Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

• Please log in to reply
558 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

So because the national park won't let a young-earth creationist collect rocks....

Creationist sues the Grand Canyon for religious discrimination

Well to be fair they really didn't say WHY his permit was denied. If they do 80 a year and his application is #81 he has no case. Reapply next year. And why would his book cause a stir? If you think it's absurd don't buy it but don't get down on them for trying to sell it.

Besides, everyone knows the Grand Canyon was created by Paul Bunyon dragging is double bladed axe behind him as walked to Colorado after cutting down the Mojave Forest.

• ShadySands likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2271 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Scary_Stories_to_Tell_in_the_Dark_cover.

Some of them were pretty scary when I was a young'un

• redneckdevil likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 2271 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So because the national park won't let a young-earth creationist collect rocks....

Well to be fair they really didn't say WHY his permit was denied. If they do 80 a year and his application is #81 he has no case. Reapply next year. And why would his book cause a stir? If you think it's absurd don't buy it but don't get down on them for trying to sell it.

Besides, everyone knows the Grand Canyon was created by Paul Bunyon dragging is double bladed axe behind him as walked to Colorado after cutting down the Mojave Forest.

I thought they said it failed the peer review and that he could get the rocks outside the protected area or somesuch

Anyway, it seems weird to spend his life in a field that he doesn't believe the science of and he's constantly trying to debunk. I guess as long as he's happy...

Edit- But I've been failing my reading rolls lately so I could be totally off

Edited by ShadySands, 20 May 2017 - 01:41 PM.

• Guard Dog likes this

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 832 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm still pissed the schools banned my favorite books growing up, scary stories to tell in the dark. The art style and stories gave me my love for horror and accepted and finally bonded with my dad with our family times of watching horror movies.

Time to go see if I can find those books on amazon

What books?

https://youtu.be/MvbU1dOz_1c

https://youtu.be/k-E2ZlqCThA

https://youtu.be/qDmce0e0ce4

The art work really added to the atmosphere. This is the kinda stuff I look back on and know in some ways I grew up in an awesome era bc sadly doesn't fly anymore :(
All good, I got a copy with original artwork and when the time is right, read that to them on Halloween.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

I ought ti apply for a permit. When that ask why I'll say at want to glue googly eye on the rocks with a smiley face and a caption that says "I saw the Grand Canyon". If I get approved THEN he can sue!

:lol:

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

Scary_Stories_to_Tell_in_the_Dark_cover.

Some of them were pretty scary when I was a young'un

I'd never heard of it until I looked up just now. But friends let me tell you, some of those stories are old. A hell of a lot older than a book from the '80s. It's pretty cool to see them all collected in a book though.

Your library banned this RNdevil? I wonder why? I bet they had all of Poe's books. Same kind of thing.

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

• Members
  • 832 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
It actually made the most challenged book in school for quite a few years or something like that.
Yeah it was awesome because it introduced me into the older stories when your at an age to only know the generic ones.

https://www.quora.co...ned-If-so-where

Edited by redneckdevil, 20 May 2017 - 02:34 PM.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3179 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I can always remember my first attempt to read Bram Stoker's Dracula when I was 8, and getting terrified by Harker's descent into madness and ending up in the asylum after escaping the castle.

• Azdeus and redneckdevil like this

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

• Members
  • 832 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
That was what I selected for my kids the first horror movie. I thought a great choice because that was the best introduction I could think of for a one of many representation of evil.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6806 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

Such is the fate of traitors.

That's not an entirely fair characterization. The United States in those days was nothing like it is today. It really was a union of 33 largely independent states by today's standard. The power of the Federal Government was weak compared to today. If you were a citizen of Virginia you were more likely to consider yourself a Virginian than an American. Gen George Thomas was an excellent commander. He served under Grant in the west and won a number of major victories. He was outnumbered at Chickamunga and held against Johnson. He defeated Gen John Bell Hood at Franklin & Nashville, which essentially knocked Tennessee out of the war. He was born in Virginia and chose to remain with the Federal army. You could actually make a case he was more of a traitor to his home and family than Lee was. He lost everything for his choice and even was refused command of the western theater by Lincoln despite Grants suggestion because he was a southerner.

If the war did nothing else if forged a national identity where there was not one before. Had slavery been killed in the crib during the ratification of the Constitution, as it should have been, the US would be a very different country today. So different it's difficult to even guess what it would look like.

Was sort of aware of that, at least from the tales of Lee just following his state. But, lose a civil war, this kind of thing is what happens. Well the best of what happens, I guess. You could end up being hanged :p

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4334 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think he'll first have to demonstrate that collecting rocks for research purposes is a religious practice, which would then be protected under the First Amendment. That amendment doesn't protect everything to do with religion.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3179 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Neil Gaiman to read aloud the Cheesecake Factory menu if money is raised for UN Refugee Agency

The Cheesecake Factory’s menu is the In Search of Lost Time of the restaurant industry, in that it is far too long and probably includes a madeleine or two. 

Neil Gaiman is a very famous author (American Gods, Stardust, Coraline) with a notably soothing British accent, who has nothing to do with the Cheesecake Factory but has been dared to read its convoluted bill of fare anyway.

How’d this happen?

It all began with writer/comedian Sara Benincasa, a self-professed cheesecake addict, whose Twitter bio now reads “Neil Gaiman Will Read The Entire @Cheesecake Menu If We Raise $500K For @Refugees.” 

In a Crowdrise campaign launched today, she outlined her mission to coax Gaiman into performing a dramatic reading of the menu ― which, according to Benincasa, consists of at least “8,000 pages,” representing what we feel is a very reasonable estimate.

The campaign states plainly:

I asked Neil Gaiman if he’d do a live reading of the Cheesecake Factory menu if I raised $500,000 for a charity of his choice. And because he’s not just a great artist but a great person, he said yes. He chose UNHCR, the United Nations Refugee Agency. I want to hit this goal by World Refugee Day on June 20. 

Why? Well, why not?

Gaiman has already agreed to comply with the absurd Cheesecake challenge. If, you know, his fans are capable of scrounging together half a million dollars before June 20.

So far the campaign has raised just over $1,400, so Gaiman’s readers certainly have some donating to do. Go ahead, make your strange, seemingly arbitrary, Cheesecake-laced literary dreams come true here.

And don’t forget the incredibly necessary hashtag: #neilcake.

Edited by Raithe, 23 May 2017 - 02:17 AM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

You gotta be kidding me! http://redalertpolit...opriation-food/

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8433 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's not a real thing though. Just because a bunch of twitter wierdos tweet and some blog complains about it, doesn't make it an actual movement. This article is actually spreading the dumbness by bothering to react to it.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts

That's not a real thing though. Just because a bunch of twitter wierdos tweet and some blog complains about it, doesn't make it an actual movement. This article is actually spreading the dumbness by bothering to react to it.

Ceterum autem censeo Twitter esse delendam.

• Azdeus likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

Oh I know there is nothing to this but absurdity. That's why I posted it here and not in the politics thread. But it is silly.

On a side note I was reminded of Babu Bhatt's restaurant in Seinfeld, The Dream Cafe, that had every type of ethic food on the menu. I thought it would be cool to have a place like that. Then I realized we do... The Golden Corral! The bad news is the food ain't that good. The good news is there is plenty of it!

• Hurlshot likes this

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2120 posts
The world's largest aircraft: http://www.nbcnews.c...-flight-n763706

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

In today's news the evolution of primates continues unabated. A few months ago it was reported they had entered the stone age. Now they are branching into organized crime: https://www.newscien...-for-a-cracker/

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 2271 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A Man Is Serving 10 Years In Prison Because Of The Crime He Was Acquitted Of

When police arrested Chatman in connection with the 2014 corner store robbery, he was still on probation. He faced a hearing to reconsider the terms of the probation, where Superior Court Judge Jack Niedrach decided Chatman did likely rob the store, which legally, was enough for the judge to revoke his original probation.

Per rules surrounding the first offender status, this meant Chatman was re-sentenced for his original crime. He was ordered to serve 10 years in prison, backdated to his first brush with the law.  

Six months later, a jury found Chatman not guilty of the corner store robbery. They acquitted him of armed robbery and aggravated assault. Despite the verdict, the judge chose not reinstate Chatman’s probation, according to 11 Alive.

Chatman will remain in prison until 2022 for getting arrested for a crime a jury acquitted him of but a judge thinks he “likely” committed while on probation for an earlier charge. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users