What's next for Obsidian?

kanisatha

With the announcement of the release date for Tyranny it would appear that all three more recent Obsidian games (Tyranny, Armored Warfare, Pathfinder Adventures) are essentially done. So, isn't it about time for some revelations about what comes next for Obsidian? We all know Pillars of Eternity 2 is in the works. I'm really dying to know what the "other" big new Obsidian project is all about. :yes:

• Like 3

I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing Pillars and Tyranny go to PS4 too....just preordered Tyranny for PC on GOG today and backed Pillars on KS so I'd love to see them expand to new audiences.....we've seen Torment, Wasteland 2, and Divinity Original Sin go to consoles so surely Obsidian can make this leap too.....and now inXile is pitching Wasteland 3 as a simultaneous launch on all platforms kind of thing....if they can do it sure Obsidian can, they are a much better studio than inXile or Larian.

• Like 2

1zq6793.jpg

I have to say I wouldn't mind seeing Pillars and Tyranny go to PS4 too....just preordered Tyranny for PC on GOG today and backed Pillars on KS so I'd love to see them expand to new audiences.....we've seen Torment, Wasteland 2, and Divinity Original Sin go to consoles so surely Obsidian can make this leap too.....and now inXile is pitching Wasteland 3 as a simultaneous launch on all platforms kind of thing....if they can do it sure Obsidian can, they are a much better studio than inXile or Larian.

God no, that would be terrible.

I didn't backed PoE to see them doing a console port, inXile is behaving like **** and has lost its credibility in the meantime, Obsidian should be wiser.

Regardless, there's nothing good to come out of a console port, only the potential for bad things to happen. Also, Obsidian games are RTwP which is more difficult (and ****tier) to play without mouse and keyboard than TB gameplay, which already sucks with a gamepad. And last but not least, the market on console for these kind of games is small: Larian with D:OS has been the most successful rpg of this kind to come out recently and has stated that its game sold more than 1.5 mil overall, of those 1.1 m were sold on Steam and I guess they sold another 100k at least on GOG and other digital resellers, leaving both consoles combined at about 300k or 400k at best (1/4 of the PC version alone).

Edited by Revan91
  • Like 2

Star Trek RPG

Make it so!

I'd prefer a starship or fleet simulator ala Starfleet Command.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's Unreal Engine game.

Fair enough, but my point is that shouldn't it be time now for some details about this game? Has there been any chatter elsewhere outside of this forum? I'm not on that many gamer forums myself.

They have Armored Warfare, Pathfinder Card Game and Pillars of Eternity 2 in production. Then we have one more unannounced game.

Considering the questions in this survey, they're also obviously considering doing a Pathfinder RPG as well.

I'm kinda neutral to it because I don't know Pathfinder and never played it and would be interested only because of Obsidian's name, but frankly I'd rather have them exploring other settings than yet another generic high fantasy. I mean, it might be good and enjoyable (Forgotten Realms are as dull and generic as it gets and still BG2, Mask of the Betrayer and other titles were great, although no thanks to FR), but I would like to see Sawyer's historical project and maybe some modern/contemporary settings or a sci-fi first, something a bit more unusual at least when it comes to RPGs.

Edited by Revan91

Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's Unreal Engine game.

Fair enough, but my point is that shouldn't it be time now for some details about this game? Has there been any chatter elsewhere outside of this forum? I'm not on that many gamer forums myself.

They just started working on it months ago, to the best of our knowledge. That is assuming it began when Leonard joined Obsidian. If they are using Unreal then it's likely they are working with a publisher, and Obsidian has had a few projects fall through the cracks before getting past the early phases into actual development. It would be a really poor decision to discuss a game that may not be released because the publisher backed out.

They also haven't began to get close to nailing down systems if they are that early in development. All they could say is what the game is (genre-wise or IP-wise), and usually publishers won't allow the developers to announce anything so everything coincides with their advertising/marketing decisions.

in an interview from the not too remote past, f. urquhart identified neil gaiman's neverwhere setting as an appealing potential game world.  a neverwhere game would be fantastic, but am actual convinced that gaiman's graveyard book offers superior material for a game.  got readily identifiable factions and motivations w/o some o' the pretension we see in many fantasy/sci-fi settings.  the desire to be unique tends to results in a fail o' style o'er substance for books and games. as a work intended for young adults, the graveyard book is lacking in pretension, but while the settings and creatures is all familiar, they is crafted with depth o' character rather than relying solely on a hook (visual or otherwise) to keep the audience interested. is a world o' instant recognizable vampires and werewolves and ghosts, among other creatures o' myth and legend, but more classical inspired as 'posed to anne rice/underworld origins.  the man-jacks were fantastic villains in gaiman's book but obviously one need not limit oneself to the jacks as a game bad guy.  

another nifty aspect o' such a game would be potential using famous world graveyards/cemeteries as game locations.  

http://www.businessinsider.com/worlds-most-stunning-cemeteries-2014-2?op=1/#yama-cemetery-in-tokyo-originally-belonged-to-the-aoyama-family-before-becoming-japans-first-public-cemetery-its-famous-for-its-cherry-blossoms-which-draw-visitors-from-march-through-early-may-1

famous and beautiful cemeteries ('bove and below) as well as otherworldly realms o' death/near death offer endless possibilities.

setting and creatures is familiar, but is done artful and creative.  

not gonna happen, but a guy can dream.

HA! Good Fun!

ps some folks will recognize our oft repeated loathing for vampires and zombies.  as such, the graveyard book is a rather unexpected exception to a rule.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A number of those desktop icons are suspiciously blurry. Which software has the best "sharpening" tools? ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Project Runway RPG

Make it work!

sign me the f up

this has been my desktop wallpaper for a few months now

7EuFjB5.png

(nothing useful to contribute, sorry :p)

In all seriousness, though. Think about it. I have to admit I'm something of a fan of Tim Gunn, and I like to watch Project Runway and Under the Gunn. Wouldn't it be a pretty cool niche for Obsidian to dive into: An RPG with great creativity as far as patterns, textures, fabrics, clothes, and accesories go? Then you get to see models of your choice or on your team presenting your work in front of a jury. For some reason, I reckon this is Feargusaurus stuff! It could be more of an app for mobile devices. I have a gut feeling that lots of peeps would play it. :)

It would be the opposite of tanks, that's for darn sure, unless it's a scrap heap challenge.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The only problem I see here is that such a perfect game would kill me because I would never stop playing it even to eat, drink, or sleep

A number of those desktop icons are suspiciously blurry. Which software has the best "sharpening" tools? ;)

What secrets are contained within untitlsdfawed-1.jpg, untitledfbasffffffd-1.jpg, untsfadfitled-1.jpg, and UGH.jpg?????

• Like 4

The only problem I see here is that such a perfect game would kill me because I would never stop playing it even to eat, drink, or sleep

What secrets are contained within untitlsdfawed-1.jpg, untitledfbasffffffd-1.jpg, untsfadfitled-1.jpg, and UGH.jpg?????

I don't have to blur my desktop!

New Folder 1, New Folder 2.... New Folder 17 hide away all my secrets.

Sometimes I don't even know what is in a folder and I'll open it be surprised. Like finding loose change in your own pocket!

• Like 2