Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Quick PC question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

SadExchange

SadExchange

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I currently have 8 GB of ram from a pc I bought and have added to over the past year.  I have 2 of the 4 slots for memory currently open, so I wanted to bump it up to 16 GB if I could.  I know you're supposed to have all of the ram be the same speed, however not quite sure what my RAM's speed is.  Sorry, know some things about computers, but components I haven't dealt with much, if ever, not so sure about, but here is a screenshot for my memory using CPU-Z.  Could someone let me know what RAM I have or should be looking to buy?  That would be awesome.

">http://zUbapit.jpg

Edited by SadExchange, 25 October 2016 - 01:14 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6378 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:LiberachiX

1600mhz

• melkathi and Sarex like this

SadExchange

SadExchange

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 765 posts
Thanks Bokishi. Will be ordering that soon enough. Anything I should look out for in particular? Anything to be aware of?

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6378 posts

It works best when your DIMMs match, so just get another 8GB kit of the exact same RAM you already have

SadExchange

SadExchange

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 765 posts

The ram that came with were stock. When you say get the same exact you're meaning 2 more 4 gb sticks of 1600 MHz that are DDR 3

So, something like this would work?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820156046

Edited by SadExchange, 25 October 2016 - 05:53 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6378 posts
Yeah you should be fine with that. Only other potential thing to match is timings, but your system should automatically set the timings to match
  • SadExchange likes this

SadExchange

SadExchange

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 765 posts

Yeah you should be fine with that. Only other potential thing to match is timings, but your system should automatically set the timings to match

Awesome, thanks for your help again Bokishi!

• Bokishi likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks Bokishi. Will be ordering that soon enough. Anything I should look out for in particular? Anything to be aware of?

another easy thing you can do with memory if you are buying from a store and not online, is to just take out one of the modules, take it to the store and ask for "2 more of this".

SadExchange

SadExchange

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 765 posts

Sorry to kick open this top again.  But Was going around looking for the RAM  to purchase and found some numbers on mine.

sk hynix 4gb 1rx8 pc3l-12800u-11-13-a1

It's from a Dell machine I added to with a video card.  Kind of unsure what would be a decent option for purchasing 2 more sticks of 4 GB to work with this.  The one listed above still would be fine Bokishi?  Would I need to necessary worry about voltage?  Would the above set be fine then?  I know my current ram is no where near the best, but it's working.  Thanks again!

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3627 posts

PC3L (or DDR3L) is the 1.35V standard so it implies that your existing sticks are optimally designed to run at that voltage, though it will typically accept 1.5V without issue. The stuff in that Newegg link is also DDR3L so it's correct (and it mentions 1.5V compatibility as a fallback). The timings may not exactly match but that's no big deal: while the sticks will all run at the speed of the slowest one, in practice any difference here will be a fraction of a percent.

That said, if you do really want to match them up exactly, you can check the SPD tab in CPU-Z to see what your current sticks are qualified to run at.

• SadExchange likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users