What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Since I've been catching up on odd tv lately, I watched Hooten and The Lady.

A UK production for Sky originally, it's a genial romp that's firmly inspired by the old Alan Quartermain / Indiana Jones style pulp adventures.  Has Ophelia Lovibond playing the descended-from-nobility Englishwoman who works for the British Museum finally getting to go out into the field. Once there she ends up in the Amazon jungle facing cannibals, murderous Frenchmen, hidden treasures, and runs into Hooten, a roguish American adventurer (played by Michael Landes).

From the looks of it they've put some money into filming on locations in South Africa, Cambodia and various other places for it. The pilot episode seems to establish that they aren't worried about being substantial or serious about any of it, just simple pulp adventure fun in the modern day.

I gather that each episode will focus on some different artefact and roam around the world.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Ghost Rider effects on Agents of SHIELD were good. Not a big fan of the ghost rider in a muscle car idea though. But it leaves it open to do Dan Ketch and Johnny Blaze fighting the forces of heaven and hell on Netflix.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

HELL TO THA NO.

Having seen the pilot, this may not be entirely inaccurate. They replaced a Cold War-era super science-smart, street-level solo secret agent with an average pretty-people police procedural.  

Still, I won't give up just yet. Didn't catch Lethal Weapon.

My main problems was how smug Macgyver was especially in the beginning. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Its on Fox so even a basic HD antenna should do the job. A quick Google search shows results for as low as $10 so it will pay for itself within one month.

Meanwhile in my household, Comcast bends me over to the tune of $200+ every month. ;(

I called them up to cancel and they dropped me to about 100 bucks to stay

I think I lost Starz in the deal so nothing of real value was lost

Ash vs Evil dead ;_;

hehehe, but yeah it's not worth 100$ extra.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

The Good Place- Funny and a neat premise.

Pitch - Uneven. Sometiems it is good sometimes it is not. The 1st hour was definitely hit or miss. The lead actress especially seems to have her moments where she hits it out of the ballpark and others where you are left scratching your head. I think, also, the writers forget that you don't need to rely on the silly sexist tropes of nonsense.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Watched the MacGyver pilot. It's not really MacGyver as we know it (it actually reminds me a bit more of FOX's version of The Human Target crossed with, say, Arrow but working for the government.)

That said I wasn't un-entertained, so I might watch more - assuming it doesn't hit post pilot blues.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think in some ways it's easy to forget that the original MacGyver was mostly working for that fuzzily undefined Government funded think-tank / agency. But that was just more of a mechanism to get Mac involved in various things, so there was rarely any particular emphasis on it. In this day and age, they always tend to put a big focus on the organisation in todays tv shows.

The original MacGyver actually always reminded me of The Six Million Dollar Man in its set up. Sure, Steve Austin worked for a "spy agency" but other than some specific story reasons, Oscar Goldman was usually the only connection to that agency and Austin was left to do his thing solo.  Similarly Dana Elcar's Pete Thornton was really Mac's only connection to the DXS and later the Phoenix Foundation and usually the setup was done so Mac could do his thing.

So I'm not surprised to see modern Mac ape aspects of other shows for its set-up borrowing a bit from Chuck, Arrow, Human Target and whatever else it can get its hands on.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

BSG gets a little too serious and heavy, thought we'd watch something a little lighter for a change, quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrHdYfORc_4

Edit: Is it just me or is Mr Bean getting craggier/more northern?

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I just got hold of the first half of season 1 The Pretender.   Oh the 90's nostalgia. 

That was a crazy ass weird show (that was generally entertaining) and everyone only had one name.

Jarod the odd genius raised by the mysterious Centre because he has the uncanny ability to assume any identity, the skills that go with it, and analyse a situation through from their viewpoint. Breaks out of the Center in the first episode and goes on the run, taking identities and doing good and punishing bad-guy-of the week in ironic ways. Always leaving just one step ahead of the team chasing him.

Ms Parker, the femme fatale leading the group hunting down Jarod.

Sydney, the Doctor who raised him and while sympathetic is also one of those tasked with hunting Jarod down after he escapes.

Broots, the amiable but cowardly tech guy who also is part of the team hunting Jarod down.

Seriously, 4 years of that show and they never had any more names than that.

Watched the first episode of Luke Cage.  It has a tremendous amount of style.  I like him a lot better than Daredevil, although I'm not sold on the villains yet.  So far Jessica Jones is still my favorite, but this one seems more fun than both DD and JJ.

John Williams' Superman Theme Makes Supergirl Even Better

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/09/john-williams-superman-theme-makes-supergirl-even-better/

There’s about to be a new television version of Superman on the CW’s Supergirl show. Inevitably, someone’s thrown the classic 1978 Superman score behind the already released preview footage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxrngeEuYh8

• Like 1

Pitch  E2 -  This show has  a lot of tools that can make it great but the sexism is hilarious over the top. We get it. All men are monsters and rapists that need to be controlled and enslaved.. LMAO

Thankfully, the acting is mostly really good but if it keeps up the SJW Nazism I'm gonna to have really have to show my evil  manly monstrous side... and, dare call a woman beautiful. Yeha, I'm so mean and evil... I went THERE.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

John Williams' Superman Theme Makes Supergirl Even Better

There’s about to be a new television version of Superman on the CW’s Supergirl show. Inevitably, someone’s thrown the classic 1978 Superman score behind the already released preview footage...

couldn't get through two episodes o' supergirl.  at least a half dozen times in each episode we had to be reminded that supergirl weren't "just a girl."  did the writers ease up on the girlpower later in the season?  

we did like calista flockhart.  sure, she were over-the-top, but so were jk simmons' j. jonah jameson 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I started watching Westworld from HBO, as usual almost anything from HBO is excellent and this seems to be following the same formulae. Here is the trailer if you haven't seen it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I actually couldn't watch Supergirl because of Calista Flockhart's Cat Grant.  I understand the appeal of such a character, I guess, but not one that I'm enamored of.  Supposedly the CW move will minimize her involvement (because Canada) so maybe it'd be more to my tastes.  I might see if I decide to watch all the arrowverse crossover this year.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to watching the new Westworld.