Coup or attempted coup in Turkey

Malcador

But what is the significance of TK8456?

From what I'm hearing, it's Erdogan's plane.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

CNN just reported that CNN Turkey was taken over by the military. ???

(e): The Turkish Grand Assembly was just bombed on live television again.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

According to an announcement on Turkish Armed Forces' website, they are now control of the entire country. All of this doesn't really sound like "control of the entire country" to me, but hey, what do I know about pulling off a military coup.

• Like 1

Kanal D (nationwide television channel in Turkey) has been reportedly been overtaken by the military. https://i.imgur.com/zMNZHoe.png

Image of previously mentioned announcement on Turkish Armed Forces' website (I do not have a translation): https://i.imgur.com/30l6ALO.png

Edited by Bartimaeus

CNN Turkey's studios is being emptied out, and it looks like it'll be shut down momentarily.

Rough (but supposedly accurate) translation of the previous message:

Turkish Armed Forces; the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms and plant supplied again; the judge again made the rule of law in the country; the re-establishment of the deteriorating public security order; purpose of the administration of the country was completely confiscated.

All international agreements and our commitment remains valid. With all countries of the world, we hope to continue our good relations.

The General Staff of the Republic of Turkey

Two other media publications in Turkey have been reportedly shut down by the military. Jets still flying low overhead in Istanbul. There has been some shooting in front of the CNN Turkey building.

There's also a video of many mutilated corpses in front of an unspecified government building going around, but since it's obviously NSFL (and I couldn't handle watching it past the first few seconds), I'm obviously not going to link it here.

Some pictures of the coup in action. Mostly clean - a tiny bit of blood in a couple of them, but no gore or anything. One might have a dead woman who's mostly covered up (again, no actual violent imagery), though.

http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/military-attempts-coup-in-turkey?articleId=USRTSI6WR

Allegedly, Erdogan's campaign manager, Erol Olçak, has been killed by the military, but I would take that with a grain of salt for the time being.

Edited by Bartimaeus

"Huge explosion" in Ankara was just reported one minute ago. No images/video yet, though, if it's coming.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/turkey-coup-erdogan/bomb-at-parliament-leaves-12-dead/

https://twitter.com/ekizilkaya/status/754114328735977472/photo/1

A press conference of Erdogan is being aired on a government TV channel, but apparently it is a past recording that is not live (and some people were confused about this, as they thought it was a live press conference).

Erdogan has apparently been spotted at Istanbul's Airport, though: https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/754119786657878016/photo/1

Helicopters still shooting at the Grand Assembly for some reason...

Edited by Bartimaeus

Erdogan, in a now live press conference, says military coup-ers are taking orders from a man named Fethullah Gülen, who currently lives in Pennslyvania...

is this guy on crack cocaine

CNN Turkey is apparently back up and running. Erdogan says the hotel he was staying at before getting on his plane was bombed shortly after he left. I take this last one with a grain of salt.

From the looks of things, it seems like pro-Erdogan forces are probably taking control of the situation, but it's tough to say. There's not too much of any information coming in, so I'm done for now. I will say that it seems like the things Erdogan is saying are baloney - from other reports, it seems like he's already been proven to be lying about the bombing of his hotel, and the Gulen thing seems like total absolute nonsense, too...so yeah, that's great.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I learned that there are still commercial planes flying over Turkey....

Also $16 a day rental at Orlando airport is a pretty good deal.

... Who's that from? It's probably just weekend rates [/rentalagent]

I figure that there's three major outcomes of this. 1 is the current government stays in control, and the president clamps down on free speech. 2 is the military takes over and the same thing happens. 3 would be  that this is the kickoff of a protracted civil war to mirror the one in Syria.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The first one seems to be the most likely, currently, especially with his recent "statements" (aka lies) in mind.

The first one seems to be the most likely, currently, especially with his recent "statements" (aka lies) in mind.

It looks like Istanbul has been settled at least. The question is if the rest of the military is a part of this (probably not or we'd be hearing more of it from their side in another location.

I figure that there's three major outcomes of this. 1 is the current government stays in control, and the president clamps down on free speech. 2 is the military takes over and the same thing happens. 3 would be  that this is the kickoff of a protracted civil war to mirror the one in Syria.

Think it was Budget, but not sure. The page timed out and when I reloaded it the ad was gone. I wasn't planning on traveling in Florida anytime soon so I didn't look into it.

Very low for an airport rate in general, though I've no experience renting cars in Florida.

Car rental rates can be wonky, and if you shop around a lot sometimes it's possible to find amazing deals. ie: Last fall I scored a ridiculously low rate on a mid size at a non-airport site. $14.80/day (taxes included) with unlimited miles (this was done by shopping around a lot, using a promo code, and my AAA discount). I kept it for 3 weeks and 3 days and put almost 10,000 miles on it. I almost felt guilty. I paid less for 24 days than the previous renter did for same car for a weekend (they left their receipt in the glove compartment).

Edited by Valsuelm

Think it was Budget, but not sure. The page timed out and when I reloaded it the ad was gone. I wasn't planning on traveling in Florida anytime soon so I didn't look into it.

Very low for an airport rate in general, though I've no experience renting cars in Florida.

Car rental rates can be wonky, and if you shop around a lot sometimes it's possible to find amazing deals. ie: Last fall I scored a ridiculously low rate on a mid size at a non-airport site. $14.80/day (taxes included) with unlimited miles (this was done by shopping around a lot, using a promo code, and my AAA discount). I kept it for 3 weeks and 3 days and put almost 10,000 miles on it. I almost felt guilty. I paid less for 24 days than the previous renter did for same car for a weekend (they left their receipt in the glove compartment).

Eh. It's dependent on demand and fleet levels more than anything. My particular branch of Hertz was at the point we were sending out cars on the weekend for 10 bucks a day (mileage is a thing of the past for the most part especially if local), which is most of the reason that that particular branch is shutting down. Florida is a... wonky market because it's SUCH a tourist state/market.

Looks like the coup is officially Treason, so I'd expect a crackdown soon, which will either make things better, or worse.

Eh. It's dependent on demand and fleet levels more than anything. My particular branch of Hertz was at the point we were sending out cars on the weekend for 10 bucks a day (mileage is a thing of the past for the most part especially if local), which is most of the reason that that particular branch is shutting down. Florida is a... wonky market because it's SUCH a tourist state/market.

Looks like the coup is officially Treason, so I'd expect a crackdown soon, which will either make things better, or worse.

Aye. Hertz was where I rented from. It was October. Typically a low demand month where I live.

One thing I found interesting (and a tip for any would be flyers who rent cars), was that the office I rented from cost nearly half of what it would have cost me if I had gone to the closest Hertz office (I drove an hour to get the deal I got), and local airport rate was more than quadruple what I paid to rent a car from a Hertz office less than 5 miles from the airport office. So, if you're ever in the market for a rental in a place you flew to, it behooves you to check the rates at not just different companies, but different locations of that company, even within the same city. Taking a short cab ride to a non airport rental office very well might be worth it.

Also, sites like Priceline were only marginally helpful. I would never have found the deal I found had I not shopped directly on the rental company's site, and played with dates on the site to find the best rate (ie: what day you start your rental on can make a big difference, Monday's rate might be different than Tuesday's rate, which might be different than Wednesday's rate, etc).

Edited by Valsuelm

So Erdogan stated Gülen should return to Turkey.

Maybe all the immigrant Turks who got onto the streets in Germany and Belgium and attacked Gulen social houses should return too.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

IF he will stay in power, it will only increase islamic state trend.

Did not really expect it, and to be honest it is one of the last things we need in the volatile political scenery we have now. At some point economy will simply collapse again. and then welcome back to the 30s of the 20th century...