What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

I don't like this concept much: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-showrunners-set-drama-series-confederate-at-hbo-1022631

Alternate history might be fun to speculate about but it has to be plausible. There is a 0% chance slavery would or could exist in North America had the CSA manage to win the US Civil War. If the insistence of the European powers that would not do business with a slave nation did not end it the industrial revolution would have. Civil Rights in the CSA would be a God-awful mess and the history of Mexico and Latin America would have been different given the notions some Confederate politicians had of annexing Mexico. But this concept? Don't think it's going to do much more than be controversial for the sake of being so. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Apropos of nothing, I actually loved the BSG remake.

I liked it overall, despite my reservations, and Exodus 1/2 is one of the best two parters in sci fi, the only ones I'd put as better off the top of my head are Best of Both Worlds and Chain of Command from STTNG, and the latter is mostly due to David Warner and Patrick Stewart. But too much pointless drama (Apollo/ Starbuck primarily) and too much of their religion appropriately as deus ex machina but also as a crutch for badly planned writing really dragged BSG down for me towards the end. Up to the mid point of S3 I'd rate it as excellent, after that it went downhill markedly.

Hmm.  And for the latest teasers from ComicCon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaEUhfMUKQ

It is the 20th anniversary of Stargate: SG-1, and MGM had a surprise for fans of the show at SDCC–they are working on a brand new series starring the daughter of the archaeologist who unearthed the first of Earth’s Stargates, young Catherine Langford.

Fans of the show recall that little Catherine was on the site of the archaeological dig where her father found the gate, and she remained its guardian over the years as various groups decided what to do with it. But it turns out that Catherine had a few secret adventures of her own….

Of course, there will have to be an explanation as to how the gate became viable back then without the help of Daniel Jackson’s translation and a DHD, but that’s a problem for the show to unravel in earnest. And the idea of Catherine Langford having her own Stargate adventure is pretty neat. According to the information released at SDCC, Catherine must “go on an adventure in order to save the Earth from terrifying darkness.”

Stargate Origins will be be offered via a dedicated MGM streaming service called Stargate Command, a brand new platform set to showcase all Stargate-related content, including behind-the-scenes material. Official word from Kevin Conroy, president of digital platforms at MGM, brings more information:

Stargate Command will be available as a streaming service starting this fall. Stargate Origins is set to be a ten-episode series, written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry and directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan. No word yet on who will be playing Catherine Langford, or what over-arching plot of the show will entail.

“We’ve been eager to revisit the ‘Stargate’ franchise, and create an all-new story that honors the founding mythos and gives loyal fans more mystery and adventure. We view ‘Stargate Origins’ as a thank you to fans who have been keeping the spirit of the franchise alive for nearly 25 years. With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch with ‘Stargate Origins.’”

This sounds dumb as hell, imo. I don't mind them making a new spin-off tv show, but this reads like a real crap idea that is forced to contradict established lore.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."