Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Laptop suggestions

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4492 posts

I still want one though.

Damn. I can feel my restraint slipping away. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4492 posts

Aaaand I failed. Ordered the most expensive version. I feel guity now. And those 5-7 days can't go fast enough.

• Intel® CoreTM i7
• 512GB
• 16GB
• NVIDIA Quadro M1000M graphics with 4GB GDDDR5 VRAM

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4492 posts

Only a dual core though. Didn't know they even still made those. Still should be the business for design.

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5127 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Only a dual core though. Didn't know they even still made those. Still should be the business for design.

Is it an ultra low voltage chip? Those are normally dual core.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4492 posts

Maybe to save on TPD because it's a mobile device ?

Wacom got a lot of flak with the last iteration of their tablet PC because of fan noise and heat. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4492 posts

Pen function is the best i've ever tried on a digitiser and i can now run my applications anywhere i go.  Dunno if its worth 3200 euro though. Anyway never spending that much on one again. Wacoms monopoly is showing signs of finally breaking. We are going to have better options in their segment in a few years time.

Terminator

Terminator

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts

I am considering if I might buy the game Grand Theft Auto 5. I am still playing Pillars of Eternity though keep in mind that I have not owned

Pillars of Eternity for many weeks.

This is partcularly laptop speed. My laptop has Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB DDR5

http://laptopmedia.c...nce-comparison/

Please note that Nvidia 1050 Ti is faster then this Nvidia 1050. That said there is not so much difference maybe 5-10 frames faster depending on the game.

GTA 5 (1080p, Medium)

Nvidia 1050 61 fps

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 37 fps

GTA 5 (1080p, Max)

Nvidia 1050 19 frames

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 15 fps

Now I do understand that game even if Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB DDR5 is slightly faster then Nvidia 1050 2GB DDR5 that Max settings FULL HD does not give good framerate. Propably some adjusted settings example High settings and it is not a FPS so I don't think 60+ constant frames is so important.

F1 2015 (1080p, Medium)

Nvidia 1050 64 fps

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 48 fps

F1 2015 (1080p, Max)

Nvidia 1050 47 frames

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 31 fps

I doubt I will buy F1 2015 even if I would run that at max settings FULL HD. However you never know if the price is like 5-10 euro+shipping then I might. I bought Battlefield 3 for 8 euro+ shipping costs.

Edited by Terminator, 08 June 2017 - 09:35 AM.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2442 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I might be in the market for a new laptop soon as mine can't even sustain a charge for 90 minutes anymore and I often need it to last for 3 or 4 hours

What's so hot right now?

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd suspect that right now is a poor time to be buying unless you have to. The Zen based AMD mobile chips ought to be out later this year, and they should have an even better power/ value balance than desktop Ryzen has. Coffeelake on the Intel side should be out soon (next month, supposedly) as well.

Personally I'd look at buying a new battery if I could find one for a non extortionate amount. It's almost always the battery failing to charge rather than the laptop's fault.

• ShadySands likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 2442 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Thanks for that, I'll see about waiting it out.

The replacement battery is only going to run me about 100 bucks but in my mind I'm just thinking that could be 100 bucks towards something new. It wasn't a pricey laptop in the first place which is why I'm hesitant to spend much on it now a few years later.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1484 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

could you link the laptop model/battery replacement you're looking at? battery replacements, even OEM ones, are usually never nearly that expensive. I've replaced many laptop batteries over the years for laptops that people said were "broken" and I think the most expensive I've ever ran is like $30.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 14 September 2017 - 06:43 PM.

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 2442 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

C31N1339

I've found it for a under 50 bucks pretty easily and under 30 used but I don't really care about that. I just want a new laptop dammit! ;P 

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1484 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

well, in that case, why did you even look up the battery replacement to begin with, :p

it does drive me a little crazy how cavalier some people are about replacing entire laptops when it's just a battery replacement away from working perfectly again, though...

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8459 posts

I bought my last laptop in 2009. After 8 years it couldn't charge more than 20-30% and it would run out in like 10-15 minutes.

I looked up what a new battery would cost. 1500 SEK (~188 USD). Sure, it's cheaper than an entirely new laptop, but.. who the hell would spend that much on an 8 year old computer?

I bought a new laptop for 800 USD instead.

english-xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-12-5-13-3

It's the silver one to the right. It weighs 1 kg, has around 11-12 hours of battery time, 12.5 inch 1080p IPS screen, full metal body, Core i5-7Y54, 8 GB 1866MHz RAM, 256 GB Samsung SSD, quick charger (30-40 minutes for 50% charge) and AKG speakers (surprisingly good for such a small device). It's perfect for my needs (bedroom/travel laptop for surfing and watching the occasional movie).

It's called the Xiaomi Air 12. Only disadvantage so far was the Win 10 Home version in Chinese. I bought a cheap Win 10 Pro license, got the drivers from Xiaomi's forums and did a complete reinstall. Worked perfectly.

• ShadySands likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1823 posts

They do laptops too?!?

• ShadySands likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users