Pillars of eternity or Tyranny?

kolpo

It is possible to play the game more than once.

I have a limited amount of free time and a short attention span, I rather focus on one game at time.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

There is no way to get to WM as a standalone and it starts like in the middle of the core game, so I advise to get WM if you want from the start.

Well to be more precise, it starts somewhere towards the end of Act II, so the safe bet is buying it when you finish Act I and really like the game.

Pilars of Eternity has improved immensely with patches. Some people might think to themselves: WTF are obsidian still tinkering with the game over one year after release, but it's actually much more fun to play now. I liked Pillars of Eternity and I like it more now. Tyranny is good, but I feel like it isn't on par with Pillars, which is one of my favorite games recently, despite the fact that the writing can be long winded.

• Like 3

I'm enjoying Tyranny a lot more than PoE so far in terms of worldbuilding/lore/writing/pacing.

Tyranny's pacing is very bad after act 1. Too many same template quests not to mention the goal of each act is the same and I expected to be required to report to Tunon after each act, maybe some more court intrigue could have helped with the pacing but no; he calls for us once after act 1 and one more towards the end.

I am sad to see the great pacing of Tyranny's Act I give way to the relentless combat grind of Act II reminiscent of Pillars.  On a positive note, I find myself constantly actually role playing in Tyranny.  I have a vision for my character, her goals, her motivations, her tendencies, and I act accordingly.  I don't try to power game it, I don't look at the choices presented to me and think "well, this might net me a nice item, or some money or favor with this companion", I make my choice in accordance with how I feel my character would handle the situation and then deal with the consequences.  I was never really able to get that into my character in Pillars.  It wasn't for lack of trying, it's that I never cared about the story nor the setting nor the characters enough for it to click like it has in Tyranny.  The fact that I wield great power and have people's lives in the palm of my hand really helps in Tyranny too.  I feel like my choices really matter, even if some of them are only an illusion of choice.  The Conquest thing at the beginning and having characters in the world refer to the choices I made and shift their reputation accordingly was also a stroke of genius, IMHO.  I feel immersed in this world, I never managed to get really immersed in Pillars' world.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Conquest thing at the beginning and having characters in the world refer to the choices I made and shift their reputation accordingly was also a stroke of genius, IMHO.

this was the one thing about Tyranny I really liked, and it set my expectations to such high levels, that by the game's middle I was disappointed and couldn't bring myself to play it anymore. I'll probably pick it up next year, when all of the DLCs are out and the game is patched

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

PoE is superior in basically every way, especially after the patches and the expansion.

Tyranny's gameplay, ui, encounter and area design are just way weaker than PoE's. The world's background is fairly interesting and reactivity is better than Eternity (though not as good as AP or NV), but that doesn't make up for the incredibly small maps with nothing to do besides killing enemies, combat which is the dumbed down version of PoE, with less companions, no friendly fire, cooldowns but it's still more chaotic and confusing and also it poses no challenge to the player since it's just too easy (at least at Hard), you face the same groups of enemies for the entirety of the game with almost no variance whatsoever and it gets annoying soon, and Act 2 is a goddamned slog (Act 3 only starts with interesting premises again but after one hour you've finished the game).

Also, from the game marketed as the one where "evil won" I expected something more impressive in that regard and less politically correct bullsh1t. Kyros' laws promote equality between genders, races, give the same opportunities to the rich and the poor... it doesn't make sense in a supposedly evil faction, even without considering the fact that the game was supposed to take place in a Bronze Age inspired setting and not in a 21th century inspired one. In the end, the Bronze Age inspiration turned out in having javelins as a weapon, everything else has nothing to do with Ancient Greece or whatever they claimed was their source for the game, and in fact the Tiers' population has the mindset of 20/21th century americans in many aspects of their lives, which doesn't make sense. 

Pillars on the other hand had a lot darker setting, with real nasty things going on such as the Waidwen's Legacy, the controversity surrounding animancy, the Purges against Eothas' followers, racism and hatred against orlans, Glanfathan, outsiders, and a lot of other things that made the world felt more grounded, real and believable.

• Like 2

I like the combat/rule system in this game it reminds me of 5e D&D in many aspects. Chanter is great in long fights and priest is also fun and very versatile. Only wizard isn't that good but I suppose he get's better with levels. Fighter is also good in his role as damage sponge :)

Pilars of Eternity has improved immensely with patches. Some people might think to themselves: WTF are obsidian still tinkering with the game over one year after release, but it's actually much more fun to play now. I liked Pillars of Eternity and I like it more now. Tyranny is good, but I feel like it isn't on par with Pillars, which is one of my favorite games recently, despite the fact that the writing can be long winded.

Yeah this is true, I read in several places that this game doesn't have combat AI but it does have combat AI you can configure. A lot has chanced since release.

I like the combat/rule system in this game it reminds me of 5e D&D in many aspects. Chanter is great in long fights and priest is also fun and very versatile. Only wizard isn't that good but I suppose he get's better with levels. Fighter is also good in his role as damage sponge  :)

Yeah this is true, I read in several places that this game doesn't have combat AI but it does have combat AI you can configure. A lot has chanced since release.

For wizard to be good, you really need to specialize in 2 maybe 3 schools and spam spells when you can, plus always train lore when you can. Exploration is key as there are some key accents and without which you lose a lot of power, like multiple projectiles for ranged spell, or smaller radius with more strikes for Storm type spells (so you can basically secure that all its strikes will hit your targets of choices - or longer range + cone width for cone spells) - also blur and healing spells are a must for non mages, so they can benefit something useful and you are not reliant only on one source of buffs and heals (Lantry)