Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The morality of genetic engineering [POLL]

Poll

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Should genetic engineering be allowed? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Should it be? To what extend?

1. Yes, to full extent (12 votes [52.17%])

Percentage of vote: 52.17%

2. Yes, but [please state in the comments] (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

3. No, unless [please state in the comments] (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. No definitely not (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2502 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Am I the only one that has seen Island City?

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1714 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I say we figure out how to give a dude back his hairline, then worry about creating six-million dollar designer babies.

• Oerwinde, Lexx and BruceVC like this

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5127 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Who cares about morals? What we really should be worried about is ethics!
Because those are different things after all.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Why would editing out our genetic flaws be an ethical problem?

I know weve created a non-problem problem with the mythical "only the rich will benefit" routine but thats not the case. Genetic manipulation would extend beyond the host because thats one of the things that genes do, pass traits to offspring. Of course everyone would want to be an Adonis but think of the possibilities! This blasted near-sightedness of mine could be edited out....or even bigger.....think about if we managed to, for lack of a better term, "immunization" against heart disease or cancer.

The only real problem I can see is overpopulation. We are such a parasitic species that we need to die in droves or the Earth would never make it.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts
Here is some not serious question: cancer is just body cells that don't die, as other cells do. The other cells do so in order to keep the system that is your body up and running.
So, can you blame the cancer for not wanting to die for the sake of some greater being?
Hm.... Now who does that remind me of?

;)

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That is not correct. Cancer cells can die or be killed like any other cell. Cancer is "disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body."

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts

That is not correct. Cancer cells can die or be killed like any other cell. Cancer is "disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body."

I was only trying to make a joke :p
  • Gfted1 and BruceVC like this

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1477 posts

Here is some not serious question: cancer is just body cells that don't die, as other cells do. The other cells do so in order to keep the system that is your body up and running.
So, can you blame the cancer for not wanting to die for the sake of some greater being?
Hm.... Now who does that remind me of?

;)

Actually, dysregulation of apoptotic signalling pathways (ie. cells not dying when they're supposed to) does tend to result in cancer. His analogy may have been phrased terribly, but it's perfectly apt.

• Gfted1 and Azdeus like this

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4928 posts

Yes, but not at the cost of the diversity that is so important to the human race.  And I'm not just talking about people looking different, I'm talking about the concern that if we all become genetic gods, we are one good virus away from wiping everyone out.

I'm sure we would, in case such things were possible, add individual abilities that differentiated us. I imagine people would modify themselves to better express and live out their drive and desires (live in vacuum, see ultralight etc)

In fact I'm sure we'll be so different it'll present legal problems as to what constitutes 'human' at that point.

Longknife

Longknife

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Extending your lifespan is something I feel like most people would be willing to give a shot. After all, it's not like a shot that makes you permanently immortal or the like, so if you were to extend your life and decide "nah yknow what this **** is gay" then you just don't do it again, problem solved.

I think things could get pretty boring though if people started modifying their genes for desirable traits in LITERALLY EVERYTHING. Exaggerated example, but imagine if all dudes were Fabio and all women were Kate Upton. Initially you'd think "sweet!" but after a while I imagine things might begin to feel rather hollow...

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8893 posts

the Great Furry vs Scaly War will be something to behold for sure

• Azdeus and Namutree like this

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1477 posts

I think things could get pretty boring though if people started modifying their genes for desirable traits in LITERALLY EVERYTHING. Exaggerated example, but imagine if all dudes were Fabio and all women were Kate Upton. Initially you'd think "sweet!" but after a while I imagine things might begin to feel rather hollow...

I don't think that's a particularly realistic outcome. First off, according to the biochemical researchers I know (admittedly not a huge sample, but still), beyond a certain point, you're pretty much just dealing with highly complex and fairly unintuitive tradeoffs (so no ubermensch genes for you). Secondly, there's a great variety of ways in which people can be stunningly attractive, so I imagine it would mostly come down to "everybody's pretty but originality still wins you points".

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Why would editing out our genetic flaws be an ethical problem?

I know weve created a non-problem problem with the mythical "only the rich will benefit" routine but thats not the case. Genetic manipulation would extend beyond the host because thats one of the things that genes do, pass traits to offspring. Of course everyone would want to be an Adonis but think of the possibilities! This blasted near-sightedness of mine could be edited out....or even bigger.....think about if we managed to, for lack of a better term, "immunization" against heart disease or cancer.

The only real problem I can see is overpopulation. We are such a parasitic species that we need to die in droves or the Earth would never make it.

I'm curious how you think "only the rich will benefit" is a myth? They already mostly mingle with people in their own group, their modified genes will still stay among the top 10% while we bottomfeeders will likely not see any gain for hundreds of years at wich point they would've become diluted.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm curious how you think "only the rich will benefit" is a myth? They already mostly mingle with people in their own group, their modified genes will still stay among the top 10% while we bottomfeeders will likely not see any gain for hundreds of years at wich point they would've become diluted.

I agree "the rich" would be the first to be able to take advantage, because money. But imo, a trickle down effect would be an irresistible force and the general population would improve. What would really be cool is if they somehow eradicated certain defects but delivered it to the population as a vaccination. My idea is; less designer babies, more human genome improvement.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7000 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
I have read enough cyberpunk to know a cure for diseases is just a chain to control the masses with. :p
  • Chilloutman likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
That explains all the mohawks, they've cured male pattern baldness! :p
  • Malcador and aluminiumtrioxid like this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

I agree "the rich" would be the first to be able to take advantage, because money. But imo, a trickle down effect would be an irresistible force and the general population would improve. What would really be cool is if they somehow eradicated certain defects but delivered it to the population as a vaccination. My idea is; less designer babies, more human genome improvement.

That, I would definetly agree with. :)

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

With CRISPR, scientists correct genetic mutation that causes sickle cell disease.

• BruceVC likes this

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1369 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yes, although unrestricted may lead to wiping out of human race as we know.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yes, although unrestricted may lead to wiping out of human race as we know.

How so?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users