Defining Social Justice Warrior

Hurlshort

A couple years ago the term SJW started to become a popular label, and I remember asking what makes an SJW.  I tried to go back and find that thread, but there seems to be hundreds of threads that have talked about SJW's since then.  I mean, there was this thread, but it didn't seem to really answer any questions, just show zany stuff on the interwebs.  Plus, labels tend to change over time, so I am curious if the definition has changed in the current climate.

So what is a Social Justice Warrior?

What actions would you need to take to earn such a label?

Have they affected this forum?  Obsidian Entertainment?

Do you see them as a problem?  What is the solution?

• Like 2

A couple years ago the term SJW started to become a popular label, and I remember asking what makes an SJW.  I tried to go back and find that thread, but there seems to be hundreds of threads that have talked about SJW's since then.  I mean, there was this thread, but it didn't seem to really answer any questions, just show zany stuff on the interwebs.  Plus, labels tend to change over time, so I am curious if the definition has changed in the current climate.

So what is a Social Justice Warrior?

Have they affected this forum?  Obsidian Entertainment?

Do you see them as a problem?  What is the solution?

This is going to be one of the most entertaining threads I have ever seen....well played Hurlshot   :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

SJW Nazis don't believe in freedom, equality, or truth.  They pretend that only the 'groups' they are 'fighting' for have issues and shut down  anyone who dares claim opposite completely ignoring any facts.  They are at the point that even if a member of a group they are pretending to fight for disagrees with them that person is full of self hatred, is delusional, and needs to be told what is good for them up to including threats of rape, murder, and getting them fired for daring to disagree with the party line. :)

They are a problem. The solution is the final solution of laughing at the moroncy and letting true freedom reign as they loathe freedom.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

SJW Nazis don't believe in freedom, equality, or truth.  They pretend that only the 'groups' they are 'fighting' for have issues and shut down  anyone who dares claim opposite completely ignoring any facts.  They are at the point that even if a member of a group they are pretending to fight for disagrees with them that person is full of self hatred, is delusional, and needs to be told what is good for them up to including threats of rape, murder, and getting them fired for daring to disagree with the party line. :)

They are a problem. The solution is the final solution of laughing at the moroncy and letting true freedom reign as they loathe freedom.

And who would you say is a SJW in your opinion on these forums?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce, can you just let people respond instead of hijacking the thread?  Thanks.

I'm asking him a relevant question because I thought you wanted to know more about what defines a SJW....and this could be several of us

Sorry I dont see  how this hijacking the thread?

John Milton 

You are trying to turn it into a personal discussion instead of a general one.  I asked very general questions, and Volourn was kind enough to answer them without going after specific people.  It would be great if others could do the same.  I am sure it a page or two it will devolve into the standard arguing style of the forums, no need to rush it.  

You are trying to turn it into a personal discussion instead of a general one.  I asked very general questions, and Volourn was kind enough to answer them without going after specific people.  It would be great if others could do the same.  I am sure it a page or two it will devolve into the standard arguing style of the forums, no need to rush it.  

Sure, no problem :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Actually I disagree with my esteemed colleague Volourn. SJWs do believe in equality. The believe in enforced equality. They believe in the kind of equality that can only come at gunpoint. What they do not believe in is merit. Take the grasshopper & ant example. It is of small import to the SJW that the ants worked hard for what they had and the grasshopper did not work at all. They see ants having something and the grasshopper having nothing so it is only fair to take half of the ants labor and give it to the grasshopper. That is equality as they define it.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Basically anything that doesn't jibe with whatever the stance of the alt-right is on the subject at hand.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Bruce, can you just let people respond instead of hijacking the thread?  Thanks.

When you find you have to say such things, you are very probably talking to a social justice warrior.

Considering he politely backed off once I explained myself, I have a hard time believing that.  If it were true, it would seem to be a rather simple solution to the problem.

To me SJWs have two defining traits:

1. "It's okay when we do it." & "No bad tactics just bad targets." 

Essentially this means they can do whatever they want. Lie, harass, bully, send threats, physically assault, etc, because they are doing it for the right reasons, just reasons. SJWs can condemn people for doing the very things SWJs are doing themselves and see nothing wrong with it.

Example.

2. Instead of actually helping others they just help themselves to feel better.

Fighting against non-issues, like "manspreading" or "microaggressions". Putting up trigger warnings. Liking posts on facebook or twitter. They do these things, and think they are actually doing something worthwhile and changing the world. But only thing they are doing is to make themselves feel better about themselves instead of actually doing anything that would help anyone anywhere.

Example.

Buildbot: $15,000. Buildbot is a continuous build and integration system which has been immensely valuable to Mozilla over the past few years. Their award will be used to remove the term “slave” from all documentation, APIs and tests, and also to make improvements so Buildbot works better in the Amazon EC2 cloud.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

To me?

An overzealous progressive individual that has developed such a warped view of progressive ideals so that the progressive stances themselves are less so about bringing about meaningful change or progress, and more about showcasing an opportunity for the speaker to be a self-indulgent, pretentious little **** that wishes to lord their perceived superiority over others.

15 years ago it was trendy to like Nsync. Today? Today it's trendy to be Martin Luther King Jr. In some ways I suppose that's progress, the problem being that you end up with all these self-indulgent little nitwits that are less focused on actually bringing about change and progress and more focused on their little fantasy world where the president invites them to speak in front of the nation on -INSERT PROGRESSIVE SUBJECT HERE- and then 50 years from now everyone looks back on how amazing and impressive they were and blah blah blah....it's like teenagers. As a teen I wondered why adults frown upon teens and I was curious to see what makes us different since technically adults and teens both have adult, matured minds. Now I know the difference: adults share info for the sake of sharing info and knowledge with one another so we can all grow as people, teens share info as a chance to lord their perceived superiority over others; it's not "you don't know the constitutional laws? Ok let me teach you," it's "Pffft...you don't know the constitutional laws...? lol...omg." That same difference in mindset is exactly the problem with SJWs and exactly why they're a blight on anyone even remotely interested in any actual progress.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C.S Lewis on moral tyranny. He was actually talking about religious zealotry here but zealotry in the cause of Social Justice is every bit as bad IMO.

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1. So what is a Social Justice Warrior?

2. What actions would you need to take to earn such a label?

3. Have they affected this forum?  Obsidian Entertainment?

4. Do you see them as a problem?  5. What is the solution?

1. The SJW is the result of identity politics and the lack of focus on material circumstance fused with the forum warrior spreading to other social media, addicted to outrage and "feel good" initiatives that don't do anything. We can see their mirror in the alt-right who are SJWs with flipped nouns and their roots in the "moral majority" who wave anti-abortion signs and other ineffective stunts to placate their moral view.

2. It depends on who is calling it. I use it to describe internet activists whose efforts extend to yelling on social media or feel good petitions.

3. A few came in with PoE, although they stay out of WoT, so yes. Aside from removing a certain backer poem they haven't really affected Obsidian games though.

4. For me as a leftist they have been a major problem. Most left organizations on my campus and area have been colonized to the point wanting to talk about class issues(IE material reality) gets one branded a "class-reductionist" or "workerist". While I can certainly take name calling, it's difficult to convince people who otherwise agree with me to embrace certain things when they associate it with screeching harpies from upper class families who will be liberals in five years.

5. For me spreading anti-idpol ideals is a short-term strategy to establish an alternative view with the goal of eventually starting a coalition of anti-idpol organizations who share this view or reclaiming currently idpol infested organizations like the IWW.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

^That quote by Lewis is quite succinct on the matter.

The SJWs are the products of post-modern thinking, such as subjectivism and structuralism. They seek out old "structures" everywhere, deem them "toxic" or "problematic", and only wants to change them for "the better". The end result is a "safe space" where they can be at peace where no one can question them. They claim to be about equality, but are really strongly hierarchical and will attack anyone going against the self-proclaimed leadership. They produce nothing and are total failures at life, they cannot form healthy relationships or families. They are a cancer to the soul and to everything that is beautiful or meaningful in the human experience. In the end, they will destroy each other in a frenzy to reach ideological purity. 

"cuck" is a man who lets his wife or significant other to sleep with others. The word is derived from "cuckhold", which happens in nature. The cuckoo bird lays its eggs in the nest of other species of birds who then feeds and raises them. It is meant to point out a man is such a failure at sexually pleasing his wife that his self-hatred of such drives him into allowing her, or directly helping her sleeping with others. 

It exploded when /pol/ memed "cuckservative" into existence. This describes conservatives who claim to have the average people in the US in the their best interests but are actively helping other nations or groups of people instead. Like someone taking Israels interests more than the US, or someone claiming to be for american workers while signing laws that greatly expands immigration. It is meant to be demeaning at the their manhood and sense of self-dignity. The obvious butthurt for being claimed as such shows that it bears merit and society is filled with weak men without any real convictions.

But it seems to be more broad by the day, so i guess that it will replace "****" in the near future. 

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

4. For me as a leftist they have been a major problem. Most left organizations on my campus and area have been colonized to the point wanting to talk about class issues(IE material reality) gets one branded a "class-reductionist" or "workerist". While I can certainly take name calling, it's difficult to convince people who otherwise agree with me to embrace certain things when they associate it with screeching harpies from upper class families who will be liberals in five years.

****ing hell, it's worse than i thought.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Actually if society were really filled with weak men I'd be happy. I'll be running this place in no time!  :lol:

Thomas Sowell

At best they are the 'feel good' internet slacktivists who unfortunately can do real damage. Multiple people who lost their jobs over non-issues like innocent jokes come to mind. See: Tim Hunt.

At worst they are a communist cult.

"Basically anything that doesn't jibe with whatever the stance of the alt-right is on the subject at hand."

What the heck is the 'alt-right'? Alternative right? What does that even mean? L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Basically anything that doesn't jibe with whatever the stance of the alt-right is on the subject at hand."

What the heck is the 'alt-right'? Alternative right? What does that even mean? L0L

They're Nazi SJW Nazis.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands