Chris Avellone hates Obsidian!

Infinitron

Sour grapes. He wasn't willing to criticize anything Bethesda, but was down on F:NV, which is probably the best Obsidian game to date. He criticizes upper management when he owned part of the company. He doesn't know why Vegas was picked when he was one of the creative leads and one of the owners of the company?

And the line about Bethesda not wanting to buy Obsidian was just catty.

One of the great and terrible things about MCA is that he constantly wants to push past the scope of the project. This leads to ambition that most of the game industry lacks, but it also leads to rushed, incomplete, and buggy products. No difference in this interivew; Obsidian should have just chosen a different area and gone out and hired a bunch of developers from that culture. OK, who's going to fund that talent search? Who's going to lead that project? I can see him getting bitter after being cut out of the loop by the more practical Urqhart and Sawyer, which is fair. But occasionally Obsidian might want to finish a ****ing game.

• Like 4

Also people, that does look more like a Q&A to me (questions collected send over to him for answers), and not an interview. Which of course explains why the 'interviewer' is keeping his type of questions the way they are. Not necessarily because he totally wants to weasel some out of MCA, but simply because that's the form he got.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Huh... especially when that video is wildly jumping to conclusions and mixing things up, e.g. the mass layoffs of the past when Obsidian almost went under don't at all mean people are leaving left and right at the moment the way it comes across.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Quality of the video aside (I find that matty guy quite annoying to begin with...). MCA retweeting that makes it sound he's not just a bit sour, but actually pissed off big time.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I can see what he didn't like, but I disagree that Fallout 2 was worse storywise. The story of the second game gave the world more depth and it was a good contrast to the first game. The old world haunting the new one, that is always good. I also can understand that he wanted to explore other regions of the world, but I think that the franchise should have ended with New Vegas.

There isn't much to tell otherwise, just repeats of post-apocalyptic tropes we already know. I see this with Wasteland 2, which is a good game, but it uses the same concepts of the first game and even Fallout 1. You just can't tell many stories in a world where everything is ****ed. I don't see what else is there to tell, after Civilisation was already rebuild and we could chose which one was the best way of governing people in New Vegas.

And maybe he is just a bit tired that people always ask him about Fallout, even when his characters in New Vegas told us to try something new. 

As for the management: well, they get older, so you can understand why the want to sell their studio. I don't think that they would survive another bankruptcy.   

Edited by Harry Easter
  • Like 4

The comments for that video are even worse than the video itself. o.O

Welcome to the Fallout community, providing fan dumb since '97. ;)

Saw a little of that community yesterday during Sawyer's stream of New Vegas. "why there so many words in this game i just wanna shoot stuff"  :huh:

All Stop. On Screen.

Back in early 00s I was lurking about a local Fallout community and it was... Basically raiders from Mad Max manifesting themselves on the internet.

They didn't kick my dog per se, but I'm pretty sure detailed descriptions on how dogs can be dissected, cooked and eaten were not a rare topic of discussion :-P It was basically 4chan - and from what I heard, English speaking Fallout communities weren't much better back at the time, the game seemed to have a tendency of attracting ... Strange people. Which is telling as first Fallout is among my favorite games of all time, eh.

• Like 1

I still remember the weekend FALLOUT BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL was announced. Crazy times on the old message boards...

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I still remember the weekend FALLOUT BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL was announced. Crazy times on the old message boards...

If I remember correctly Interplay threatened to delete the entire Fallout section of their boards because it got way out of control after the announcement. For a while it made YOP look like hippie paradise.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well, its hard to expect people loving word like Mad Max to not act like Humungus :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I was totally the market for FO:BOS when it came out - I liked the setting, I liked the console action games that had come out around that time (Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, Hunter: The Reckoning) but I just didn't like FO:BOS.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Dark Alliance was a fun game. It was certainly 'dumb' when compared to the proper Baldur's Gates, but it was fun and in the end that's what was important. Well, that and it selling well. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone with genuinely kind words about FOBOS though, and remember the marketing as being cringe inducing.