Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's on the idiot box?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
605 replies to this topic

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8607 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Nah, Elba is "too street™".

I have no idea what that means.

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

http://variety.com/2...itz-1201582692/

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3576 posts

This picture feels oddly relevant

89839bdca1d7002ddaaa5245b5185c3962a6800b

Edited by Orogun01, 16 July 2017 - 06:47 PM.

• ShadySands and aluminiumtrioxid like this

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 717 posts
Through with Twin Peaks. The ratio of bad scenes to good is just far too out of balance for me to continue. It's the kind of bad that makes me almost see Lynch's earlier work in a different light. Self indulgence at it's worst.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2320 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

http://variety.com/2...itz-1201582692/

I do have to agree with Horowitz as I don't think Elba (fab actor that he is) is a good fit for Bond either based on prior roles, but his way of phrasing it was hilariously tone deaf. I'd pick Salmon because his prior roles fit Bond better, and to be honest I'd pick him over all the white actors I'd seen suggested. Though it does rather seem we're going to get Craig again anyway.

• algroth likes this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4515 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The first 4 minutes of the new Game of Thrones episode were glorious, but then it just kinda limped along for the next 50 minutes.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 572 posts

The first 4 minutes of the new Game of Thrones episode were glorious, but then it just kinda limped along for the next 50 minutes.

As long as one wolf still lives the sheep are never safe.

• Hurlshot and algroth like this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8607 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Both of Arya's scenes were pretty special, she is easily my favorite character. She was in the books as well.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16966 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Arya is boring and too fanservicy. Also, I think a lot of people are missing the poijt of both those scenes as they see it as Arya being ';cool'. There is nothing 'cool' about mass murder and then smiling about it. The meeting withj the 'nice'  soldiers is to supposed to illustrate that. Arya is turning (or already is) a monster. Not a hero. That said, both her scenes were good because they were entertaining and had narrative purpose. As long as oyu don't think too deeply into that first scene which has way too many parts for her to have done it so perfectly.

Hound, Jon, and Sansa's scenes were fantastic.  Cersei and co were solid as well.

The poop scenes were unnecessary. I tune in for **** and ass not  **** and barfstew. L0L

And, Dany is just pure garbage again.  I can't beleive I actually enjoyed that character before.

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8891 posts

Arya will backstab the Night King

• Volourn and algroth like this

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The major issue with Elba I believe is his age. Even though I'd be fine with him only doing one or two movies, Eon probably wants to sign someone for far more than that. They are getting 5 with Craig and even he seems like he's about to crack.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Arya is boring and too fanservicy. Also, I think a lot of people are missing the poijt of both those scenes as they see it as Arya being ';cool'. There is nothing 'cool' about mass murder and then smiling about it. The meeting withj the 'nice'  soldiers is to supposed to illustrate that. Arya is turning (or already is) a monster. Not a hero. That said, both her scenes were good because they were entertaining and had narrative purpose. As long as oyu don't think too deeply into that first scene which has way too many parts for her to have done it so perfectly.

Are you applying 21st century morals to a War of the Roses era medieval fantasy TV show? What are you, a libtard? :biggrin:

• Volourn and Hurlshot like this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2386 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

Why's Euron Greyjoy less fantasy and more Motorhead?

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Why's Euron Greyjoy less fantasy and more Motorhead?

Oh, wow. I already forgot that Euron was in this episode and I watched it an hour ago. That was... terrible.

Not as terrible as the continuous close ups of Dany. I think I've seen enough of her "I'm looking tough but it really just looks like an O-face" look for a lifetime.

• Labadal likes this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2320 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Are you applying 21st century morals to a War of the Roses era medieval fantasy TV show? What are you, a libtard? :biggrin:

It does work a lot better in the books* though (r00fles!) as the Freyicide is well and truly foreshadowed with all the talk about guest right, the king of the twins game and the rat king story. Violating guest right makes you degenerate scum in that world and the books make it explicitly clear that bad stuff happens as a consequence.

There's also the small matter of Lady Stoneheart and Lord Manderly both offing Freys regularly in the books as well. Just another example of the TV show lacking nuance, albeit understandably.

*well, it hasn't properly happened in the books yet it's obvious that it will.

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm kinda with Volo on Arya in this episode, but likewise I agree that her first scene was pretty sweet. Just a good slice of entertainment. The second sequence was woeful though, and it is by and large because of Ed ****ing Sheeran. He was completely out of place in it and placed so on the forefront so as to stick like a sore thumb, singing his 'folk' tune like he were before the X Factor jury. Groan-inducing tosh. Other than that, a decent-enough season opener.

• Lexx and Labadal like this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16966 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Are you applying 21st century morals to a War of the Roses era medieval fantasy TV show? What are you, a libtard? :biggrin:"

Funny. But, I'm actually using the fictional world's morals to it. Afterall, the show purposefully moralizes things. It is why the Starks are 'good' and the Lannisters are 'bad' according to the  the entire narrative.

If you think Pappa Stark would, in any way, approve of Arya's actions, think again. Of course, knowing him he would try to fix it for Aarya. What Aarya is doing isn't right and I bet even the immoral Hound would tell her so.

P.S. I thought Sheeran did fine for his small part. People being butthurt over a famous guy having a small role are being crybabies. He fit perfectly.

Edited by Volourn, 17 July 2017 - 11:07 PM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wow, pop culture has turned on it's head. We've had gay characters in westerns,

Arguably Dutch Engstrom in The Wild Bunch, assuming there's no more definitive earlier example.

Superman renounced his US Citizenship,

Didn't stick as it was a stunt.

Spider-Man is black... no Puerto Rican... no both (it's a bitch when you can't decide)

Spider-Man is still Peter Parker. Ultimate Spider-Man (a different continuity) was Miles Morales who took over after that universe's Peter Parker died (and who is now in the regular Marvel U post the destruction of the Ultimate Universe).  Note that Doc Ock was Peter Parker as Spider-Man for about two years, so these kind of soap-opera drama changes are par for the course for modern comics.

Doctor Who, Thor, and Captain Marvel are all women now

IIRC there's a myth story where Loki turns Thor into a woman temporarily; also the alternate history of the Earth X stories had Thor being turned to a woman by Odin, both pre-dating Jane Foster-Thor. Captain Marvel was made a woman when Monica Rambeau took the name over in 1982.  Its passed between men and women (including the original Captain Marvel's genetic son and daughter and a Skrull impersonator) until Carol "formerly Ms. Marvel" Danvers took the title.

And as mentioned John Nathan-Turner teased casting a woman since he took over the show, and series producer/former head of the BBC Sydney Newman suggested that casting during the "cancellation crisis" during Colin Baker's tenure.  It was more an inevitability than a possibility, I think.

• Tale likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8607 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

"Are you applying 21st century morals to a War of the Roses era medieval fantasy TV show? What are you, a libtard? :biggrin:"

Funny. But, I'm actually using the fictional world's morals to it. Afterall, the show purposefully moralizes things. It is why the Starks are 'good' and the Lannisters are 'bad' according to the  the entire narrative.

If you think Pappa Stark would, in any way, approve of Arya's actions, think again. Of course, knowing him he would try to fix it for Aarya. What Aarya is doing isn't right and I bet even the immoral Hound would tell her so.

P.S. I thought Sheeran did fine for his small part. People being butthurt over a famous guy having a small role are being crybabies. He fit perfectly.

I'd say the moral of the GoT is that women are bad and men struggle with their consciences. :p

I had no idea who Sheeran was and liked the scene. 

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3801 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

He didn't do anything that ruined the scene, but it was a bit jarring seeing him. I will probably feel the same about McGregor too. It's not a huge deal, but it was a bit silly.

The episode had decent moments, but I don't think it was that good. I just want the plump sir to finish the books, so I can read them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users