Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A beginner's guide [guide edition 1.2]

guide game guide pillars of eternity guide basic guide beginner guide

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Welcome novice,

so, this guide is focused on introducing you to the very basics of Pillars of Eternity. It will give you an overview of what all the important numbers are, what they do and how you should handle them. I hope I can make you more familliar with the nature of the game and help you start off. If you have a question, please check if it is already answered here before opening a thread. Thanks :)

Health and endurance:

Spoiler

Attacks and defenses:

Spoiler

Damage types and damage reduction (DR):
Spoiler

Types of melee weapons and fighting styles:
Spoiler

Types of ranged weapons:
Spoiler

Attack speed and speed boni:

Spoiler

The atrributes and what they do:

Spoiler

Races:
Spoiler

Cultures:
Spoiler

Backgrounds:
Spoiler

Skills:

Spoiler

An short introduction into the classes:

heavy WIP

CLASSIC CASTERS:

Introduction
Spoiler

Wizard:
Spoiler

Druid:
Spoiler

Priest:
Spoiler

THE "NEW" CASTERS

Spoiler

Chanter

Spoiler

Cipher

Spoiler

Stacking rules:

Spoiler

A sidenote on summons and traps:

Spoiler

Why no detailed build guides for the classes?
Spoiler

Edited by Ben No.3, 12 November 2016 - 12:55 PM.

• Tale, Jojobobo, AndreaColombo and 3 others like this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

I will finish the guide as soon as I have a bit of time on my hands :)  (likely this evening)

This is meant for potential newcomers (a bit late, I know, but who knows what might happen ;) ) to give them a basic overview so they can follow the discussions on this forum more easily. 

Any feedback is welcome :)

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 139 posts

Hi, good idea!

Although I don't think you should give your opinion on the subject matters if they don't add anything to clear things up. Saying Endurance and Health is weird is your opinion. I don't think it is weird. The point you're trying to make however is that you have HP per encounter and overall HP and this is differentiated between endurance and health. Keep it short and simple. State what the facts are and explain why they are so. There is also information on the wiki (albeit quite dated in same cases).

Also less wall of text per block. Use paragraphs, and cleanup the info.

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts
Alright, thanks (weird as in unusual, that will be corrected)... I will add all that this evening.

Although I'm pretty sure endurance and health are the actual names(?)

Edited by Ben No.3, 02 November 2016 - 04:47 AM.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 139 posts

Yeah Endurance is HP per encounter and Health is overall HP, which when reduced to 0 will leave you in Maimed state until you rest (or die ;))

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Well... It is done for now. I already have a few modifications in mind... I will add them as soon as possible. If you have anythink you think should be up there please tell me :)

Slack83er

Slack83er

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

Good Job M8! ;)

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Thanks Slacker :)

Update: I have added an overview over ranged and melee combat as well as added a few details here and there.

Edited by Ben No.3, 02 November 2016 - 12:39 PM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3244 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
The time has come to address the bizarre elephant in the room: Stacking rules ;)
  • Boeroer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6634 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Watch out! That elephant has painted toenails!

Edited by Boeroer, 03 November 2016 - 12:26 AM.

• AndreaColombo likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1963 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The time has come to address the bizarre elephant in the room: Stacking rules ;)

It's turtles all the way down, right?

• AndreaColombo and Boeroer like this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

NOOOOOOOOO.... Not the stacking rules....

At some point, but not now. Hopefully until the end of the week, but that subject needs more... time ;) 

If anyone wants to contribute, I'm happy. Save me from my work?

No?

Well, damn...

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3244 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This thread should be made sticky, and even more so if it's going to include basic character building advice. You know, those basic concepts we all take for granted and (Boeroer) typically have to repeat in every thread in which a newcomer asks for advice (what are the most popular abilities by class; what are the most popular spells by caster class; what are the most popular weapons or pieces of equipment by character type; etc.)

In terms of stacking rules, without going too deep into how the code works (unless MaxQuest and Loren Tyr wanted to contribute), the basic concepts based on my understanding/memory are:

• Passive bonuses always stack. (e.g. bonuses from Durgan steel; bonuses from class abilities like Armored Grace, talents like Gunner, or story talents like Dungeon Delver.)
  • Active bonuses that affect the same thing and belong to the same category do not stack, and only the highest bonus applies at any given time (e.g. the Accuracy bonus from Disciplined Barrage doesn't stack with the Accuracy bonus from Scroll of Valor or War Paint; the damage bonus from Savage Attack doesn't stack with the bonus damage from Reckless Assault; the bonus speed from Frenzy doesn't stack with the bonus speed from Potion of DAOM.)
  • Active bonuses that affect the same thing but belong to different categories stack (e.g. the Accuracy bonus from Disciplined Barrage stacks with the Accuracy bonus from Devotions for the Faithful because the former affects Accuracy as a whole, whereas the latter explicitly affects Ranged Accuracy and Melee Accuracy individually.)
  • Most speed bonuses stack multiplicatively, with the notable exception of the Two Weapon Fighting talent which stacks additively. There's an explanation of this behavior in MaxQuest's thread about attack speed, which I suggest you link in the OP.
  • Bonuses to attributes or defenses granted by items do not stack, and only the highest applies at any given time (e.g. if you wear a Minor Ring of Deflection and a Ring of Deflection at the same time, you only get +9 from the latter; the former gets suppressed.)

Edited by AndreaColombo, 05 November 2016 - 12:47 AM.

• grausch, Boeroer and Ben No.3 like this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Yeah, I've spend some time with stacking rules and there clearly are some general rules as you said. Gonna update it right now. But there are also exeptions... For example an upgraded holy radiance (+10 acc, +2 all attributes, +2 move speed) stacks with everything. So, if anyone knows what these exeptions are and if they follow a rule, please tell me.

About classes... I wanted to avoid giving specific builds, both because there are so many excellent ones already and because I do not think I am in a position to do so. But yeah, maybe I can add a section about the role of every class in a party and about where it's abilities are generally heading.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6634 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Cool

Holy Radiance's talents are considered passive and therefore stack with everything.

BUT... it's sometimes very difficult to determine what is passive an what not. For example Shielding Flames (or was it Touch? Always mix that up) doesn't stack although it looks like it's a passive. Durgan Reinforcement's crit-to-hit conversion on armor doesn't stack with safeguarding on that same armor (see Hirbel's Protective Skin). But it works with shields.

And sometimes knowing what category a bonus belongs to is also not very easy.  Maybe it would be good to name bonuses by categories (like "deflection bonuses") and then list every single spell/ability/talent, name the category, tag it as passive or not (and maybe say if and how it stacks). I know, it's a ton of text. :)

Also, the last point (item bonuses) is only true if you don't take weapons and shields into account. For example the defense bonus to poison/disease of Wodewys stacks with everything, so does the herald enchantment of Outworn Buckler and Little Savior or the retaliation of Sura's Supper Plate or the MIG bonus of Godanythunyr or Abydon's Hammer. I don't mean to be a wisecrack - I just want to show that there are so many exceptions to those "basic" rules that it might be better to just list everything we know of. You can always do a full text search. ;)

And then comes the stacking of debuffs! Now that's totally messed up. ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 05 November 2016 - 01:15 AM.

• AndreaColombo and Ben No.3 like this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Update: added section on buff stacking rules. The section is not complete yet, but works as a general orientation. Also added short note on sumins and traps that might be helpful... took me quite some time to figure out how many traps or summons could be used when I started the game.

A giant list? Oh god.... I guess it would make sense, but I'm not trying to create a wiki, I'm trying to create a basic guide for a newcomer  ;)

But debuff stacking... I always assumed they work by the same rules? No? Why did no one tell me? ;)

Anyway, I think I'm gonna focus first on giving a overview over the classes (could turn out controvercial, so I will need to be careful) and take a small break from stacking rules. I will probably get back to that (mumbels inaudible, but annoyed) after I#ve done classes overview, but if you have anything that you think I should specifically add, go ahead

EDIT: What might be a possibility is to add a list of the "most confusing boni", but I'm afraid I lack the insight to create such a list :blink:

Edited by Ben No.3, 05 November 2016 - 02:27 AM.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

This thread should be made sticky

:w00t: WHAAAA.....

But seriously, I'm flattered you think so, but ...er... how do I do that? :wacko:  Talk to an moderator, I'm assuming?

Edited by Ben No.3, 05 November 2016 - 02:23 AM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1963 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh god.... I guess it would make sense, but I'm not trying to create a wiki, I'm trying to create a basic guide ;)

I'm afraid that's not longer your choice. We have committed you to writing a comprehensive guide to everything beginnery in PoE.

• AndreaColombo and peddroelm like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3244 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

how do I do that? :wacko:  Talk to an moderator, I'm assuming?

Yeah, only moderators can do that. Drop a PM to Pidesco; he's helping me maintain the build list thread ;)

• Ben No.3 likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

Oh god.... I guess it would make sense, but I'm not trying to create a wiki, I'm trying to create a basic guide ;)

I'm afraid that's not longer your choice. We have committed you to writing a comprehensive guide to everything beginnery in PoE.

Alright alright ;)

BUT: This guide is aimed at INTRODUCING new comers to the game... Not as a reference for those who already play it for quite some time. And while I agree I should give an introduction to all basic aspects of the game, I will not go ahead and give information where there is more confusion than help. I hope you understand that. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide, game guide, pillars of eternity guide, basic guide, beginner guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users