Chris Avellone hates Obsidian!

Infinitron

That's how it is, yes.

I know Chris' reactions my seem a bit immature, but as you guys have said. No one really knows what has happened.

regardless o' what occurred, chrisA actions do seem petty and small.  feargus coulda' kicked chrisA's cat into oncoming traffic and it wouldn't change the immaturity o' chrisA's response. we don't know what happened 'cause obsidian is staying public silent and 'cause chrisA is content to hint and suggest obsidian malfeasance.  is no way to spin chrisA response as anything other than immature and unprofessional.

'course we are talking 'bout the gaming industry, so looking for maturity is a quixotic endeavor. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think I saw a few ex-Obsidianites still using the same forum accounts. They just no longer said developer or whatever under it

Burke has posted since leaving for Bethesda, and he checks in with chat during twitch streams. But yeah, no dev tag anymore.

All Stop. On Screen.

"Victim blaming" was an expression used to talk about rape victims who were blamed for the abuse they went through, because people didn't want to place the blame on the actual abusers for various reasons (cultural, knowing the abuser personally, etc.)

I dunno if Avellone is a victim, I wasn't in the Obsidian offices when they had this split, but it's certainly not an expression appropriate for this situation."

TRIGGERED.

Nope, attacking Avellone is victim blaming. PERIOD.

"Pretty sure (90%?) that that happens to all employees who leave though."

he wasn't an employee. He wa sone of the owners/bosses and it is clear that the other co owners didn't respect him and listen to him. That's why he left. Though I hate saying anti Obsidian stuff on their boards (that have nothing to do wit actual quality of games) but that seems to be where Avellone is coming from. Only he and Avellone know what is true. Still, Avellone has made some awesome games. That's all that matters.

"Companies hate disruptive influences."

L0L Talent wins out. There are PLENTY of examples in game development where  a developer flat out trashed their ex employer or customers and still have full time employment. L0LZ

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's entirely possible that things weren't trivial, but if he was doing the passive aggressive hint dropping stuff at Obsidian it would certainly explain why nearly everyone ended up either ignoring or disliking him/ he felt that he was ignored and disliked* as that sort of approach is obnoxious to people just trying to do their job, and it tends towards being a vicious circle where the passive aggressiveness ends up as a persecution complex because people won't support you. And at the moment most of his objectively checkable complaints have not, er, checked out.

*he has said he only had one friend at Obsidian, which is both a bit sad but definitely indicates his problems were not just with senior management. I was the 'one friend' to someone in a similar situation and most of the time they were their own worst enemy whatever the justifications were in their dislike as they made themselves painful to work with.

I think this is a bit of a... reach, not knowing the man personally in any way.

• Like 1

L0L Talent wins out. There are PLENTY of examples in game development where  a developer flat out trashed their ex employer or customers and still have full time employment. L0LZ

Please do tell examples.

Hate the living, love the dead.

CITATION? Are you a stupid whiny Codexer SJW Nazi now?

Dave Gaider is just one example. he bashed BIO fanboys ALL THE TIME.

Tim Cain and the rest of Troika are others. They had no problem dissing BIS/Interplay after  they left yet they have had no problem finding work in the industry.

Seriously, DUDE, stop being so ignorant on how the world works.

It's entirely possible that things weren't trivial, but if he was doing the passive aggressive hint dropping stuff at Obsidian it would certainly explain why nearly everyone ended up either ignoring or disliking him/ he felt that he was ignored and disliked* as that sort of approach is obnoxious to people just trying to do their job, and it tends towards being a vicious circle where the passive aggressiveness ends up as a persecution complex because people won't support you. And at the moment most of his objectively checkable complaints have not, er, checked out.

*he has said he only had one friend at Obsidian, which is both a bit sad but definitely indicates his problems were not just with senior management. I was the 'one friend' to someone in a similar situation and most of the time they were their own worst enemy whatever the justifications were in their dislike as they made themselves painful to work with.

I think this is a bit of a... reach, not knowing the man personally in any way.

I don't know if Chris Avellone was passive-aggressive. But it does seem possible that he was unable to work many hours in a lead role due to his family health issues, but still wanted to have a large influence on the games Obsidian developed, and that this created problems. That would explain the talks he's been giving recently about how to construct the optimal game development hierarchy that gives everybody a voice.

Edited by Infinitron

"Isn't that usually the case when Volly shows up?"

Funny. But both the sports and the political threads manage to survive. Perhaps the issue that this thread ran its course the moment it was posted. I'm just here to post FACT BOMBS and watch people get TRIGGED by the TRUTH.

• Like 3