Defining Social Justice Warrior

Hurlshort

So what is a Social Justice Warrior?

A shorthand catch all term for for actually regressive (self labelled) progressives. Requires some level of preachiness, hypocrisy, tone deafness, self righteousness, bad faith, self delusion, poor argumentation, lack of logic, pseudo religious zeal etc etc. Has to have an absolute belief that they are doing The Right Thing, that it is some sort of fundamental Struggle and that it is Important in the great scheme of things and must strenuously express their views to everyone who will or won't listen.

What actions would you need to take to earn such a label?

Strong belief in mutually contradictory/ hypocritical concepts like individual rights and the absolute need to be seen as individuals for those viewed as oppressed (and themselves) as well as a strong belief in an almost taxonomic classification system of 'oppression'. Everybody else- including those from disadvantaged groups who don't agree with the sjw- doesn't get those rights and gets to be part of some sort of oppressive morass where they only exist as a boogeyman. They also have to act on those beliefs, not just hold them.

To stress that; these two questions are basically identical in practise as it's actions rather than beliefs that make an sjw. It's perfectly possible- albeit difficult- to believe in the sjw manifesto without actually becoming an sjw because you absolutely have to be an obnoxious knobend to be an sjw; if you don't fulfil that criterion then you can't actually be one. The closest analogue would be something like a evangelical christian who cannot stop evangelising loudly and publicly to the extent that you suspect that tehy're not doing it because they actually believe in the god from the bible but because they love thinking that they're better than others and can't wait to tell people how much better they are.

Have they affected this forum?  Obsidian Entertainment?

Not really. I wouldn't label anyone here as an sjw- the most prominent theoretical sjw is just a self admitted troll.

Do you see them as a problem?

Kind of. The root problem is not with their politics per se, but their actions and methods. Those problems are shared with a large number of other groups who have radically different specific beliefs- objectivists/ laissez faire absolutists/ ancap; reactionaries, religionists etc are all groups here some individuals share the same problems with method.

Randian philosophy is quite a good non religious analogue, with things like its labelling of people as good hard working producer types vs the horrible parasitic types- and of course Objectivists all fall into the former rather than the latter camp. And evangelical objectivists are every bit as annoying, too.

What is the solution?

'What can change the nature of a mann individual?'

• Like 2

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C.S Lewis on moral tyranny.

I do find it telling that the quote originates from a person who never lived under robber barons nor omnipotent moral busibodies.

It also happens to be a bit of a tautology, inasmuch as being oppressed by omnipotent anything intent on oppressing you is always going to be worse than any non-omnipotent alternative. (Not like it was his point, but it's something I couldn't help pointing out.)

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Not really. I wouldn't label anyone here as an sjw- the most prominent theoretical sjw is just a self admitted troll.

I would. Though the warriors aren't here in any great numbers their supporters have a decent population on this forum.

SJWs have affected Obsidian Entertainment.

Most obviously here.

"cuck" is a man who lets his wife or significant other to sleep with others. The word is derived from "cuckhold", which happens in nature. The cuckoo bird lays its eggs in the nest of other species of birds who then feeds and raises them. It is meant to point out a man is such a failure at sexually pleasing his wife that his self-hatred of such drives him into allowing her, or directly helping her sleeping with others. 

That's a tellingly specific insult. Of course it originates from the alt-right; heck, it is the alt-right, neatly summarized in less than three lines of text.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

4. For me as a leftist they have been a major problem. Most left organizations on my campus and area have been colonized to the point wanting to talk about class issues(IE material reality) gets one branded a "class-reductionist" or "workerist". While I can certainly take name calling, it's difficult to convince people who otherwise agree with me to embrace certain things when they associate it with screeching harpies from upper class families who will be liberals in five years.

This is my experience as well, speaking from my inside perspective of university and college departments over here, as well as of government bodies. If this is the definition of SJW, I've seen a clear increase in their numbers and detrimental effects over the last 15 years or so.

I would also characterize myself as something of a leftist, although probably more of social liberal kind than KaineParker, if I'd hazard a guess, and I've found that this "me, myself and I"-avalanche from brash and loud and needy identity politics purveyors simply has steam-rolled over everything that really should matter: basic freedom and equality, material conditions of people's lives, safety issues, housing, education. I've experienced first hand how such issues succumb to Don Quixote-like windmill jousting. Stepping on toes is the name of the game, and there seem to be hundreds of toes per foot, and they're all gargantuan big toes, let me assure you.

There are so many essential problems that we really need to take care of hands-on, and then these pseudo-abuse debates lock down entire work places for years. (Happily, I do not work in any of those any longer.) It's like comparing Facebook social interactivity with real life. The substance is simply not there. Instead, the whole thing is by proxy, and I mean that in a negative way, like Münchhausen by proxy, if you get the drift.

It's high time that we get our hands dirty and get on with it! :)

/end rant

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I would. Though the warriors aren't here in any great numbers their supporters have a decent population on this forum.

SJWs have affected Obsidian Entertainment.

Most obviously here.

Well... I don't really see that as being sjwism, per se. I think the Obsidian response was very poor, but not because it was bending the knee to sjws- after all, the actual content of PoE is not notable for being stridently 'progressive' and it was utterly extraneous content- mainly it was about Obsidian being understandably controversy averse.

That is based on taking the Obsidian response at face value, ie that they should have asked for the poem to be altered at the time it was submitted as it was always 'problematic'. I don't like the memorials/ user created content at all though I understand why it's there of course; however, it is curated content and was always supposed to be so there was no expectation that anything goes and it was fully free speech, implied or otherwise. If Obsidian wanted it to be uncontroversial content then it was their responsibility to vet what went in whatever form it was. In that, they failed but then tried to shift blame, which was gutless but only peripherally related to sjws.

Throwing the writer under the bus later was a decidedly scummy move far more so than any supposed knuckling under to a few twitter warriors and was a clear case of wanting to have the cake and eat it too. In the end though, that's on Obsidian, and it could have been any issue. There's as good a case that the poem was misandry as much as transphobic, after all, if you're a humourless git at least. And, when it comes right down to it it was the most optional of optional content, whether it was there or not effected nothing. If that's the worst impact sjws have had here there isn't much to worry about considering what's happened elsewhere. Try neogaf/ NMA or similar to see what knuckling under really entails.

(and in the linked thread itself the original post is from a single post user [which itself makes them unlikely to actually be an sjw, it's only one pretty polite post after all rather than persistent diatribes] and has a handful of likes while one saying it shouldn't be changed has more than ten times the number of likes; it's hardly evidence of a sjw infestation just that some people did genuinely find the joke transphobic)

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

This is what SJWism is in its ultimate form. Hilarious but sad that these people have power over anything.

youtube

Warning: Swearing.

The video is hilarious. On the one hand it is about an absolutely retarded news story about people who pretend to be liberal and progressive but being regressive arseholes and on the other hand you have a regressive butthole pretending to be progressive (he slips near the end) talking ranting about it. Sprinkled with a helping of supressed rage and making himself feel better: The pot is calling the kettle black. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

IndriaLightfoot! It's been far too long since you paid us a visit.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Heh! I'm still reeling and have been recuperating after the sucky blow to the D&D CRPG toolset dreamscape that SCL meant. How could they? WotC was apparently working closely with the devs (What happened?), who seemed capable of creating quite a decent SP campaign, but not making a D&D system D&D, and then the toolset and D&D creativity...

*Crickets*

...was made for 8-year-olds who hate reading, at the CEO's overt delight, at that.

*Insert Captain Picard meme of your choice*

And then I've been working and living and playing computer games and all that jazz! :yes:

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I don't see them as a problem. Anyone willing to fight for social justice is ok with me. However (BIG however) it really depends on the definition of social justice, yes?

Yes it does have different campaigns and SJ will differ depending where you live

I live in South Africa so my commitment and view of SJ will be different to someone living in Finland  

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't see them as a problem. Anyone willing to fight for social justice is ok with me. However (BIG however) it really depends on the definition of social justice, yes?

Yes it does have different campaigns and SJ will differ depending where you live

I live in South Africa so my commitment and view of SJ will be different to someone living in Finland

I've never been to Finland, or South Africa for that matter. Have you ever been to the US?

• Like 1

I've never been to Finland, or South Africa for that matter. Have you ever been to the US?

Yes :)

Several times, we use to go   once a year to a partner symposium in Vegas 

The USA is the most amazing country, people outside the USA misunderstood it and tend to assume all Americans are the same 

Who you voting for ...please tell me Hilary?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why would you want to vote for someone who laughs at rape victims?

Volo its fine to say that when its just us but when there is a new person on the forums a comment like that is.......odd and not really relevant to Hilary supporters 

John Milton 

How is it odd? And, how is not relevant. Hilary Clinton  laughs at rape victims. That is a fact. I thought SJW nazis were supposed to be  supportive of women?  I'm no SJW but I would NEVER laugh at a rape victim. How cna you support someone like that?

btw,. This goes back to my original post in this thread. SJW nazis are so disconnected from what they pretend to stand for it is sad and funny.

Claim to be supportive of women's rights yet mock female rape victims is a ok and worthy of a president. I cna't recall one time in history where a  sitting US President was recorded LITERALLY laughing a rape victim. And, she claimed to be a feminist. HAHAHA!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

How is it odd? And, how is not irrelevant. Hilary Clinton  laughs at rape victims. That is a fact. I thought SJW nazis were supposed to be  supportive of women?  I'm no SJW but I would NEVER laugh at a rape victim. How cna you support someone like that?

What link is this again....I doubt what you saying is true?

John Milton 

The USA is the most amazing country, people outside the USA misunderstood it and tend to assume all Americans are the same 

I support Bernie at the moment, but will vote for whoever runs against Trump.

• Like 1

How is it odd? And, how is not irrelevant. Hilary Clinton  laughs at rape victims. That is a fact. I thought SJW nazis were supposed to be  supportive of women?  I'm no SJW but I would NEVER laugh at a rape victim. How cna you support someone like that?

What link is this again....I doubt what you saying is true?

I would also like the link Volo. I seriously doubt Hillary did that.

Ah yes, Bernie has got several supporters on this forum

But Bernie will throw his weight and get his supporters to vote for Hilary once the Democrat race is over...anything but 4 years of Trump 

• Like 1

John Milton 

To me SJWs have two defining traits:

Funny. Those two can apply to anyone. I'm thinking they fit the leaders and supporters of the current ruling party here, a conservative party, especially well. They however don't get called names -and rarely are accused of hypocrisy even- because, being right-wing, they hold the moral high ground by default. Remember: wearing a tie makes you respectable.

There hasn't been a conscious, directed effort by the left to ridicule and discredit the right by reducing and identifying the whole of it with the most strident and caricaturesque of "right-wing" figures. However, anyone on the political left is subject to be automatically disqualified by being tagged a 'sjw', provided they mention any of a -growing- list of taboo topics.

This is nothing new really, used to be that you'd be called a commie or a pinko and instantly pegged as an undesirable -- this is just the internet age equivalent. Anyone interested in understanding how the aforementioned effort works can check out Owen Jones' Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class. Or not ("he just wants you to buy his book, he has an agenda" etc).

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Why would you want to vote for someone who laughs at rape victims?

Volo its fine to say that when its just us but when there is a new person on the forums a comment like that is.......odd and not really relevant to Hilary supporters

That is ok Bruce. In a forum titled Way Off Topic I would expect it to be an open discussion. I just can't believe Hillary would do such a thing. I imagine it wa either taken out of context or something someone edited to discredit her.

Switching topics a bit, I was born in Paris but left when I was three and consider Calif to be home. Other than the years in Paris, I have never been out of Southern Calif.

I have chatted with a lot of people from all around the globe and many feel Americans are all self absorbed bullies. Not true of course, maybe it was in the past, but with world wide news and communications happening everywhere, we are moving toward a World Centric Society, even in the States lol.

Ah yes, Bernie has got several supporters on this forum

But Bernie will throw his weight and get his supporters to vote for Hilary once the Democrat race is over...anything but 4 years of Trump

Well I hope it is Hillary throwing her support to Bernie :) however whichever gets nominated will get the support of the other. As for 4 years of Trump, do you think this country would survive for that long under Trump? (Snippy snide grin)

• Like 1