Saves gone

PROTOTYPE

Question

Hello,

when I started the game on wednesday I was shocked to see that all of my saves couldn't be loaded anymore. (The loading button was greyed out.)

I found this on the internet:

While trying to follow these instructions I did the following: 

I) I deleted the Obsidian Entertainment folders.

II) I didnt have any save games in the folder: C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Pillars of Eternity, they were all at C:\Users\username\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity so I skipped this step.

III) I ran the game as admin and created a new character since I had no saves available which could be loaded. 

IV) I created a new save then loaded this save and resaved it.

But for some reason my savegames are still not showing up.

Any kind of help would be dearly appreciated.

1 answer to this question

Could you try starting the game with your virus scanner temporarily turned off? (I assume you have one, if not self-installed then Windows Defender) I have been able to reproduce this issue by blocking the TempSave file deliberately (see also here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88009-save-games-not-showing-up/?p=1827931). This is also something that a virus scanner might be doing, especially since PoE is constantly deleting and replacing that file when scanning save games, which a virus scanner might find suspicious.

If turning off the scanner does indeed resolve the problem, this would confirm this as the cause. Solving it should then be a straightforward matter of convincing the scanner to trust the PoE executable. If it doesn't help, could you post the output_log file, that might reveal something. See the sticky thread at the top of the Tech forum on where to find the log.

• Like 1