RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Gorth

"This might be hard to grasp, but some people actually enjoyed AP."

This might be hard to grasp, but I don't care they did. And, apparently not enough people did hence the bombing. :)

Don't feel bad. I like my share of unpopular games. It's not the end of the world.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ooh consider my nostalgia tweaked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8OhYrkYoA

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So this is from June, but I couldn't find any post about it.

Looks like Dishonered 2 is shaping up to be pretty bad ass.

I especially like the sequence from 14:40, creative approach.

@Ros: I am a late 90's consumer, and early 2000's. A ton of bells and whistles covering completely unambitious design a masterpiece does not make.

I'll go full chaos with stronk independant womyn and go full peace with boring old dude.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Maybe it will be a stealth game for the not-mentally-challenged crowd this time around. 

Actually scratch that, I just watched the trailer. Same thing as before. Why can't they just focus on one thing, whether it be stealth or action and do it well. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I thought it was mechanically good, and as I've said elsewhere, I wish Deus Ex (and other stealth games) stole more mechanics from it. That said, good mechanics can only sustain me for so long, so I never finished the game. I had no desire to see where the story went, cared nothing for the characters, and the Outsider, supposedly a Loki-like trickster god, had about as much personality as XCOM Outsiders.

The main reason the game petered out then was the degradation in level design: I thought the early levels had a good, open, sprawling-yet-connected feel to them and I liked just wandering around them. Later on they turned more and more into linear, single path corridors, presumably as deadlines approached (and we've heard a bit about Zenimax's approach to external studios).

Anyway, the point is that yes, I'm interested in the sequel, and barring it being a complete disaster will pick it up and do a stealth run. As Emily. Then if I'm inclined to, I'll do a murderball run. Also as Emily, because Corvo is the second most boring man in the world, after the Outsider. The mask is basically his entire personality.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Well I am prefering Indie gaming last few years, and I am finding older games which I have never played before and enjoying them much more than current AAA stuff. So I think I will not need to change my hobby anytime soon. There are really so mamy games released nowadays, that man can really have whatever he wants. Well except single player Space Sims, which we still lack a lot :-(

I misinterpreted you, then. I assumed you at least somewhat care about AAA gaming, what with you posting that Jim Sterling rant and so forth. I'm in the same boat, myself. I built a gaming rig recently... but have close to no interest in any AAA titles. And I've tried. Couldn't stand DAI's MMO-lite gameplay for more than 3-4 hours. DOOM came free with my display -- still prefer Brutal Doom. The games I've enjoyed the most in 2016 are Age of Decadence and Fallout 1.5 Resurrection. I'm currently playing Fallout New Vegas with a bajillion mods, a game that came out in 2010. Need to check what all the hoopla around TW3 is about, though.

@Ros: I am a late 90's consumer, and early 2000's. A ton of bells and whistles covering completely unambitious design a masterpiece does not make.

Is ressurection already translated to english?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Cool, because its pretty good

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I liked the main game, but Daud DLC was significantly better in every way.

I felt like level design was a tad weaker in the Daud's story overall, but really just a little bit. Everything else was just flat-out superior to the base game.

I thought it was mechanically good, and as I've said elsewhere, I wish Deus Ex (and other stealth games) stole more mechanics from it. That said, good mechanics can only sustain me for so long, so I never finished the game. I had no desire to see where the story went, cared nothing for the characters, and the Outsider, supposedly a Loki-like trickster god, had about as much personality as XCOM Outsiders.

The main reason the game petered out then was the degradation in level design: I thought the early levels had a good, open, sprawling-yet-connected feel to them and I liked just wandering around them. Later on they turned more and more into linear, single path corridors, presumably as deadlines approached.

Hmm I actually thought it was one of the more refreshing settings in the last 10 years or so- the idea of a religion being build around opposition to the literal man made personification of the divine, instead of praising the creator, was pretty cool imo..

Also the whole animalistic mysticism, with whales being sort of vessels for the void - and man's industrial revolution based on the exploitation of that.. 

I don't know, it was a lot more thought out than what I often see in games..

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

The main reason the game petered out then was the degradation in level design: I thought the early levels had a good, open, sprawling-yet-connected feel to them and I liked just wandering around them. Later on they turned more and more into linear, single path corridors, presumably as deadlines approached (and we've heard a bit about Zenimax's approach to external studios).

Anyway, the point is that yes, I'm interested in the sequel, and barring it being a complete disaster will pick it up and do a stealth run. As Emily. Then if I'm inclined to, I'll do a murderball run. Also as Emily, because Corvo is the second most boring man in the world, after the Outsider. The mask is basically his entire personality.

That's because he wasn't voiced. But in the new game he is voiced, and by the same guy who voiced Garret in the first three Thief games. So I was going to play as Emily for the new powers, but it turns out I'll have to play as Corvo again. Unfortunately I almost never replay games.

Can't say I've ever read many of the optional books scattered around RPGs. Showing is better than telling, the more you can do with the level design the better. If books are rare I tend to read them, if there are too many I tend to give up on them.

In Dishonored the books were pretty short and interesting. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

^ Good to know. I have no problem with the how the background setting was established in Dishonored. But when it was time to fill the setting with actual characters, the game stumbled. Corvo because of the backwards-compromise of a silent protagonist who is nonetheless a fully established character. The Empress, who we probably should have seen a bit more of at the start of the game - perhaps as a prologue where she sends you to do the actual mission you're implied to have just returned from. The Outsider because, well, I can't explain why this boring guy with a Bieber haircut is the personification of chaos and how anyone in the dev team thought that was the way to go.

The rest of the cast - allies and adversaries both - are fairly perfunctory, but if the main cast had been done better then it would have gone some way to covering the deficiencies. As it was, my reaction to each was a resounding meh. A shame, because the ambience, architecture and general art style hit the right spot.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The same thing happened to me. I caught myself thinking, who are these people and why do I care with all the characters feeling so drab and lifeless? On the other hand, the violent option was easy and viable so the tension that Thief type gameplay had evaporated. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

On the other hand, the violent option was easy and viable so the tension that Thief type gameplay had evaporated.

Not when you went with Ghost/Clean Hands playthrough - that was when Dishonored surpassed Thief games for me. Still, Dishonored could definitely do with upping the combat difficulty - I think it was a mistake to make all out combat play-style viable, even violent means should require a lot of stealth.

(To be fair, when caught in Thief, all I had to do to escape the AI was running in circles a bit so there wasn't much mechanical tension there. I think most of the tension came from much slower pace and exquisite sound design.)

Sounds like they're removing the time limit of the demo to me and frankly it's barely more interesting, any serious way to make ISK requires skills unavailable to the "Alpha state" they're talking about (well, trading could work, I guess). Too bad, a way to play EVE on and off without full sub could have appealed to me but I fly Battleships a bit too often (and rely on them to make ISK...) for the F2P state to be viable.

Edited by marelooke