Empire.

It isn't explained all that well in-game but in the story material built around SW:TOR (like Bishop's Gnost-Dural's journals). Imperial Intelligence owned the current Mandalore at the time of the Great War:

https://youtu.be/KeboxMqdXdE?t=10m30s

Of course, you also end up with weird things like a totally light side Sith Inquisitor being granted the title of Darth and being on the Sith Council or whatever it's called.  The stories only seem to work well if you play to stereotype.

Actually the Sith Inquisitor gets a different name for being dark, grey or light side. Sure he gets the Darth title and a seat on the Dark Council (what else would there be for such a powerful Sith) but the actual name varies. Nox for the dark side, Occlus for grey and Imperius for light side inquisitors, along with different spheres of influence.

Of course, afterwards it only comes up once afterwards when Darth Marr calls you about the crisis on Makeb but the basis was there. It just remained unused. 

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Of course, afterwards it only comes up once afterwards when Darth Marr calls you about the crisis on Makeb but the basis was there. It just remained unused.

This is one of the things that bugs me the most about the game. It's so close to being a really amazing game but they never go all the way or they switch directions or just flat out drop the ball.

It makes me wish for a truly single player (even if co-op leaning) Star Wars RPG where it can be truly reactive

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'd like a reactive single player RPG in any setting, but I like single player RPGs and reactivity.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'd like a reactive single player RPG in any setting, but I like single player RPGs and reactivity.

Undertale? :D

(just kidding...mostly, since it's not really an RPG in the usual sense, and also because most people seem to have little to no interest in it due to its horrible, horrible fanbase and maybe it trying "too hard" in some respects, while not trying hard enough in others: still probably the best game I played this year, though)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hello guys,

I love KOTOR 1 and 2 and I am frustrated that the third one has never been born.

And you ?

Do you think this game will come out one day?

Besides who has the rights of this game?

I read the book Revan, and it would be great to have it in video game.

Two thoughts:

1-I'd love a KOTOR 3

2-I'd hate it if it were based on that novel.  The novel ruined the Revan character (and the Exile) just so they could push forward their TOR MMO.

• Like 2

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Undertale? :D

(just kidding...mostly, since it's not really an RPG in the usual sense, and also because most people seem to have little to no interest in it due to its horrible, horrible fanbase and maybe it trying "too hard" in some respects, while not trying hard enough in others: still probably the best game I played this year, though)

While I liked Undertale, I'm thinking more of what I thought PoE was going to be(not to be confused with what it actually was).

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2-I'd hate it if it were based on that novel.  The novel ruined the Revan character (and the Exile) just so they could push forward their TOR MMO.

I agree. For me the book have many problems.

The treatment of Canderous, the sloppy end and the treatment of Exile etc.

If there is a KOTOR 3 one day, I hope multi-ending.

Edited by theBalthazar

I like good **** and I like good trees.

Alpha Protocol was a commercial failure. That means more bells and whistles and less reactivity. Sorry! (I blame people)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Actually the Sith Inquisitor gets a different name for being dark, grey or light side. Sure he gets the Darth title and a seat on the Dark Council (what else would there be for such a powerful Sith) but the actual name varies. Nox for the dark side, Occlus for grey and Imperius for light side inquisitors, along with different spheres of influence.

You didn't at launch, which was pretty much the last time I played TOR (Darth Keaira sounds really silly, btw. I'd have chosen a different name if I knew that was going to end up my title.) Well, I did go back for a couple hours when it went F2P, but as soon as I saw they were selling UI elements (are they still selling action bars?) I uninstalled it and haven't looked back.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the things that bugs me the most about the game. It's so close to being a really amazing game but they never go all the way or they switch directions or just flat out drop the ball.

It makes me wish for a truly single player (even if co-op leaning) Star Wars RPG where it can be truly reactive

Indeed. SWTOR did a lot of things right, but sometimes they were undermined by MMO conventions and sometimes they just inexplicably did not follow through (probably because whoever was working on it ran out of time). It's really frustrating because about 80% of the work for a great game is there, but there's no way its potential will ever be realized.

Also, the stuff about Revan and the Exile is just annoying. KotOR I and II went out of their ways to provide some relatively different endings depending on the player's choices only for this one to collapse all of that down to one rather stupid continuation. I'm just going to ignore it.

• 3 weeks later...