Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AMD Vega Roadmap

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6391 posts
Dang! Vega 20 is 7nm 32GB HBM2 1TB/s PCI-E 4.0, that's pretty next gen

http://videocardz.co...ga10-and-vega20
  • Jamesvop likes this

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3633 posts

7nm in itself makes it sound very made-up, even if they're talking 2018 a lot would have to go right considering it took upwards of four years just to get away from 28nm.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6635 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

There has been a significant delay on pretty much every die shrink that I can remember.  I'll be shocked if we see 7nm by 2020, much less before then.

Edited by Keyrock, 21 September 2016 - 12:23 AM.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4490 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

GlobalFoundries is skipping 10nm altogether so 2018 isn't an impossibility, but it does sound like PR talk where everything magically works out with no problems what so ever.

Ganrich

Ganrich

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1103 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'm waiting on Vega, myself. I plan on a full AMD rig with Zen and Vega. I am definitely not sold on the 7nm part being real. They JUST hit 14nm with Polaris and will do it with CPUs/APUs with Zen... I highly doubt they would be able to move that fast to 7nm. It just isn't feasible. They need to make a few bucks on the 14nm process before moving on.

I'm always ready to eat my words, though. If it is true and at an even remotely affordable price point... Consider it bought.

Ganrich

Ganrich

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1103 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So, it seems Vega 20 is on the road map for 2019. 

http://wccftech.com/...lobalfoundries/

I take anything I read on wccftech with buckets of salt, but 2019 is much more believable.   Three years is much more doable to move from 14nm to 7nm.   So, I am just going to get Vega 10, 11, or whatever.  My 780 is aging by the minute, and I don't think 2019 is in the cards. 

• Bokishi likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1345 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

7nm is not impossible but highly improbable so close to the 14nm debut.

however the future, according to earlier roadmaps, is more into the effort to make 90+% crossfire efficiency the norm by making the hardware more autonomous on the use of CF, thus removing the "game to game" results based on how much effort the developer put into CF

Edited by teknoman2, 30 September 2016 - 04:21 AM.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Eh, Vega is not looking so hot right now, I'm not without hope right now, but I'm not feeling particularly hopeful about it's performance or glad about the prospect of giving nVidia my money...

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6635 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

Eh, Vega is not looking so hot right now, I'm not without hope right now, but I'm not feeling particularly hopeful about it's performance or glad about the prospect of giving nVidia my money...

I don't really have any brand loyalty or ideological objection to either company, not one that would sway my purchasing decision, anyway.  I am simply concerned with getting the best performance for my money, whether the company making that card kills kittens or not.  Everything I've heard about Vega lately is very worrying, I hope it's wrong.  If Vega can't even compete with Pascal then it will likely get absolutely demolished by Volta, which is just around the corner, and if Nvidia has no competition then they can charge whatever ridiculous prices they want.  Let's hope when the "gaming" Vega cards release they perform a lot better that what the scuttlebut is.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

I've been waiting for Vega for forever. I usually go with the brand that's doing worse at the time in regards to market share, which seems to almost always be AMD, and this will be a very hard buy for me if the worst-case scenario comes to fruition.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 570 posts

I don't really have any brand loyalty per se, but I really don't want to support shady companies, which nVidia is. They're underhanded as ****, pushing companies to do illogical things just to demolish ATi/AMD's cards performance just to get a bigger marketshare.

Edited by Azdeus, 04 July 2017 - 04:43 PM.

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

How much is premature hype just a tactic to seek some immediate invesments. Even if managers believe in a 2018 target I'm sure the engineers and many others in the production pipeline are thinking differently. But what really matters is they keep selling their upswing and comeback.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2218 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Founder's Edition may well have been released just to make the deadline AMD set for itself in its investor statements, but they cannot delay Vega much more than they have. If it's a fundamentally poor architecture then they're unlikely to find a silver bullet this far down the line to suddenly make it better, and at some point they have to start getting Navi ready. FE release has been very odd though, it's clearly in some respects a very good value professional card, but in others it's seen genuinely baffling choices and drivers etc are obviously underdone. Mainly it seems like a really odd choice for a first release since at least if you release a fully pro card or a fully consumer card you can focus on getting one type of driver polished up, a prosumer card needs both to be decent since it will be tested for games and professional tasks, and it seems neither really are.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6391 posts

lol R600 Sequel

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1166 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The FE rather reminds me of the GTX 480 regarding performance / watt and release date compared to the competitor at the time. Let's see what the RX brings, otherwise Vega 20 / Navi... For once, it's feels like AMD's CPU business saving their GPU business' ass instead of it being the other way around as it has been the past few years ;)

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 570 posts

lol R600 Sequel

Que? My I don't remember much from that time, too much WoW rot, lost alot of memories when I dug that **** out

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6391 posts
R600 was similar 10 years ago. Overhyped, was to be faster than the 8800 GTX. Was going to kick Nvidia's ass and make them drive down their prices. Complications arose and then finally released as a budget card HD 2900 XT and was slower than even the 8800 GT
  • Azdeus likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 570 posts

Ah, I missed the hype and all surrounding it, I didn't upgrade from my X800 until I got a HD5850.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users