DAPL Thread

ShadySands

We'll see what Trump will do, but it's a good victory for the Standing Rock Sioux and their allies.

Cy3PTsIUoAE2f8x.jpg

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Courage? He's the President. This should have been done months ago.But, I forgot he doesn't care  because it was Indians and not Blacks under fire. The only reason why he did it was because  the gov't lost perception battle on this that's why he SURRENDERED to the protestors. He got beat up, tossed in the trash, and cried uncle. the protestors were brave. Obama is just a plain 'ol fashion coward.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 1 month later...

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Carbon is a great soil improver- and oil is almost entirely carbon, with addition of some useful traces elements like sulphur, and hydrogen which can be used for clean car fuel! The people of Iowa will be able to grow even more corn now that there's more carbon available. Even better, burning oil releases more CO2 into the atmosphere which increases the rate of plant growth, so it's a double bonus for the good people of the Hawkeye State.

• Like 1

So is the takeaway that we should only do stuff if it works flawlessly 100% of the time?

Anywho, how much damn land do they own anyway? Cant they just lay 10 more miles of pipe and go around this "sacred land"?

I imagine this is worst case analysis, when it comes to worrying about what the pipeline can do. Simple, really

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So is the takeaway that we should only do stuff if it works flawlessly 100% of the time?

Anywho, how much damn land do they own anyway? Cant they just lay 10 more miles of pipe and go around this "sacred land"?

the pipeline folks has shown little concern for sacred lands.  before one o' the earlier injunctions were granted, pipeline companies purposely destroyed a number o' potential sacred sites so as to make the issue m00t.  regardless, notwithstanding wod hyperbole and absurdism, am thinking the bigger issue is the missouri river, and other bodies o' water.  

there will be leaks.  accidents is unavoidable.  the leaks may even be less environmental threatening than railcar or truck delivery. nevertheless, is seeming that claims 'bout pipeline detection o' leaks and safety is not near as foolproof as suggested.  given the possible ecological catastrophe resulting from a leak into unseen groundwater reservoirs or more salient rivers, one cannot help but be concerned when major leaks seems to go unnoticed until somebody stumbles 'cross the problem beverly hillbillies style.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's not really a simple question. Is the economic benefit of these pipelines worth the potential environmental risk? We already have a ton of lines crisscrossing the nation, do we need more? Is oil even worth the investment at this point as the future of energy is concerned?

It seems like everyone wants to turn this into a big political fight, when really it should be left up to the economists and environmentalists to decide whether the risk/reward is worth it.

It's not really a simple question. Is the economic benefit of these pipelines worth the potential environmental risk? We already have a ton of lines crisscrossing the nation, do we need more? Is oil even worth the investment at this point as the future of energy is concerned?

It seems like everyone wants to turn this into a big political fight, when really it should be left up to the economists and environmentalists to decide whether the risk/reward is worth it.

well, the oil is gonna move, regardless.  as long as folks can make a profit, there will be folks in the oil business. would be a bit myopic to think people would give up on oil anytime soon if even the recent drop in prices failed to do so.  the spice must flow! sorry. the oil must flow, and it will.  the only question is how. 

is our understanding that railcars and trucks is even more likely to result in spills than is pipelines.  look at bottomline o' cost v. benefit, even if only looking at environmental cost v. benefit, and pipeline is gonna seem to be clear winner.  but again, the pipeline problems is the ones more likely to result in catastrophic environmental disasters.  this is a situation where numbers can lie.  on average, total amount o' leakage from rail and truck transport will exceed pipeline.  pipeline wins.  the problem is the pipelines is more likely to result in unseen and catastrophic leaks, and dozens or even hundreds o' smaller truck accident leaks is almost complete negligible compared to a single large pipeline leak which manages to get into groundwater or rivers. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Hm....retort will be something along the lines of how the Catholics treated natives long ago or something, I will guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm....retort will be something along the lines of how the Catholics treated natives long ago or something, I will guess.

I'm gonna have to find some time to watch this movie again this weekend.

The soundtrack is brilliant btw.

• Like 1