Nerdgasm: Movies and Shows for Geeks and Nerds

ktchong

Yeah, that was ghastly.

Wow. 4 crap movies in one thread. :( 2017 will be much better with Wonder Woman andJustice League.

Despite the many years experiencing your Volyness, I honestly can't tell if your being sarcastic. The argument certainly can be made that those nerdy big studio movies are rubbish. DC comics movies are the opposite of a good counter example, though. You might as well give the following trailer as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujfDtlEwFBk

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

wait Pirates were racist? xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Racist and offensive against asians, specifically? I dunno, with the Cannibals from the second flick, the Asians from the third and the Spaniards from the fourth I think they were pretty racist all around - offensive, however, is in the eye of the beholder. It's supposed to be like old school pirate stuff, if they painted a realistic view of the world and cultures around that time it'd be wildly different.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first one which was a fun adventure whose only flaw was that it was slightly too long. The first two sequels were pretty bad but I respect them because they were bad in a spectacular, ambitious way (which also holds true for Gore Verbinski's Lone Ranger). The fourth movie where they decided Jack Sparrow was the lead character was absolutely terrible, though. Jack was only as interesting at all because of how everyone else had to deal with his shenanigans - the shenanigans themselves aren't nearly as fun if he's the point of view character.

Edited by TrueNeutral

" The fourth movie where they decided Jack Sparrow was the lead character was absolutely terrible, though. "

Huh? Jack Sparrow has ALWAYS been the lead.

P.S. Now some actual decent looking movies are being posted.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Nope. Doesn't even show up until like 20 minutes into the first film. Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner were the leads of the first film and Jack Sparrow was the wacky sidekick, just he totally upstaged those losers because Depp was great and kept grabbing more and more screentime. In the shooting script, he had less than half the dialogue and only speaks as much as he did because they wisely let Depp do his thing (this was before he was annoying). Was more of a co-lead in the second and third, but didn't become the full-fledged sole main character until the fourth, which was completely boring and annoying because Jack Sparrow is only as funny as the people who are reacting to his antics. He needs a straight man to function in any story.

Edited by TrueNeutral

He was the lead. It was clear to me  that the film was centered on him and his antics.  He may not have been the good and pure protagonists like the other two but he was clearly the center of the movie. that makes him the lead. The fact he shows up 'late' doesn't really prove anything. Depp's name is listed first and is the star of the movie. that is the lead. The whole shenanagins are because of him - his connection to the villain and the others and everything else.

Edited by Volourn

"Big Movies are always crap, look among the smaller ones to find quality."

Your steroetyping is WRONG. There are good and bad 'big movies' and there are  good and bad 'small movies'. PERIOD.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

Yeah, but mostly not. Blockbusters and anything you can 'take the kids to' is generally crap.  To a factor of around 20 to 1. Just as many bad small movies. Depending on genre of course, but it's the only place you are going to be surprised at what you get. 

I don't know if that's stereotyping or just grumpy nostalgia but I'm definitely not alone in my assessment. Movies are just generally crap. I have seen so many superhero movies now that I never want to see another one. I don't care about Chris Pratt or Jennifer Lawrence because I'm not 15 years old. I could go on.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

He was the lead. It was clear to me  that the film was centered on him and his antics.  He may not have been the good and pure protagonists like the other two but he was clearly the center of the movie. that makes him the lead. The fact he shows up 'late' doesn't really prove anything. Depp's name is listed first and is the star of the movie. that is the lead. The whole shenanagins are because of him - his connection to the villain and the others and everything else.

Naw man, what movie did you watch? This ain't "How Sparrow got his boat back". He was the Inigo Montoya of this movie, just with more screen time. You could write him out and be left with pretty much the same story. The shenanigans are because pirates want Bill Turner's blood and gold but kidnap the wrong girl. Will Turner breaks Jack out to get him there and that's as far as his impact on the plot really goes. Jack Sparrow is the best thing in that movie, but he's not even important in it. He's even just a cog in Will Turner's character development, the mentor who shows up and teaches the poor boy who spent his entire life living by other people's rules that to do the right thing, sometimes you have to live by your own rules. Having more screentime or higher billing doesn't prove anything - hell, Mark Hamill got second billing on The Force Awakens and he's in it for twenty seconds.

It's all a moot point anyway, my definition of lead character is probably just different from yours (since billing matters to you apparently). Either way, Jack may not be the lead character but he's the one we as the audience cares about. But that's because he's pulling all these weird shenanigans to distract us from how boring the actual plot and story and the other characters are - which is what I was trying to say in the first place. These movies don't work if the story is about Jack, because what was fun about Jack in the first place was that he royally ****s the story up for everyone. Nobody wants him there - Will and Elizabeth don't want him there, the Pirates don't want him there, the Navy doesn't want him there, even his cohort pirates leave him behind. He's a spanner in the works and that's what makes him work, and that's why the fourth Pirates film was a monstrosity. We don't care about Jack's quest for immortality, we only care about how badly he ****s up everyone else's quest. The more these movies focused on Jack's story, the worse they got.

This movie doesn't have a happy ending. Jhon Carpenter looked at the test screening results and just went 'no, I like it better the way I created it'.

It wasn't reedited by 10 different companies all trying to score best with focus groups. It doesn't have any 'fake awesome', you know what I mean, the high notes that are just there to check the boxes. There are no product placement scenes. It doesn't have sensory overload CGI action scenes. 

It is a good movie.

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

There is some new version of The Thing?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"