Coup or attempted coup in Turkey

Malcador

Doesn't look like they've nabbed either Erdogan or his PM though. That really should have been the first step if they wanted to succeed or not end up with different army groups fighting each other.

It is kind of ironic that a military coup probably would increase Turkey's chances of EU accession.

My logic is that if a group hasn't appeared to support Erdogan through force of arms at this stage, its less likely (practically impossible) to appear with each passing hour.

Would we know if there was? If units on the Syrian border, say, were loyal to Erdogan it would take them a long time to get to Ankara let alone Istanbul. And any fighting would likely take place in army bases or rural areas and not be reported by the state media which is controlled by the coup forces. With much of social media not working there's plenty of scope for fighting or loyalist troops to be around and for us to simply not know.

After all, it's in the coup's best interests to minimise coverage of any resistance so as to discourage any others who are thinking of resisting either in the civilian populace or military/ police/ intelligence. Also while we may dislike the AKP and Erdogan it has to be remembered that he genuinely, regularly, won elections with actual majorities and not just pluralities. There are a lot of Turks who like him every bit as much as there are a lot of external and internal people who dislike him.

In a shocking turn of events it's the army blocking stuff now. You know, doing a coup and all. And being actually in Turkey, not Mongolia.

There are a lot of Turks who like him every bit as much as there are a lot of external and internal people who dislike him.

Pretty much like Poetin. And Hollande. And everyone in London. And Trump. It's fairly common for exterials to hate leaders more than the people voting for them. And then there's the EU. In their "defense", no one actually voted for them. Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I have to say that i am completely surprised by this, as i remember him purging the military years ago with all those trials. What finally made the cup runneth over this time?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Doesn't look like they've nabbed either Erdogan or his PM though. That really should have been the first step if they wanted to succeed or not end up with different army groups fighting each other.

It is kind of ironic that a military coup probably would increase Turkey's chances of EU accession.

My logic is that if a group hasn't appeared to support Erdogan through force of arms at this stage, its less likely (practically impossible) to appear with each passing hour.

Would we know if there was? If units on the Syrian border, say, were loyal to Erdogan it would take them a long time to get to Ankara let alone Istanbul. And any fighting would likely take place in army bases or rural areas and not be reported by the state media which is controlled by the coup forces. With much of social media not working there's plenty of scope for fighting or loyalist troops to be around and for us to simply not know.

After all, it's in the coup's best interests to minimise coverage of any resistance so as to discourage any others who are thinking of resisting either in the civilian populace or military/ police/ intelligence. Also while we may dislike the AKP and Erdogan it has to be remembered that he genuinely, regularly, won elections with actual majorities and not just pluralities. There are a lot of Turks who like him every bit as much as there are a lot of external and internal people who dislike him.

I dunno, people like him usually stay in power by marginalizing the military and favoring the police because the police are more dependent. I recall him preventing a coup a few years back by arresting some officers.

I don't think he has much support in military circles.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Detaining the president doesn't necessarily work. Remember Chavez. Maybe it's smarter to marginalize him. Besides if you detain the president you are if not admiting to then at least signaling an unlawful coup. In Thailand they just declare martial law and that parliament has been disolved pending elections. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Erdogan's supporters at the city senter chanting Allahu Ekber and "resisting" tanks, one of which was filmed crushing a cab. Army shooting up some other supporters on the bridge that are probably throwing rocks at them.

I don't think he has the critical mass to reverse this. 

imagerbs6f.jpeg

I was in a coup and all I got was this lousy Iphone.

Shots fired, russian source, google translate:

Fighter F-16 Air Force shot down a Turkish military helicopter over Ankara. This was reported by a local television station NTV.

To what parts of it are owned aircraft, are not reported.

In other words, they don't know whose F16 it is.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I have to say that i am completely surprised by this, as i remember him purging the military years ago with all those trials. What finally made the cup runneth over this time?

Too early to tell. I'd put a small sum on a backdoor behind the curtains NATO influenced shenanigan though.

Looks like this coup has failed

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, this is... unexpected.....

It might be time to expect more unexpected. It's looking like the poop may have been tossed. When it hits the fan is anyone's guess, but specks of it are certainly beginning to hit some on the ground.

But perhaps there's still more time and they're just flicking specks off the pile right now. One can hope....

I'm reading all sorts of conflicting information - some say it's succeeded, some says it's failed. Guess we'll have to wait a few days to figure out who's lying.

(e): Although given that we're hearing it from both sides, I guess it might be fair to say that both are lying, since clearly neither one of them has been able to shut up the other side.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.