Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The morality of genetic engineering [POLL]

Poll

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Should genetic engineering be allowed? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Should it be? To what extend?

1. Yes, to full extent (12 votes [52.17%])

Percentage of vote: 52.17%

2. Yes, but [please state in the comments] (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

3. No, unless [please state in the comments] (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. No definitely not (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4326 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Basically this is why I am very supportive of genetic engineering to help address certain diseases and hereditary illnesses 

Why would we not want to use science to help  mankind suffer less ?

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm curious how you think "only the rich will benefit" is a myth? They already mostly mingle with people in their own group, their modified genes will still stay among the top 10% while we bottomfeeders will likely not see any gain for hundreds of years at wich point they would've become diluted.

I agree "the rich" would be the first to be able to take advantage, because money. But imo, a trickle down effect would be an irresistible force and the general population would improve. What would really be cool is if they somehow eradicated certain defects but delivered it to the population as a vaccination. My idea is; less designer babies, more human genome improvement.

There are a lot of things that started out only for rich people, and due to them paying outlandish prices it allowed development of cheaper versions and processes so that it eventually became widely available. If a few decades of the super rich being genetic supermen is the price for making humanity superior, I'm ok with it.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

424490.jpg

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

What could possibly go wrong?

khan_noonien_singh.jpg

Well, put me down for a "Yes, but...." and that but is this" No government funding. Leave me and my tax dollars out of it. Other than that, go nuts.

• ShadySands and Raithe like this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts

khan_noonien_singh.jpg

Well, put me down for a "Yes, but...." and that but is this" No government funding. Leave me and my tax dollars out of it. Other than that, go nuts.

Well... But... If you want no governmental funding, then the development and usage of genetic engineering is dependant on private persons and organisations funding... Is that good thing? Not just for this, but for medicine in general

Edited by Ben No.3, 12 October 2016 - 11:27 PM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts

khan_noonien_singh.jpg

Well... But... If you want no governmental funding, then the development and usage of genetic engineering is dependant on private persons and organisations funding... Is that good thing? Not just for this, but for medicine in general

Yes.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts
Well... Why?

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4406 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The day I become a cyborg mutant will be a happy day.

Just imagine when everyone is cyborgized and they computer components link them into the internet 24/7.  And we think people lack filters on message boards, twitter, etc. now!

RE: Genetic Engineering - its inevitable, the only hope is that it is used responsibly by those who build the structure for it.

Edited by Amentep, 13 October 2016 - 07:10 AM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

the only way for humans to break out of their current ****ty existence is to stop being humans. the sooner we bring about our non human descendants the better.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts

Well... Why?

Well my answer here has more to do with the science of politics than the politics of science. In the United States the federal government has a clearly defined role and there is a tremendous amount of information that is publicly available so tax payers can see what they are paying for. In the early 2000's the federal government was funding stem cell research. A lot of tax payers had a problem with that because they were paying to create human life, viable embryos, solely for the purpose of destroying them. The moral dilemma is obvious. The solution of course was that the work could go on but only with private financing. The public does not get to make moral decisions on things they are not paying for.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3151 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's a good idea, but you have to be careful of just what you engineer out. Who knows what might drive us into an evolutionary dead end if you start taking short cuts without any consideration for the consequences.

Health tweaks are good, adjusting for the possibility of outer space travel or easier colonisation of not-perfect terrestrial worlds (if we ever get there). Then again, there's going to be the balance of genetically engineered bioware along with cybernetic interfaces and implanted technologies.  Heh, now I'm inspired to go running for the old Shadowrun books. :p

Shall we all start listing the joys of transhumanism right now?

• Azdeus likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Well... Why?

Well my answer here has more to do with the science of politics than the politics of science. In the United States the federal government has a clearly defined role and there is a tremendous amount of information that is publicly available so tax payers can see what they are paying for. In the early 2000's the federal government was funding stem cell research. A lot of tax payers had a problem with that because they were paying to create human life, viable embryos, solely for the purpose of destroying them. The moral dilemma is obvious. The solution of course was that the work could go on but only with private financing. The public does not get to make moral decisions on things they are not paying for.

So you'd rather see aborted fetuses and similar be destroyed for no good reason? They could serve a greater purpose and help people, but instead they just get binned.

I'm so sick and tired of religion getting in the way of progress, we're already hundreds, if not thousands of years behind if not for such things.

It's a good idea, but you have to be careful of just what you engineer out. Who knows what might drive us into an evolutionary dead end if you start taking short cuts without any consideration for the consequences.

Health tweaks are good, adjusting for the possibility of outer space travel or easier colonisation of not-perfect terrestrial worlds (if we ever get there). Then again, there's going to be the balance of genetically engineered bioware along with cybernetic interfaces and implanted technologies.  Heh, now I'm inspired to go running for the old Shadowrun books. :p

Shall we all start listing the joys of transhumanism right now?

*Looks through the rules for Shadowrun, gets annoyed again* Yeah... no, I love the world of Shadowrun, but that ruleset, the layout, it's horrid. :/

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1457 posts

*Looks through the rules for Shadowrun, gets annoyed again* Yeah... no, I love the world of Shadowrun, but that ruleset, the layout, it's horrid. :/

Well that particular problem is fairly easy to solve...

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3151 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Eh, just read the fluff and not the crunch in the old Street Samurai Catalog or Man and Machine... It's what gets the mind a-whirling.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users