Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

3.05 Live on Steam

hotfix patch 3.05 firebug

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Sking

Sking

QA Lead

• Developers
  • 607 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

3.05 patch is now live on Steam (GoG, and Mac stores will be early next week.) This is a baby patch, just 2 changes (listed below.) I cannot confirm/deny this will be our last patch. We will still be checking in on the forums and making sure nothing serious comes up. 

Only one fix: 

• Stalwart auto-save no longer jumbles up creatures stats

Only one change:

• Dropped The Unlabored Blade 'Firebug' proc from 10% to 3%

Keep on, keeping on,

- Sking

• Infinitron, Suen, AndreaColombo and 4 others like this

Achilles

Achilles

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1398 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hey Sking,

Any word on the Lost shader issue? I hate to be a pest but multiple Obsidian folks have told me that it's being looked at and I never hear anything about it. If it can't be fixed, please just tell me so that I can move on.

Thanks!

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts
First patch that i don't want to install.
What's next item you planning to nerf? Share your plans)
  • Luzeryn likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1637 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

First patch that i don't want to install.

I feel the same. I'm actually really disappointed Obsidian implemented this change: not so much because of the change itself (although it has dashed my plans for building around the Unlabored Blade, and reduce the pool of good* soulbound weapons to three) but rather what it suggests I can expect from soulbound weapons in PoE2 i.e. not much.

@Sking: is there any chance you could explain the rationale for this nerf and at least pass on the fact that it doesn't seem to have been wanted (see your announcement thread). I don't particularly expect it to be rolled back (though I would be happy if it were) but at the least it would be good if the dev team for PoE2 would realise this multiplayer style balancing is neither wanted nor desirable in a single player CRPG and leads to unexciting items.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate how much work Obsidian have put into PoE after release compared to many (most?) developers. But this sort of change is not wanted (as far as I can tell at least).

*Not great, good.

• ShadySands and Wagner235 like this

DiabolicallyRandom

DiabolicallyRandom

Aleax of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:DreamWraith
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer

For a minor patch, you must have totally fubar'd steam. 1.3 GB download, and I'm not the only one. https://www.reddit.c...b_update_today/

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1637 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

For a minor patch, you must have totally fubar'd steam. 1.3 GB download, and I'm not the only one. https://www.reddit.c...b_update_today/

As mentioned in that Reddit thread, Steam's patcher simply rewrites the entire game file that contains the change. I predict GOG's patch will be a few MB.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

What about this, freakin' balance tweakers?
111-0-1464327629.jpg

Maybe, you should spent your time fixing bugs?

Wagner235

Wagner235

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts
this multiplayer style balancing is neither wanted nor desirable in a single player CRPG

I agree with JerekKruger. In fact, this balance "cancer" leads to stupid ideas where magic is equal to bare fists and daggers.

So yes, balance in single RPGs is making me sad.

Edited by Wagner235, 23 November 2016 - 06:31 AM.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thanks for the fix! As for the change in the Unlabored Blade, I agree with the others. I remember taking a long time to develop that weapon and now it doesn't seen worth it.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I agree with JerekKruger. In fact, this balance "cancer" leads to stupid ideas where magic is equal to bare fists and daggers.

Lack of balance leads to Dragon Age.
Dragon Age makes me sad.
  • Mamoulian War, Katarack21, Raven Darkholme and 1 other like this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Dragon Age makes me sad.

Some time ago, when sabres was nerfed, i've seen one comment on some site: "Leave game alone ffc, you f*** autists, spare your time and money for making new games" - i like it. Briefly and crearly.

Wagner235

Wagner235

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts

Dragon Age makes me sad.

But why? Yes, mechanic of that game was simple (just as in BG/IWD/Planescape and many other old school games), but at least some magic felt like something to fear of - Inferno, fireballs, tempest and few more. And now, all i can see are FIREWORKS, just because you can not make fireball stronger then rapier.

• Phenomenum and Gabriel21 like this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

"just because you can not make fireball stronger then rapier." - Hit the bull's eye.

Edited by Phenomenum, 23 November 2016 - 08:08 AM.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1785 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

But why? Yes, mechanic of that game was simple (just as in BG/IWD/Planescape and many other old school games), but at least some magic felt like something to fear of - Inferno, fireballs, tempest and few more. And now, all i can see are FIREWORKS, just because you can not make fireball stronger then rapier.

Because in Dragon Age, you had to bring two mages to be effective, one as support and another as a damage dealer. In fact, it would be most effective to bring 4 as they were strictly more powerful than other classes, but I digress.

I can bring anybody I want to in Pillars of Eternity and my party'll probably work if I put some thought into it. Balanced system is a system which ensures that whatever you enjoy about the game, you can enjoy it without worrying about it being broken by design. If you enjoy punching people over magic, I don't see why the game should tell you "NO!" and make it more difficult just for the heck of it.

Pillars of Eternity is probably the most balanced SP RPG I have ever played, which means that when a build doesn't work, it's entirely my fault, not fault of the game. This, in turn, means I can have fun creating crazy builds without worrying that the game'll punch me in the face for literally no reason. The game got to this stage by not listening to people whine incessantly whenever a balance change was made - and Obsidian, I for one thank you for this.

"just because you can not make fireball stronger then rapier." - Hit the bull's eye.

You know what, you're right, I discussed this with David Copperfield and he ensured me that magical fireballs are, in fact, more powerful than rapiers. Can't argue with realism now can we?

Edited by Fenixp, 23 November 2016 - 08:11 AM.

• rheingold and Raven Darkholme like this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

"You know what, you're right, I discussed this with David Copperfield and he ensured me that magical fireballs are, in fact, more powerful than rapiers. Can't argue with realism now can we?" - you smoked?

Fenixp

Fenixp

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1785 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

"You know what, you're right, I discussed this with David Copperfield and he ensured me that magical fireballs are, in fact, more powerful than rapiers. Can't argue with realism now can we?" - you smoked?

I'm more interested in why are you worrying about power of fireballs vs rapiers and don't mind at all that majority of mages who get hit in their faces with a lead bullet would probably have to reconsider their career. Most would work well as a professional coffin fodder.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

"I'm more interested in why are you worrying about power of fireballs vs rapiers" - wait, it's was just figure of speach. And it's not my figure.
My mind was: "I don't know why Obsidian have engage in this nonsense - tweaking items and so on. Looks like there no any other problems in game, exept poor sabres and Unlabored blade - no trash abilities, no bugs... Every time, when community ask them to pay attention on сertain issues in game balance or bugs, they listen just what they want listen and skipping past huge amount of useful information, and tweaking things when nobody asked for.
Seems they live in somewhat parallel universe. I don't know how to explain their behavior line."

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

Would you argue?

Livegood118

Livegood118

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

With a little bit of tinkering in the Unity Asset Bundle Extractor the game is perfectly tweakable according to your tastes – I wouldn't worry about little small things like this in the long run.

Like, with a small bit of know-how you should be able to open up the Unlaboured Blade and tweak it to how you want it. 

wqewqe234

wqewqe234

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ugh, always random nerfs to things that don't really need nerfing...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hotfix, patch, 3.05, firebug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users