Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] The Golden Dragon (barbarian tank)

class build barbarian tank

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

QuiteGoneJin

QuiteGoneJin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

interesting ty, I know I ask a lot of derpie questions but I have a huge knowledge gap compared to you vet posters and I'm always curious.

prototype00

prototype00

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is there perhaps some way to combine the equipment/tankiness of the Golden Dragon and the expanded buff period of The Leech? I really do want to equip the soulbound shield.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5866 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Sure. Just grab Spelltongue and use it as your main weapon. It's the main point of the leech build. Make sure you pick all the items, talents and abilities that have durations that can be expanded (if you want them), like Savage/Stalwart Defiance, Shod-in-Faith, Vet. Recovery and so on.

Edited by Boeroer, 29 December 2016 - 11:12 PM.

prototype00

prototype00

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But I'll probably have to boost Dexterity to make use of the Spelltongues Duration increasing attacks won't I? I'll think about it and see if I can't post a hybrid build here to make use of both Spelltongue and some of the Golden Dragon stuff...

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5866 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You could do that and respec after you get HoF. Because 1 HoF at the start with Spelltongue in a big group will give you enough duration for the rest of the encounter.

cmpunker

cmpunker

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Hi I'm new to the game and I'm almost done with my first playthrough. I think I'm going to start a second one with this barbarian as my main on hard, but I'm not sure I want to start with those stats. My plan is to start 2 handed by following this guide and eventually to respec. But what items should I own in order to respec and start using this guide without much trouble?

Thanks in advance!

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5866 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Once you can have Stalwart Defiance and a decent armor I would change to weapon & shield. He's a tank after all. You don't need to dump CON. This guy also plays well with a lot of CON. The real magic begins once you can have Heart of Fury and Badgradr's Barricade.
  • cmpunker likes this

cmpunker

cmpunker

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Once you can have Stalwart Defiance and a decent armor I would change to weapon & shield. He's a tank after all. You don't need to dump CON. This guy also plays well with a lot of CON. The real magic begins once you can have Heart of Fury and Badgradr's Barricade.

Well I won't modify this build by touching CON as I'm not sure where I should take the points out - but that's not an issue, I can start as a 2 hander and respec using this build once I have Stalwart Defiance (and Sanguine Plate I guess), or try this build right from the start by using some of the suggestions you gave in this thread.

Two more question: I'm going to make a party using some of the npc companions I haven't used yet, basically Pallegina, Maneha and Hiravias, and  I will also hire a ranged priest. How could I use these classes and their abilities/spells to complement my barbarian? Keep in mind that I never used paladins and barbarians, so I know nothing about them. Also what class should I hire for my sixth party slot?

Thx :)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5866 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There's a nice build for Pallegina that's called "the Fire General". Paladins have good heals as well, so use Lay on Hands to prevent team mates from going down. With Zealous Focus you can raise the party's accuracy which is especially good in the early game.

Hiravias as a druid has nice CC spells like Returning & Relentless Storm. Those will prevent enemies from hitting your front line. He also has Moonwell which is very nice for your barb tank and he also has Form of the Delemgan which is very nice because it's DR stacks with other sources and makes your party more sturdy.

Priest as usual: buff your frontline with Devotions of the Faithful + Inspiring Radiance. This will give them all +30 ACC. Together with Pallegina's Zealos Focus that's +36 ACC.

You can build Maneha as you like - but since you already have a barb tank you might want to build her into a dual wielder with sabres or battle axes. I also love Hours of St. Rumbalt (great sword) on a barb. Use Blood Thirst + Blood Lust + Frenzy.

As the sixth member I personally would use a wizard. Expose Vulnerabilitites + Combusting Wounds are so good when combined with Heart of Fury.

cmpunker

cmpunker

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the feedback :)

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
The perfect hat for him: The dunryd demon. It fits style wise (in comparison to the other similar helmets it has more of a steel colouring, rather than the usual letter theme), it suits the dragon theme, and it adds to intellect.

Edited by Ben No.3, 13 January 2017 - 02:54 AM.

smjjames

smjjames

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 347 posts

Anybody tried this with Maneha? It's the only low dex barbarian build that I see on here. Going to try it myself however.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5866 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Should work OK.

With Maneha you can also go two handers with Frenzy + Bloodlust + Blood Thirst. Low DEX is not a problem with those abilities. I really like Hours of St. Rumbalt with a barb.

masterty66

masterty66

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts

Just wanna say I've been using this and I am enjoying it a lot. My parties on POTD are usually offensive in nature. I never realized how good shield deflection can actually be though. I'm in WM1 right now and this guy just does not get hit very often. Even with the low con it's just not a concern because with the high surviv + deflection he can regen fast even when hits do get through (which are rare).

I'm not even close yet to his ideal power since I don't have HOF or all of the other goodies. But with exceptional plate + thick skinned + fear shout every fight and painful interdiction every fight he just doesn't get touched much. Can only imagine how strong he'll be once I've got the ability to do real damage with him too thanks to HOF and the Maw shield.

For anyone trying this he pairs really well with Kana/Durance (or hireling Chanter + Priest). I mean what doesn't, right? But the heal chant + painful interdiction is a potent combo when you've also got the fear shout going off every fight. This guy just won't get hit much even early on thanks to his high deflection once you have a good shield for him. 

• Boeroer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5866 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Hi. Glad you like it. :)

Yes, frightening + dazing + high deflection add up pretty nicely.

masterty66

masterty66

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts

Hi. Glad you like it. :)

Yes, frightening + dazing + high deflection add up pretty nicely.

Yeah I gotta say it's giving me a new found respect for shields/high deflection. Usually I eschew those things in favor of a party that focuses on offense. This guy isn't so great on offense yet since I'm not level 11 with HOF/the right gear but he survives so well and his debuffs help team defense as well.

I mean even at low levels he still contributes at least a little on offense thanks to carnage (albeit slowly) but the high defense makes him a great tank even early on with that + fear shout. 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5866 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes, before lvl 11 (with HoF + bashing shield) his offense is nothing special, albeit better than the offense of a pure fighter or paladin tank with the same stats.

With HoF the whole offense thing will improve a lot. HoF doesn't profit from DEX or attack speed, not damage per second or whatever. It's pure damage per hit that counts and HoF favors high MIG, INT and PER, DR penetration and also accuracy in general. Because of that, at that point it doesn't matter that this char has low DEX and is superslow with auto attacks. His HoF will be impressive - even though his main role is a tank.

To be honest this is all this build is about: being very tanky while also be able to shine in offense with HoF, circumventing his sluggishness.

Then also durgan steel on weapon, shield and armor will start to speed his auto attacks up a fair bit - so he doesn't feel as slow anymore.

Sadly - with a whole party at lvl 11 - you won't deperately need this sudden rise of effensive power because most encounters will be too easy for your party anyway. But it's very convient to eradicate whole groups with a tank (!) and end encounters much quicker than before. It even helps in dragon fights because all the ads can be killed faster and your party can concentrate on the dragon sooner.

Edited by Boeroer, 07 May 2017 - 12:05 AM.

masterty66

masterty66

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts

True. Once you beat WM1 and start to hit level 9-11ish the game becomes easy if you know what you're doing and that's no matter what build you've got. 

But still looking forward to seeing that uptick in power :). And this build is solid because unlike some other builds it feels strong enough even from the start. Yes your DPS will not be great early on but with carnage you will still contribute and with the high defense stats you'll still be a very respectable tank even in the early going. This is not one of those builds where you have to hold its hand until it gets its goodies. Sometimes I'll try a build that is supposed to be great at level 13 or 11 or whatever and I'm like yeah that's all nice but that's maybe 1/3rd of the game. What about the rest of it? :) So this build is nice in that regard and my preference is always that a build at least holds its own at low levels even if it takes a while to reach its heights.

I'm about to tackle Durgan's and I think Ive been knocked out maybe twice at most with this guy so far? Pretty impressive. And that's with a rotating cast of party members. I don't always take the most optimal allies because I like to mix it up and use all the classes. 

• Boeroer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: class build, barbarian, tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users