Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A beginner's guide [guide edition 1.2]

guide game guide pillars of eternity guide basic guide beginner guide

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

how do I do that? :wacko: Talk to an moderator, I'm assuming?

Yeah, only moderators can do that. Drop a PM to Pidesco; he's helping me maintain the build list thread ;)

Thank you very much :)
  • AndreaColombo likes this

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think in terms of skills, a little more detail would be good. Just things like you get 6 points per each level after the first, for 66 total without the expansions at level 12, 78 at level 14 with only the with the White March part I installed and 90 at level 16 with both expansions installed. With a base of zero in a skill the first level costs one point, the second two, etc. Class and background bonuses give you a base level in a skill, so a Colonist Barbarian would have a base 3 in Survival (+2 for Colonist, +1 for Barbarian) and now the fourth skill level can be bought for one point, the fifth for two, etc. Any unspent skill points roll over to the next level up, so in this way you can buy the seventh level and higher in a skill.

Something like that ;)

Edited by Jojobobo, 05 November 2016 - 03:04 AM.

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Granted, that might be some quite useful if not cruicial information ;)

• Jojobobo likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Alrght, I fixed that 

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2027 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A suggestion: if Ben No.3 doesn't have the time to write up a section on basic character building advice, perhaps other board members could write one up, then Ben could copy paste it into the OP. I'm not sure I'm really qualified to write one for any class, but I could collate the information in this thread for a Barbarian guide.

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

A suggestion: if Ben No.3 doesn't have the time to write up a section on basic character building advice, perhaps other board members could write one up, then Ben could copy paste it into the OP. I'm not sure I'm really qualified to write one for any class, but I could collate the information in this thread for a Barbarian guide.

The problem is not time, it is qualification ;) I am by no means an expert on every single class. 

I will start a basic overview over the classes later today or tomorrow... So for example stats, playstyle, focus of abilties/spells, role in a party and so on. But if there is a demand for a more detailed guide around here (rather than the actual guides), then yes, help would be appreciated. :)

But wouldn't that sort of create a competition beteween the guide annd the builds list? Because that is something I want to avoid... Shouldn't we leave the build guides to the build guides?

Edited by Ben No.3, 05 November 2016 - 03:53 AM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2027 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well my guess is I am no more qualified that you are Ben, I was simply going to give a description of what each ability does, an idea of how good it is, and some notes on less obvious aspects of abilities. For example, a new player might not understand that Heart of Fury will generate separate carnage templates for each enemy it hits, leading to a truly ludicrous potential number of hits against large, tightly packed groups. Without that knowledge, they could be forgiven for thinking that, even as a 1/encounter ability, it's fairly unexciting.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Well my guess is I am no more qualified that you are Ben, I was simply going to give a description of what each ability does, an idea of how good it is, and some notes on less obvious aspects of abilities. For example, a new player might not understand that Heart of Fury will generate separate carnage templates for each enemy it hits, leading to a truly ludicrous potential number of hits against large, tightly packed groups. Without that knowledge, they could be forgiven for thinking that, even as a 1/encounter ability, it's fairly unexciting.

There will be a huge problem when doing that when it comes to staying objektive. Also, considering class guides have already been done to perfection on these forums, I doubt the guide could live up to that standard. And even if, what is the sense in having the same guide twice?

But what I can perfectly imagine is a basic overview over the classes and maybe a "hidden gems" section where there is knowledge about spells and abilities collected that may not be obvious at first. I'd definitley need help with that though ;)

HOWEVER if you have something you'd like to add do so!! It will be used in one way or another

Edited by Ben No.3, 05 November 2016 - 04:04 AM.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts
Any help is greatly appreciated :)

But I want to avoid creating a guide like nerdcommando's on steam, that gives the impression all classes must be build that or that way or they suck.

Edited by Ben No.3, 05 November 2016 - 04:07 AM.

• Boeroer likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2027 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well the class guides on the forum are usually for specific builds rather than general advice. Some of the guides are even based around the idea of taking an ability that is generally not very good, but becomes powerful when combined with gear, talents and other abilities in a non-obvious way.

Meanwhile, my guess is most new players want to build their characters organically whilst playing, and just want some guidance on which abilities are good and which are bad. Obviously, as you say, there's the danger of personal bias creeping in, which is why ideally the commentary should be backed up by some rough calculations - considering Heart of Fury again: you target it over a group of five, tightly packed enemies (not a particularly rare occurrence) you have the potential of hitting all of them five times (once with the main attack and four times with carnage attacks) and fairly simple estimates will quickly show that it is an objectively powerful ability in this situation (obviously a comment mentioning that against a single enemy it's not that great should be added).

• Ben No.3 likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2027 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

But I want to avoid creating a guide like nerdcommando's on steam, that gives the impression all classes must be build that or that way or they suck.

Definitely!

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts
Cool...

Well see how we develop the issue of classes. Right now (edit: should have been this evening, will be tomorrow morning) I'll give an overview, and mark it as WIP. if anyone wants to contribute, please do so. But remain as objektive as possible. ;)

I think the "hidden gems section" might work out better... contributers don't need to write for ever and ever, but the result will be (somewhat) similar. "Hidden gems" would obviously be sorted by class. But if there is a demand for full on guides I'll see what I can do. :)

Edited by Ben No.3, 05 November 2016 - 04:54 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7047 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

And besides that - he has no idea what's good and what sucks I'd say... recommending a fighter tank with Overbearing Guard. Pffff! ;)

• Raven Darkholme and Ben No.3 like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3266 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hey, hey, hey! Wait a second there... :p
  • Raven Darkholme and Ben No.3 like this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

You think that is the worst part? In his spell review for the wizad, combusting wounds is under the "junk" category  :facepalm: And call to slumber is apparently as well junk... 

Edited by Ben No.3, 05 November 2016 - 10:02 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7047 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As I said: no idea! :) I guess he likes rogues... ;)

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1715 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

Nerdcommando?

Is that the guy who recommends 3 Mi 3 Per tanks?

edit: good job Ben. :)

Edited by Raven Darkholme, 05 November 2016 - 12:48 PM.

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Well, thank you thank you.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

I have added an section introducing the wizard, priest and druid class. What do we think of this format?

Maybe I could add one or two high level spells or abilities per class... Sort of as "appetisers". Would mean I had to determine determine what spells should be presented...

Ideas or suggestions? :)

Edited by Ben No.3, 06 November 2016 - 04:38 AM.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6360 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

This thread is now pinned, as it seems quite useful and helpful.

• AndreaColombo, Raven Darkholme and Ben No.3 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide, game guide, pillars of eternity guide, basic guide, beginner guide

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users