Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A beginner's guide [guide edition 1.2]

guide game guide pillars of eternity guide basic guide beginner guide

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
Well thank you thank you. Guess I should get around quickly to finish of the classes :)

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3185 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

One thing worth mentioning under the Damage Reduction header is that armors' damage reduction bonuses and penalties against specific damage types are percentage based, and proofing your armor against one of those damage types is going to have an amplified/diminished effect accordingly. This is something that made several users scratch their heads and report intended behaviors as bugs in the early days, as the UI generally does a poor job of communicating it.

For example, say you have an armor whose base DR value is 8, but it is particularly good against Slash damage (10) and bad against Crush (6). These values are obtained as 8 * 1.25 = 10 (Slash) and 8 * (1-0.25) = 6 (Crush).

Now let's say we want to apply a damage proofing enchantment to this armor. Against any damage type other than Slash or Crush, proofing adds a flat +3 to the armor's DR: 8 + 3 = 11.

If, however, we proof it against Slash damage, we are getting more bang for our buck: (8+3) * 1.25 = 13.75, which the UI will round up to 14.

Likewise, proofing it against Crush damage gets you less bang for your buck: (8+3) * (1-0.25) = 8.25, which the UI will round down to 8.

Counterintuitively, you get more out of proofing your armor against damage types it's already good at protecting you from. The same is true of the bonus DR applied by the Fine, Exceptional, Superb, and Legendary quality enchantments.

Edited by AndreaColombo, 08 November 2016 - 02:07 PM.

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
Thanks, I will get to it. Been sick lately, and I didn't want to produce medicore work. I'll update it together with the next set of classes. Or you allow me to copy and paste, then I can do it now.

Edited by Ben No.3, 08 November 2016 - 02:27 PM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Totally fine with copy-pasting if you want :)

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
Alright, added and credited :)

Edited by Ben No.3, 08 November 2016 - 02:41 PM.

• AndreaColombo likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think that's something I knew and forgot Andrea. It makes sense, but I can definitely see why it caused confusion. It's a little annoying though, as by inclination I'd want to X proof armour against whatever it's worst against to try and create a well balanced suit.

The same also (seems to*) apply to the quality enchants (fine, exceptional etc.). This means that the weaknesses of armour types will be amplified as the quality of the armour goes up. Obviously this is less important for enchanting, since you're not picking a specific resistance to proof against, but it's still interesting to note.

*Exceptional breastplate is +4 DR, but only +3 DR to Burn and Freeze.

EDIT: also congrats on being stickied Ben :)

EDIT2: I just noticed Andrea already covered this. I need to learn to read more carefully.

Edited by JerekKruger, 09 November 2016 - 12:13 AM.

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
I am now gonna update it (finally I get to it :) ) with the chanter and cipher classes... Can we agree that the chanter ultimately only needs intellect?

EDIT: Just lost all my changes due to pressing the wrong button :banghead:
So sorry for the delay, led to me only managing to fit the chanter in today :( I'll get to the rest, hopefully I can manage one class daily and definitely more on the weekend.

Edited by Ben No.3, 09 November 2016 - 04:23 PM.

Maphyr

Maphyr

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Thank you for creating and maintaining this guide.  

New player here and I don't want to wiki warrior the game but I do what an basic understanding of what I'm getting myself into... this guide is perfect.

Also gives me some solid reading material while the client downloads. :)

• AndreaColombo, Raven Darkholme and Boeroer like this

GreenShrike

GreenShrike

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

One thing I'd like noted is the whole thing about Mechanics being used to spot hidden objects/treasure, and not just traps.

When I first started playing, I jacked my perception through the roof since I didn't want to miss anything hidden -- and then promptly wasn't able to find the hidden stuff e.g. near Durance's campsite when you first meet him, or the hidden stuff in the cave in Anslog's Compass, because my Mechanics I was just bumping up to deal with whatever level the locks and traps I was coming across were. However, when going back to those maps later in the game for bounties, the hidden spots lit up just fine.

To avoid confusion, I'd put a note under Perception saying it *isn't* used for detecting hidden spots, but rather Mechanics is. And explain under Mechanics that, like traps, hidden spots have 'levels' and you need that level or better in Mechanics to successfully detect them.

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

Thanks for the feedback, added it :)

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
Hey,
I wanted to quickly expand this thread, but nothing happened. This might seem odd, and here I am to say sorry.

so at the moment my real life is taking me over. People rely on me and I'm not planning on letting them down, so this thread sadly needs to wait.

Now, if anyone feels like adding something, then please do so. Anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
  • Raven Darkholme likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No worries Ben No.3, real life comes first, and you've already done an excellent job with this thread. 

• Raven Darkholme and Ben No.3 like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6110 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Your real life is Tyranny, right? ;)

• AndreaColombo and Raven Darkholme like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Whose isn't right now? ;)
  • Raven Darkholme, Boeroer and Ben No.3 like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Whose isn't right now? ;)

Mine due to my pauper status. Also I have started taking my PhD more seriously...

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

In a sense... But sadly an actual tyranny rather than the game ;)

Na, sh!t happens and it can be dealt with. Truth is though I have very little time at the moment :(
Heck, I haven't even bought the game yet... Can to believe that?

Edited by Ben No.3, 21 November 2016 - 11:47 AM.

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

In a sense... But sadly an actual tyranny rather than the game ;)

Na, sh!t happens and it can be dealt with. Truth is though I have very little time at the moment :(
Heck, I haven't even bought the game yet... Can to believe that?

Lies. :p

• AndreaColombo likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
I wish they were... :)

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

:)

All the best to you.

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
Thank you very much Raven :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide, game guide, pillars of eternity guide, basic guide, beginner guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users