Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Advice for a new player?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Reent

Reent

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 275 posts

the less reliant on squishy damage dealer you are, the faster you can scale up to POTD 

[...]

POTD isnt as much about game mechanics as its about items and encounter knowledge.

As long as you leave yourself a way out in all fights or play a defensive party, you  can start POTD quite early

But why would you want to? Even if a new player would eventually want to try out PotD at all (which isn't a given), why is it better if (s)he gets there more quickly? Especially when, as you say, it requires game knowledge a new player inherently does not yet possess.

I would have loved to start the game with POTD - if act 1 had a similiar difficulty as act 2 i would have finished the game with a party directly (restart POTD in act 1 instead of act 2) - however since the game was too easy for "hard" i restarted and played POTD at the end of act 2, only to stop the run at about the same point again and restart with a solo character - i prefer challenges! Thats why i havent finished everything yet, i know if i played a party i would get bored and die because of it (ironman always - naked chanter and until the first run to thaos were the exceptions) since i simply cant be bothered with the game if its too easy - while there are some bugs that make the builds i wanna play quite a bit weaker and i am waiting because i hope they are gone next patch (monk with triggered immunity bug... monk with torments reach bug... maybe chanter can buff his dragon thrashed next patch... that would be awesome)

my solo run didnt finish thaos because of bad spells, bad items and bugged talent (itemslots), started a group run (ironman potd) after that and finished the game with 150+ death - the game was too easy to make me bother about anything, if my MC hadnt been a 3 con mage i wouldnt have needed pauses outside of bossfights (4 tanks, 1 healer, 1 3con mage... no i didnt need the mage for the fights, he simply made the game much harder)

And i am not the only one who found hard too easy, i watched some streams when the game was released and one of them even went as far as changing it to POTD later on (as you know, not possible without tools or something) blind POTD... it wasnt that hard after act 1... quite some ppl played POTD blind on release on twitch.

Now... i only play solo potd ironman, everything else is too easy - maybe i will try a no pause full clear party run... but that would be too hard instead :D

Edited by Reent, 20 May 2016 - 12:20 PM.

Erstarrung

Erstarrung

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

i only play solo potd ironman, everything else is too easy

Yes, I as well only play solo potd ironman, but with my hands tied behind my back and just randomly pressing a button on my keyboard with my nose -  everything else would be far too easy, you know!

And by the way, your remarks make perfect advice for a new player, as was requested...

• rheingold and Loren Tyr like this

Reent

Reent

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 275 posts

Yes, I as well only play solo potd ironman, but with my hands tied behind my back and just randomly pressing a button on my keyboard with my nose -  everything else would be far too easy, you know!

And by the way, your remarks make perfect advice for a new player, as was requested...

the advice i gave wasnt the remarks about my "i only play" it was about doors, withdraw and other thinks.

and you know what? I have played 389h Pillars, (thats what steam says, its more - there is a bug, if i dont open it with steam it doesnt log and doesnt unlock achievements) and i finished the game a grand total of... 5 times? (group once, 2 times vanilla ironman chanter, 1 time ranger ironman vanilla, one time non ironman naked chanter with both expansion main storyline) I could go on and on and on and tell you why the game is easy, but i will make it short: if i dont play ironman i dont learn anything about how good my build is, because i die because of "its faster to risk dying then to make sure not to die" all the time, now if i am serious about a chanter run and its content i already mastered... i dont die. With all the tricks i learned in my runs i could finish the game in a serious ironman (chanter) attempt faster than in casual non ironman run - and man that feels good!

Bugged Wolf Companion

Bugged Wolf Companion

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts

i had to laugh for 3 straight minutes

• Erstarrung likes this

Eadan

Eadan

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Just signed up to say after playing 200 hours I would have preferred if someone told me the game gets easier later on even on PoTD with high level scaling, especially if you are a completionist. Not to hijack this thread, but now I am wondering if solo play provides any meaningful challenge or is it about abusing some mechanics? Would using ie mod with half xp makes the game more fun than a solo run?

Reent

Reent

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 275 posts

Just signed up to say after playing 200 hours I would have preferred if someone told me the game gets easier later on even on PoTD with high level scaling, especially if you are a completionist. Not to hijack this thread, but now I am wondering if solo play provides any meaningful challenge or is it about abusing some mechanics? Would using ie mod with half xp makes the game more fun than a solo run?

Hmmmm, it depends, there are ways to overpower enemies with either aoe damage and/or tankiness, making straight fights a real possibility (i prefer chanter with high damage AOE, if the talents would work for chants it would be a real possibility in almost all fights - maybe even without taking summons at all... and without kiting).

For me its nice, but i am not above abusing my summons (before playing naked chanter i tried to make do without using summons as much as possible, however now i learned that abusing my summons with different tricks can speed up the run... like needing no rests to clear some maps instead of one rest every 1-3 fights while killing every group only 5-10 secs slower (some maps i even clear groups faster with the summon abuse then in a straight fight where i use all figurines to tank) but without risks)

It can be a nice challenge (wizard) or it can be pretty abusive (if i play ranger you can be sure that no fight was fought without kiting them to hell and back - as long as the enemy has no CC and isnt faster... why would i allow them to attack even once? (ranged enemies are a different story, they get focused early)) or it can be plain boring (priest - the slowest clearspeed despite mass AOE abilities... maybe later on its fine...) - i want to play solo barb too, if my build works i can straight up fight everything but bossfights... however a character that cant kill some bosses... thats no good, but i dont know how to kill dragons etc with barbs (and i dont use scrolls... if i want to kill everything with spells i play a caster).

You have to try for yourself, solo play isnt for everyone, when i started solo runs... it was a learning experience, i died and died and died... sure, part of it was because it was the first time i played that class (and i started solo quite early), but with a group you can do quests in random order and not care about it, however in solo play... thats not the case, there are quests you can and should do instantly while some quests should wait... it can be quite punishing if you dont know which quests you can manage.

Redblood

Redblood

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts

The best bow is of course the soulbound hunting bow "stormcaller". It's not really hard to get and to upgrade, only the max level, cuz you have to kill the sky dragon to do so. And only ranger, chiper and chanter can bind it.

you don't have to kill the dragon to get the max level you can camp at the entrance and unlock the crackling bolts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users