Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What You Did Today

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
666 replies to this topic

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1460 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

What? A bard raised at Candlekeep works perfectly fine: so many stories you could tell from the great library... Sure, the monks and such probably wouldn't have much of an interest in them (or maybe they would, having them retold in a very different manner from the dry history-keeping that they do), but not everybody who lives at Candlekeep was a monk and was familiar with everything kept within the library.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 04 January 2017 - 06:42 PM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What? A bard raised at Candlekeep works perfectly fine: so many stories you could tell from the great library... Sure, the monks and such probably wouldn't have much of an interest in them (or maybe they would, having them retold in a very different manner from the dry history-keeping that they do), but not everybody who lives at Candlekeep was a monk and was familiar with everything kept within the library.

skald.  illiterate.

HA! Good Fun!

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1460 posts

What's the meaningful distinction here, o-so-friendly one? I'm not intimately familiar with the term, and from what I'm reading online, there doesn't seem to be so much of a difference that would make it any more difficult than the standard bard. The biggest thing seems to be that Skalds generally told of the deeds of someone current (their patron) instead of whatever a standard bard would tell of. Is that what you're getting at?

Edited by Bartimaeus, 04 January 2017 - 06:54 PM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What's the meaningful distinction here, o-so-friendly-one? I'm not intimately familiar with the term, and from what I'm reading online, there doesn't seem to be so much of a difference that would make it any more difficult than the standard bard. The biggest thing seems to be that Skalds generally told of the deeds of someone current (their patron) instead of whatever a standard bard would tell of. Is that what you're getting at?

the 2e d&d kit made illiteracy an unalterable quality o' the skald.  the notion o' Gorion's Ward, raised in a library, could possible be illiterate offended karzak. unfathomable.  

shoulda' saved the story as it actual managed to shut karzak up for a bit.

HA! Good Fun!

• Bartimaeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1460 posts

I thought you were calling me illiterate for not knowing the exact difference between a bard and a skald.

Now I DO feel illiterate.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 04 January 2017 - 06:58 PM.

• TrueNeutral likes this

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3524 posts

I thought you were calling me illiterate for not knowing the exact difference between a bard and a skald.

Now I DO feel illiterate.

Isn't a Skald a viking bard? What's the difference? Do Skalds only play heavy metal and don't require consent to bed someone?

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10450 posts
Being member number 666, I guess it's only fitting I get to write reply number 666 in this thread...

More forumite daily adventures here

:skull:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users