Is Eric Fenstermaker still at Obsidian?

Revan91

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/782827626012418048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Avellone has just tweeted that Fenstermaker may have left Obsidian, is that true?

Whatever people think about PoE's plot, I think he's a solid narrative designer, so it would be sad it that turn out to be true. Also, who would take his place as PoE2's lead narrative designer?

Can any developer shed some light over this matter? 

Avellone lured him over to Bethesda.

Damn, that would be depressing. 

Hopefully, though, MCA will start something of his own and work as a lead designer on something, instead of the minor things he's doing right now. And Fenstermaker will keep working with Obsidian, or, if he has indeed left the studio, he will continue to work on some proper rpgs, not Bethesda, BioWare or those kind of companies.

Edited by Revan91
  • Like 1

So there's pretty much no one left at Obsidian to do decent writing other than Carrie Patel?

I thought White March 2's plot was very well done. Shame to see Eric go honestly. I suddenly feel like I don't really care about PoE2.

You're making an assumption here.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 2

So there's pretty much no one left at Obsidian to do decent writing other than Carrie Patel?

I thought White March 2's plot was very well done. Shame to see Eric go honestly. I suddenly feel like I don't really care about PoE2.

This very thread is based on assumptions.

Unless you enlighten everyone.

Edited by mindswayer

I hate Unity.

perhaps he thinks it's more fun to be smug and mock your ignorance.

that ain't an assumption.  is simple a statement o' a possibility rather than our guess as to actual motivations.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I had a dream where I asked sexually frustrated guys to tell me about their mother while snorting coke and smoking cigars.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

As Chris Avellone could tell you, one doesn't need to be a full-time employee of a studio to write for them. Have you noticed that Eder seems to be a character in Pillars of Eternity 2? That might mean something...

Edited by Infinitron

Hi guys, it's true - Eric no longer works at Obsidian, and it was completely amicable. He just had a baby and is going to be home with family. It's possible he may do some more writing in the future though, you never know. :) We wish him nothing but the best of luck. I personally enjoyed working with Eric over the years and wish him and his family nothing but the best!

Darren

• Like 17

OBSIDIAN ORDER OF ETERNITY - Officially sponsored most generously by Pierre and SD!

As Chris Avellone could tell you, one doesn't need to be a full-time employee of a studio to write for them. Have you noticed that Eder seems to be a character in Pillars of Eternity 2? That might mean something...

As it also happens, Eric was the lead narrative designer of Pillars of Eternity, having been responsible for the plot and Thaos himself, as well as (if I remember correctly) playing an important role in the design of Raedric's Hold quest (not too sure on this one although I have a vague idea of reading this somewhere). You just don't lose the main writer in a videogame and go "welp, who gives a ****, we'll just handle it to someone else and hope nobody notices" (see Mass Effect series if you want an example of why you shouldn't do it). Consistency is important. Yes, he can write Edér, but what about the story? What about Durance (which he wrote a bit of in PoE)? What about Zahua?

Congrats to Eric nonetheless. Raising a family is, after all, more important than writing videogames. Best wishes to him and his family!

P.S: I just realized that it kinda sounds as if I'm condoning Eric for having a child. Just as a note - that's not my intent at all, lol.

Edited by mindswayer

I hate Unity.

Congratulations Mr Fenstermaker. I have heartily enjoyed a lot of your work in Obsidian games, and of course wish you and your family the best of health and fortune, both now and in all future endeavours. A toast in your honour sir, cheers.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Hi guys,

Sorry I'm late to the party, and thanks for the congratulations! Darren pretty much said it all. It's not so much that I've "moved on from Obsidian" so much as any work I do for them in the foreseeable future would be as a contractor.  We'll get that all hashed out in the near future, I'm sure. For the moment it's nice not to have to think about work for a few months after an 11-year run.

I have seen in a few places concerned comments about what this change means for the quality of PoE2 going forward. I want to assure you that all of these comments have come from sock puppet accounts that I myself have created to raise my social cachet. (Not really, but now that I mention it I'm disappointed I didn't think of it sooner.)

Better writers than me have come and gone. But Obsidian's always managed to reload. (Not to mention, it takes a lot more than one writer to make or break the quality of a game with PoE's scope.) It's a rigorous hiring process, and as long as they remain as demanding as they have been, they'll be good for a long time. They've got some excellent people there now - they're just not all household names yet. Personally, knowing the narrative staff, I can't wait to play PoE2. For everyone else, all I can say is I wouldn't worry too much.

• Like 21

I, for one, have been a fan of your work since I first enjoyed it in that betrayer mask game a long time ago.  Nothing is immutable.  The Eder/Aloth dynamic was splendid.

I don't know that I'd call you the best writer, but that's a useless title anyhow.  The best writer is the one who happened to contribute to any particular game I'm feverishly playing at the moment, losing sleep at night getting in a few more minutes, and wasting time thinking about as I do other things during the day.  You've been my favorite writer before and I'm hoping that you'll be my favorite writer again someday, mr. big time con sul TANT.  Meanwhile, I just don't think it's fair that you have so much talent.  In a fair world, I would have a little of it.

Oh yeah, grats on the kid.

Edited by Dainalt

Congrats!

And I hope you will be able to continue to do some work and eventually return full-time. Your stuff in New Vegas and Pillars was some of my favorite content in those games, really think you have a gift for it.

Enjoy the change of pace!

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

A child, really? This is certainly disappointing. Aren't you guys supposed to be falling apart and fighting each other with people quitting over imagined slights and pillow fights with Josh or some such? *sigh*

In all seriousness, congratulations and enjoy the many sleepless weeks ahead family life. :dancing:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.