Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6914 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

But these books are freely available inside government, state and federal buildings.

so what?  you are arguing simple to make a bad point.  you suggested "burn" or "hide away" books.  the government never owned Gromnir's books or the ideas they contain.  if the government tried to come to Gromnir's home and take our bust o' nietzsche and burn it or hide it away, we would be mad as hell.  

converse, if tomorrow the city o' new orleans placed a mammoth sized version o' our nietzsche bust in a municipal park, who would be offended if a week later they decided to move it to a museum instead?  one or two diehard thus spoke zarathustra fans? even if there were huge uproar or resistance, then how else other than ordinary democratic process should one resolve the kerfuffle?  

seriously folks.

HA! Good Fun!

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5152 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I mean, 725 Pelican Ave, New Orleans, LA 70114 (NO public library) is a state financed building. Inside is filled wall to wall, floor to ceiling with state financed books. Many of these books make <someone> angry for <reasons>. Why is this state funded <blight on humanity> acceptable?

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6914 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I mean, 725 Pelican Ave, New Orleans, LA 70114 (NO public library) is a state financed building. Inside is filled wall to wall, floor to ceiling with state financed books. Many of these books make <someone> angry for <reasons>. Why is this state funded <blight on humanity> acceptable?

if the city of new orleans decided to get rid of their library, what other than the democratic process would or should stop them from doing so? 

you aren't making sense.

HA! Good Fun!

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2120 posts

Meanwhile the Lenin statue is still there: http://www.saint-pet...oshchad-lenina/   Many have been removed, but not this one, not because most people admire Lenin, but because it's an iconic statue and a pivotal moment in history.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5152 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Isnt that the exact rationale for the various book burnings throughout history?

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4422 posts

So apparently the FTC has sent warning letters to a bunch of celebrities about promoting brands without disclosing the relationship. This sounds insane to me. I think it is dumb that people buy stuff because celebrities are into it, but I think it is even dumber that the government feels the need to get involved in it.

A conflict of interest in the life or death decision of choosing the right moisturizer ?

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4422 posts

I kinda get why they would do that though. Imagine Jennifer Lopez is sponsored by a beauty brand of some sort. She is payed to promote it on social media. The brand becomes commonly associated with her. 

Now whatever appearance she makes, the late show, Jimmy Kimmel, whatever. Those broadcasting companies are now actively promoting Jennifer Lopez's beauty brand because of the heavy association between the two. That's why you need disclosure.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6914 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Isnt that the exact rationale for the various book burnings throughout history?

eh?

who are you talking to?

what book burnings do you see paralleling the placing o' statues into a museum rather than having 'em public displayed?

go ahead and try to take Gromnir's books, or gifted's books?  Constitution protects. at the same time, your link includes burnings of books by private citizens.  such burnings is Protected here in the US, in case you were unaware.  wanna make a political statement by burning the right stuff?  go for it.

at the same time, "hide" away books in a government building where folks can voluntarily visit (or not) and still see 'em and read 'em.  one wonders what might we call such a building to house books?  

am knowing you think there is a parallel, but you ain't actual making one.  

HA! Good Fun!

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

Taking books off the required reading list and banning them are not the same thing by any means. I'm a bit dubious on what can be accomplished forcing students to read books someone other than them thought were important. I think they would be better served being able to choose from a list of 100 or so titles and be tested on those. That's for K-12. The worst thing you can do to a kid is turn reading into a chore.

Yes I'm talking about you J.D Salinger. Catcher in the Rye was the worst-book-ever. That is a week of my life I'll never get back!

And Dickens, your Great Expectations wasn't so great either... cool plot twist though. Got to hand it to you there.

Edited by Guard Dog, 19 May 2017 - 12:39 PM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8429 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Meanwhile the Lenin statue is still there: http://www.saint-pet...oshchad-lenina/   Many have been removed, but not this one, not because most people admire Lenin, but because it's an iconic statue and a pivotal moment in history.

Sure, which is why the Andrew Jackson statue in NO isn't going anywhere. It is iconic. 

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5152 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The obvious parallel is, both the public library and public parks (or wherever these statues were), are financed by the state/city. If the rationale is to remove offensive <stuff> from public view then where is the line drawn? Aside, I honestly had no idea that the Constitution protects books. What other mediums are protected? Paintings? Obviously statues do not enjoy such protection. Sincere question; if enough NA's got together could they force the covering of Mt. Rushmore with a giant curtain, for example?

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6914 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Taking books off the required reading list and banning them are not the same thing by any means. I'm a bit dubious on what can be accomplished forcing students to read books someone other than them thought were important. I think they would be better served being able to choose from a list of 100 or so titles and be tested on those. That's for K-12. The worst thing you can do to a kid is turn reading into a chore.

Yes I'm talking about you J.D Salinger. Catcher in the Rye was the worst-book-ever. That is a week of my life I'll never get back!

to be fair, there is Constitutional limitations regarding what books can be exorcised from school reading lists.  is quite ambiguous what such limits is, but most attempts to ban individual books fail in the courts 'cause reasons for doing so is too transparent content-based prohibitions. typical cannot remove books from shelves simply 'cause the state doesn't like the message. one o' the justifications by the courts for defending school/library books from banning is the educational value o' books.

even so, the statues and memorials is viewed different than books, for what we would think would be obvious reasons. huckleberry finn may offend or trigger or whatever is the in vogue language o' the day, but while people may be offended by concepts in the book, twain's book gotta be read extreme narrow to be seen as advocating racism.  have somebody at hurlshot's school actual teach advocacy o' racism using huckleberry finn would last 'bout 10 seconds, no? confederate flags (which again, only gained usage during and after the civil war) and statues of folks who is inextricable linked with the perpetuation o' slavery is gonna understandable annoy many.  is the statue o' jefferson davis having an educational purpose?  is the jefferson davis statute in fact being used to educate people 'bout the inadequacy o' a decentralized government in times o' crisis?  is no doubt why you got a grand old statue to show how bad were the situation jefferson davis were facing.  

make an enormous statue o' a drinking fountain with the label "colored" 'pon it. do it up in bronze or marble.  maybe have some famous southern politician standing next to the fountain... or not. set it down in the center o' charleston south carolina. private property?  not much the government can do.  thank goodness. but public property?  tell us it represents decades o' southern traditions.  tell us the folks o' charleston shouldn't be able to ask for the removal o' the statue to a museum rather than a park.  even if gifted thinks the statue has educational value, you still thinks folks in charleston should have no say in removal?

and yes, statues enjoy same protections as paintings.  gifted's painting or Gromnir's painting enjoys protection. state wanna tell gifted he cant have a statue o' a gold drone displayed in his gallery or home?  such ain't gonna work.  converse, some city hall yutz gives gifted permission to display his statue in the richard j. daley and it not mean we is stuck having to endure gifted's statue in perpetuity. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Gfted1 likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

Hmmm.... books... statues... there were two different conversations right? If not I might have missed something

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

Sure, which is why the Andrew Jackson statue in NO isn't going anywhere. It is iconic. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=VL7XS_8qgXM

• Hurlshot likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8429 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Geez, that 8th grader pulled 1.8 million views on his class project. That's impressive.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

OK, after rereading I see where Gfted was going. My mistake.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6914 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

am knowing this is likely to confuse the matter, but we should mention how most o' the relevant first amendment art cases deal with living artists. try and silence a living artist who has already been given permission to display his art is tending to be repugnant to the constitution. artist don't get a perpetual right to display his work, but try and remove a work immediate 'cause o' public response is gonna be troublesome. the first amendment protections is, with a few confusing exceptions, a prohibition on the state in defense o' a speaker's fundamental rights.

there is  an implied right (5-4 decision) to receive a speaker's message, and such a right has been used infrequent to protect against the prohibition o' books. the educational value o' books typical outweigh the weak community interest to suppressing vulgarity or offensiveness. however, in cases concerning State (fed, state, local) commision o' a work, located on public property wherein the original artist is deceased, such cases typical die for simple lack o' standing.  the speaker needing protection is not in court to protest.  the message o' the original artist ain't diminished by moving a statue to a museum anymore than is a book diminished by placing it in a library.  prevent removal o' a statue nominal owned by State on public property is a tough case particular with a temporal remote created work o' art and no living speaker/artist to protect.

HA! Good Fun!

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 826 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm still pissed the schools banned my favorite books growing up, scary stories to tell in the dark. The art style and stories gave me my love for horror and accepted and finally bonded with my dad with our family times of watching horror movies.

Time to go see if I can find those books on amazon

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3179 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So because the national park won't let a young-earth creationist collect rocks....

Creationist sues the Grand Canyon for religious discrimination

• ShadySands likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

I'm still pissed the schools banned my favorite books growing up, scary stories to tell in the dark. The art style and stories gave me my love for horror and accepted and finally bonded with my dad with our family times of watching horror movies.

Time to go see if I can find those books on amazon

What books?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users