Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AMD Ryzen

AMD Zen Ryzen

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2186 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's a pretty weird set of circumstances where it blue screens...

The main problem is that it's just plain old and fundamentally needs replacing. It's not always a bsd, that's shorthand for bsds, lockups, spontaneous reboots etc.

It has always been finicky about the case, only other times I've had instability problems was when I cross threaded a case screw (!!, yes, that finicky) and when I lost a screw and did the case up without it- until I got a replacement off of an old case. Everyone I asked about it thought it was a weird problem as well, only explanation I ever got was that it might be the MB warping or the case tensioning/ straining it somehow.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6806 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Seems like you should have replaced it a while ago, Intel CPUs weren't -that- bad to you,surely :p

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts

That does seem like the really only logical explanation. I had kinda similar problems with my previous video card where it reacted to heat strangely...warping or perhaps micro-cracks in the PCB were causing it to artifact at low heat (i.e. on desktop) but it generally worked perfectly fine when it was actually hot (i.e. playing games).

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6546 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

You're right.  Edited my post to make it correct.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2186 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Seems like you should have replaced it a while ago, Intel CPUs weren't -that- bad to you,surely :p

I've been extremely satisfied with my now ancient Core2Duo, it would play pretty much any game up until recently and has been 100% reliable for ten years. Could not have asked for more and it will get the electronic equivalent of burial with full honours (and repeated F pressing) when replaced.

I've been less happy with Intel over that time though, they've mostly coasted on their advantage and a situation with no AMD competition would mean Skylake-> Kabylake type transitions where the improvements are... limited would be further encouraged. To be honest though, their products looked significantly overpriced/ under featured even before the Ryzen leaks, and now they don't (from the leaks at least) look competitive against the AMD offerings in terms of what I want- future proofing, with things like current game performance decidedly secondary. Ideally, I want a CPU that will last for another ten years, and I simply cannot see an Intel chip doing that as well as Ryzen at this point.

It's basically the same situation with nVidia, was happy with their cards but not happy with their attitude, and bought AMD (and will again) since they'd support and improve them longer.

• Ganrich likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts

It's always been my wont to support AMD over Intel and nvidia for much the same reasons (plus AMD has always been the underdog against both)...but when I had a chance to get a $90 i7-4770k, well, I kinda had to take it, especially with AMD's desktop CPUs being so bad for so long. :p

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6806 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well, figured it'd be something ideological. I've gone with Intel for the last 3 builds as they were better than the alternatives at the time (though one was just because I couldn't find AMD when I wanted to build, bastard Bitcoin miners I think).

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2186 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It isn't ideological for me- I've been happy with all the Intel processors I've used and if Intel offered a better product at a better price I would still buy from them. Doesn't look like they will though, and I certainly don't have so much loyalty to Intel that I'd buy a worse product just for the brand. The feeling that they should have been offering better products for less certainly doesn't help, but that is the only ideological part.

OTOH my attitude towards nVidia probably is ideological- I'd actively avoid their products if possible and would have bought a 480 over a 1060 even when the 1060 appeared to be better value. That that would have been a good decision due to AMD's driver improvement would just reinforce the decision.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts

The driver thing is weird - for so long, AMD always had such a bad reputation for their drivers, while nvidia was lauded for theirs. Now, in like the past year, maybe two years, it seems to have reversed a bit. Was there a specific event that caused nvidia to suddenly get a worse reputation for their drivers?

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1807 posts

The driver thing is weird - for so long, AMD always had such a bad reputation for their drivers, while nvidia was lauded for theirs. Now, in like the past year, maybe two years, it seems to have reversed a bit. Was there a specific event that caused nvidia to suddenly get a worse reputation for their drivers?

Burning cards with faulty drivers, beta drivers becoming hotfix drivers and AMD coming out with Vulcan. It's a combination of Nvidia getting worse and AMD getting better,

Just remembered the period where my 560ti was not supported for a couple of months (3 or more) because the new drivers BSOD the PC on that architecture. The amount of time they needed to fix that issue was embarrassing.

Edited by Sarex, 23 February 2017 - 01:24 AM.

• Bartimaeus likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've been extremely satisfied with my now ancient Core2Duo, it would play pretty much any game up until recently and has been 100% reliable for ten years. Could not have asked for more and it will get the electronic equivalent of burial with full honours (and repeated F pressing) when replaced.

I've been less happy with Intel over that time though, they've mostly coasted on their advantage and a situation with no AMD competition would mean Skylake-> Kabylake type transitions where the improvements are... limited would be further encouraged. To be honest though, their products looked significantly overpriced/ under featured even before the Ryzen leaks, and now they don't (from the leaks at least) look competitive against the AMD offerings in terms of what I want- future proofing, with things like current game performance decidedly secondary. Ideally, I want a CPU that will last for another ten years, and I simply cannot see an Intel chip doing that as well as Ryzen at this point.

It's basically the same situation with nVidia, was happy with their cards but not happy with their attitude, and bought AMD (and will again) since they'd support and improve them longer.

if you look back you can see that most of the time it was AMD that made the most innovations but intel and nvidia were the more famous brand names so amd never managed to get the market share it deserved, resulting in poor products... until the console deal got them the money they needed to get back in the game with the RX470/480 and now Ryzen

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2186 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

R5 chips are now slated for Q2, R3 for 2nd half of 2017.

On the positive side though at 500NZD* for a 1700 the 8 cores are within budget and I could even stretch to an X model if pressed despite having to buy a custom cooler as well. Depends if the old computer carks it soon or not. I was expecting at least $100 more for the CPU given our tech prices are usually inflated massively compared to US.

*about $50 less than it 'should' be given the US price, after currency conversion and 15% GST so a very good deal.

Edited by Zoraptor, 23 February 2017 - 01:46 PM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

pw1L1Es.png

• Azdeus likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

I'm not one bit surprised if it turns out to be accurate.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6806 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm not one bit surprised if it turns out to be accurate.

In a way that makes it more likely to be false. I like the Jew remark there, hilarious kids these days. :p

Is some fuss about them offering rebates to IT departments on Reddit. Not quite sure it is Jihad time yet for that.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8434 posts

Gotta love all these little leaks:

http://wccftech.com/...ing-benchmarks/

Also gotta love that they're comparing a 500 dollar CPU to a 1000+ dollar CPU..

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts

"The 1800X is said to even outperform the Kaby Lake speed demon i7 7700K in single threaded performance and the 10-core i7 6950X $1700 desktop flagship Intel HEDT processor across the board with a one-click auto-overclock on air cooling."

Uh, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it...from a better source. Even with overclocking, that's just a little much to believe.

• Sarex likes this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4480 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Didn't this same thing happen with Radeon 480?

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1807 posts

http://www.guru3d.co...sor-prices.html

Scroll down for a comment regarding Intel's mails to reviewers.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2186 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Didn't this same thing happen with Radeon 480?

To be fair, the 480 was exactly where AMD said it would be- around 390-/x level. Well, apart from PCIe power draw, at least. People got over hyped by things like its async compute scores which were always going to be better than nVidia as their cards are crap at that, same as nVidia would murder AMD cards at tesselation.

So long as people keep their expectations reasonable and accept that there will be limitations and problems with a new launch the hype train should not derail.

Then again, while beating the 7700k in single threaded in a like-for-like (ie not overclocked 1800x on very good cooling in a top line MB vs stock 7700k in a low cost B or H MB) test is not a reasonable expectation given the Ryzen has twice the cores I've seen an awful lot of people who suddenly think that ST performance is the paramount factor in choosing a chip and that cores/ threads are unimportant around the net lately. Fanboys gonna fan, for both sides.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AMD, Zen, Ryzen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users