Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's on the idiot box?

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2713 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Isn't that new MacGyver series starting this september as well?  I'm still debating whether i'd want to watch the pilot ... I mean the first look trailer was crap. The second trailer was only slightly less crap. 

Then again i'm giving Lethal weapon a chance...

Also i didn't even know there  was a Rush hour tv series . From what i've seen on youtube, maybe i should have never found out about, i would feel much better.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4481 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
September 23 is the premier date for Macgyver. Since James Wan directed the new pilot episode, I'll probably give the first ep if I remember.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1691 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The more I see of the new MacGyver, the less I feel nauseated. Almost interested.

Also, Star Trek turned 50 a few hours ago, so I just wanted to say happy birthday. 

• ShadySands likes this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8726 posts

2zReudV.jpg

dat pure Cornish beauty

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I really can't understand the Cylon air of righteousness in Battlestar Galactica, they've undertaken the genocide of almost an entire species, billions of people, used so many nuclear weapons that the Twelve Colonies should not be habitable/dead worlds for millenia, and yet they still think this is okay with their god? It seems an awfully weak point in trying to get the player to empathise with them, they're utter monsters, whether mankind created them or not, that does not absolve them of responsibility for their actions.

I can't see how anyone can get over this, and I can't see why Baltar doesn't raise this point with his imaginary friend.

Edit: Making twelve life bearing worlds lifeless is also such a crime (considering their rarity in the Milky Way) and an utterly moronic waste that I fail to see what their "plan" is?

Edited by Nonek, 10 September 2016 - 02:07 PM.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4768 posts
They're almost immmune to radiation, so a glowing planet is of little concern- and even so, they have eternity, waiting 200 or a thousand years is nothing.

But it is revealed during the show that the annihilation was not a unanimous descision, but rather something forced through, when Hawkish elements within their collective took over. Which is why they later tried forced coexistence when the more peaceminded gained majority.

And they believe they are Nietzschen ├╝bermensch, elevated above such petty concerns as human morality.
  • Nonek likes this

Nonek

Nonek

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I had guessed they were radiation proof, except the kind found at Ragnarok station, but I would have thought they would want to preserve all of the other evolving lifeforms of the Twelve Colonies that have done nothing to them. Forging a dead environment just for themselves at the expanses of all their gods other creations seems...for wont of a better word, evil.

I think it's the lack of detail on their monotheistic religion that's bothering me: At times their god seems to be presented as a deity of forgiveness and the traditional faith, hope and charity. At other times as the jealous and warlike deity of the Old Testament.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4768 posts

Are you rewatching? Because otherwise I won't spoil too much.

I think though that it's roughly a retelling of the Jewish exodus mixed with the story of Christianity's spread at the expense of the older religions. So their god is not only very similar, it is implied He is the same (pre-jesus at least).

Which is also why He is so vain and vengeful against those who worship false idols.

• Raithe and Nonek like this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4388 posts

Their gods also Greek in origin though. There is a whole episode about the 'arrow of Apollo', and a Pantheon, the seven or the nine was it ? somethig like that. There is a connection to Moses leading his people to safety as well of course. 

Anyway trying to spoil BSG would be like trying to spoil Lost, you could do it and people still wouldn't understand what you were talking about. 

The double length specials are good though. 

• Nonek likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4388 posts

I suppose it does fit with monotheism displacing everything else come to think of it. 

• Nonek likes this

Nonek

Nonek

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Are you rewatching? Because otherwise I won't spoil too much.

I Appreciate it, i've seen a few episodes of season 1 and 2 but due to dislike of the original property I didn't pursue it. So far it's enjoyable and thinking about it the parallel between Exodus and BSG is fairly obvious, making the Egyptians into programmed machines however seems a little heavy handed, though the pursued being the polytheistic is a nice turnaround.

I do wonder whether the president and Baltar's visions are somehow related though, perhaps wrapped up with Cylon ressurection and thought downloading.

• Rosbjerg likes this

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4768 posts

It's a fairly chaotic show, in which they didn't know exactly where they were going (the Lost comparison is unfortunately pretty apt) - but it's still a great run.

• Nonek likes this

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1691 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Fun little teaser for when National City's palm trees become pine trees.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16946 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Too bad that show has alreayd ruined Superman. Did you see who they cast as him? I complained last season when they kept him off screen... but I take that back. He was better off if theyw ere gonna gimp him.

I guess sicne this is Supergirl... they had to make sure that there is no doubt Supergirl > Superman. I wonder how quickly they'll kill him off when they audience craps over the actor. :p

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1691 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I quite like him after seeing this photo today. 

clark_zpsjgvbid3s.png

Jimmy Olsen, Clark Kent, Kara Danvers

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6855 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

is difficult for us to hate the guy seeing as how we have never seen him as an adult in anything... ever. road to perdition? he were thirteen or fourteen? 

'course we couldn't get through more than 2.5 episodes of supergirl. sorry guys, but the show were kinda terrible, other than over-the-top calista flockhart.  didn't disney do a cartoon 'bout a spunky female superhero? kim possible? from what little we saw o' both, the cartoon were better.

HA! Good Fun!

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1691 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Great job, Ninja Warrior course design, keep it up, fantastic drama watching zero finishers. If I wanted to be disappointed, I'd watch the Chargers on any Sunday.   

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4481 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I enjoyed watching the contestants trying to navigate the new courses.  I think its a good thing for the series to not just continue churning out winners each year because they don't try to make things more difficult as contestants adapt to the courses due to familiarity.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6855 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Great job, Ninja Warrior course design, keep it up, fantastic drama watching zero finishers. If I wanted to be disappointed, I'd watch the Chargers on any Sunday.   

is football season and in spite o' our growing concerns 'bout football safety, is difficult for us to take ninja warrior serious when we can see jack lamberts

and walter paytons

every weekend.

with the olympics in the rear view mirror, our admitted irrational disdain for any 'sport' that don't include contact resurfaces in an ugly sorta way.

HA! Good Fun!

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1691 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

whoa, hey, just a little obstacle course fun, no need to throw the Sweetness card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users