Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should the EU become the United States of Europe? What do you think?

Poll politics

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

Poll: United States of Europe? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the EU become one single nation?

1. Yes, it should (7 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

2. Yes, but EU members who don't want to participate should still be part of the EU as it exists now (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

3. No, not right now (1 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

4. No, the EU members should become closer to each other but not a single nation (9 votes [21.95%])

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

5. No, I oppose the idea of a EU nation (12 votes [29.27%])

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

6. No, and I don't support the EU in the first place (10 votes [24.39%])

Percentage of vote: 24.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts
So this is an idea that I find extremely interesting, and I really want to see what you guys think. Please do give reasons in the comment section. Thanks for any shared opinions :)
  • BruceVC likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts
So, personally I voted for the second option. I must admit, the idea of having a EU nation is an idea I really like. I believe a single nation could bring both economical and political stability, as well as a big gain in international power. However, it is important that countries join out of free will, not because otherwise they'd be excluded from any kind of EU. So I went for the second option. :)

But I'm a bit of an idealist ;)

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

idealist or imperialist? :)

obyknven

obyknven

(0) Nub

• Members.
  • 0 posts

Yes, under Russian rulership, but Europeans must await such happy times much longer - we can't conquer whole Europe yet.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 654 posts
Nope. No way in hell. Germany tried twice and the third will not be succesful either.

Yes, under Russian rulership, but Europeans must await such happy times much longer - we can't conquer whole Europe yet.

If Putin will become immortal then sure I could support this notion.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts

Definitely idealist.... I want a Europe under European leadership with a pr parliament (so every party gets the number of seats like votes... So if a party gets 30% of total votes, it gets 30% of seats in parliament).

Edited by Ben No.3, 06 October 2016 - 03:28 AM.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Definitely idealist.... I want a Europe under European leadership with a pr parliament

it still sounds more like imperialist :)

Sorry I don't want to be rude (I know its sensitive spot for Germans) but there is some historical precedence on what happen when Germany want united Europe :)

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 956 posts

Only if it proves capable of significant self-reform.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5047 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I chose the first option, yes it should. But all Ive ever known is a "United States" and I think the multiple culteral differences in Europe would prevent a true USoE. Until the next world reshaping event anyway.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts

Definitely idealist.... I want a Europe under European leadership with a pr parliament

Sorry I don't want to be rude (I know its sensitive spot for Germans) but there is some historical precedence on what happen when Germany want united Europe :)

Ha, not rude... Don't worry... Yeah we did indeed try to conquer Europe several times, but it always ended in disaster ;)
It is obviously a problem though how to unite Europe without makingcertain countries more powerful, but I'm sure we can work out

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4324 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

So this is an idea that I find extremely interesting, and I really want to see what you guys think. Please do give reasons in the comment section. Thanks for any shared opinions :)

I am a huge supporter of Germany and Merkel and how Germany after WW2 has been able to recreate its identity and become very significant again. And it did this  not through military superiority but hard work and economic transformation. I am also a supporter of the EU so this poll is interesting

I dont think you could archive a political reality like the US because the member states in the EU already complain about " lack of sovereignty " so a US model would be even less autonomous  than the EU currently has ? 

Edited by BruceVC, 06 October 2016 - 03:46 AM.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4324 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ha, not rude... Don't worry... Yeah we did indeed try to conquer Europe several times, but it always ended in disaster ;)
It is obviously a problem though how to unite Europe without makingcertain countries more powerful, but I'm sure we can work out

Dont get offended but there is some unreasonable "anti-German "  sentiment from some members on this forum, its not malicious but some members think Germany has made several bad decisions lately. LIke Merkel initially allowing all the refugees into the EU...anyway this may lead to some negative views to your initial question

But I like your perspective :)

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts

I chose the first option, yes it should. But all Ive ever known is a "United States" and I think the multiple culteral differences in Europe would prevent a true USoE. Until the next world reshaping event anyway.

Yes, the differences are quite big. It would need to be the most international nation yet. But it is imo the best way to assure both peace and prosperity for all Europeans...

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts

Dont get offended but there is some unreasonable "anti-German " sentiment from some members on this forum, its not malicious but some members think Germany has made several bad decisions lately. LIke Merkel initially allowing all the refugees into the EU...anyway this may lead to some negative views to your initial question

Yeah, I'm living in London atm, and I can definitely agree on that . But hey, I'm getting used to t. And I still think taking in refugees is the only right thing to do, at least for a rich country like Germany

I do however understand a certain... Historical fear of German imperialism (we really messed up a lot of things). I think it's safe to say we moved on... By now, I think we created one of the worlds nicest countries. And we could do that due to our wonderful economy, is just imagine what an United European economy could archive for the people :)

Edited by Ben No.3, 06 October 2016 - 03:53 AM.

• BruceVC likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4324 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Dont get offended but there is some unreasonable "anti-German " sentiment from some members on this forum, its not malicious but some members think Germany has made several bad decisions lately. LIke Merkel initially allowing all the refugees into the EU...anyway this may lead to some negative views to your initial question

Yeah, I'm living in London atm, and I can definitely agree on that . But hey, I'm getting used to t. And I still think taking in refugees is the only right thing to do, at least for a rich country like Germany

For me I still support Merkel as I absolutely believe she is a brilliant leader and I firmly believe in the sustainability of the EU

Also the initial offer from Germany was generous and altruistic, 1.3 milllion Syrians been offered a new life. But then the floodgates were torn open and the EU was expected to absorb 4 million refugees from countries that were governed under Sharia law outside of Syria ...its an unfair and difficult objective to expect the EU and its member  states to just accept this 

My view was now radically changed  because I'm very concerned with populist right wing political parties using the anti-immigration view to break up the EU

Even in  Germany Merkel's political party has lost some local elections, it would be myopic to ignore this frustration from  many EU citizens. And based on the reality I can understand why many EU citizens are unhappy with the number of refugees coming into the EU

So I want to resolve this as I dont want the EU to be negatively impacted in the future 

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts

I am a huge supporter of Germany and Merkel and how Germany after WW2 has been able to recreate its identity and become very significant again. And it did this not through military superiority but hard work and economic transformation. I am also a supporter of the EU so this poll is interesting

I dont think you could archive a political reality like the US because the member states in the EU already complain about " lack of sovereignty " so a US model would be even less autonomous than the EU currently has ?
I am not a great believer in the American voting system ("winner takes it all"). I think what would work best is a system like in Germany right now:

Everyone votes and every party gets the number of seats in parliament that they have of votes. So for example a party with 40% o all votes gets 40% of all seats.

That way everyone is represented exactly how the people wanted it, and it also gives the minorities quite some power since the major parties need to corporate with them in order to get a winning vote.

I also think parliament should elect the president, so people like trump can be avoided

For a United Europe it would also be far easier to spread money equally across the former countries, and also many of the economic crisis caused by the euro would simply not happen. The right tendencies right now originate in economical unhappiness blamed on politics, so that can be helped much easier with one country. As I said, the USE would become a major power, especially economically

Edited by Ben No.3, 06 October 2016 - 04:07 AM.

• BruceVC likes this

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

not a big supporter of direct democracy huh? yeah another reason why I don't want EU nation. I really don't know which answer from poll to pick, I want EU to go back to its roots as free movement of people and goods inside EU. I don't want EU government as small nations being ignored is pretty much guaranteed now.

And don't get me started on that economy of Germany :)

Edited by Chilloutman, 06 October 2016 - 04:17 AM.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5239 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

No, voluntary cooperation between states via trade deals that follow the ideals of open trade.

Everything else is Napoleon-LARPing.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4324 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

not a big supporter of direct democracy huh? yeah another reason why I don't want EU nation. I really don't know which answer from poll to pick, I want EU to go back to its roots as free movement of people and goods inside EU. I don't EU government as small nations being ignored is pretty much guaranteed now.

Yes but what you want is not going to happen, you cannot have the single market with all its benefits but reject certain laws or control  from Brussels 

This is the harsh lesson the UK is learning from BREXIT...the EU has its good and bad points but the good far outweighs the bad :)

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

not a big supporter of direct democracy huh? yeah another reason why I don't want EU nation. I really don't know which answer from poll to pick, I want EU to go back to its roots as free movement of people and goods inside EU. I don't EU government as small nations being ignored is pretty much guaranteed now.

Yes but what you want is not going to happen, you cannot have the single market with all its benefits but reject certain laws or control  from Brussels 

This is the harsh lesson the UK is learning from BREXIT...the EU has its good and bad points but the good far outweighs the bad :)

Of course you can, its just Brussels don't want it. its different story. Free movement of people and goods doesn't require to police agriculture for example. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Poll, politics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users