Dawn of War III

no sync kills no DoW3 for me...

Certainly is disappointing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My guess is that this was due to balance considerations. For instance in Dawn of War 2, your hero could be doing an awesome sync kill... unable to retreat and giving your opponent's Hormagaunts more than enough time to surround him and take him down.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

My guess is that this was due to balance considerations. For instance in Dawn of War 2, your hero could be doing an awesome sync kill... unable to retreat and giving your opponent's Hormagaunts more than enough time to surround him and take him down.

While this is quite likely correct, it shows a fundamental difference in how DoW 1, 2 and 3 are approached. The two original games didn't actually concern themselves with balance and competitive play that much - sure, these aspects were hardly ignored and a lot of resources were invested into at least sort of, kind of balancing the races so that multiplayer remains entertaining, but entertainment was always the main concern.

As I see it, Dawn of War 1 and 2 wanted to portray two slightly different aspects of conflict in Warhammer 40k universe, and they wanted to do so with with style fitting WH40k. They were games which brought this universe alive, and focused on details which throw off balance but add in substance and differentiate DOW games from your usual "Units dat stand in front of each other and shoot until one of them falls over" - this attention to detail and utter disregard to esports was why I always preferred my Dawn of War games to ... Majority of RTS really, including both StarCraft games which always felt incredibly sterile to me. Well, lo and behold, Dawn of War 3 now feels rather sterile from trailers.

On the other hand, let's be fair - Dawn of War 2 was a very different game from Dawn of War 1 and I enjoyed both. I won't condemn the game before it's released. But thus far, watching a gameplay video from DoW 1 or 2 still feels fresh, the games feel very ... Relic-like as Relic have always been kings in making thematically strong RTS games. Gameplay vids from Dawn of War 3 feel like watching Generic Rts no. 106 with cool unit designs. And even if it is good - let's just say StarCraft 2 is also considered good and it bores me to tears.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

While this is quite likely correct, it shows a fundamental difference in how DoW 1, 2 and 3 are approached. The two original games didn't actually concern themselves with balance and competitive play that much - sure, these aspects were hardly ignored and a lot of resources were invested into at least sort of, kind of balancing the races so that multiplayer remains entertaining, but entertainment was always the main concern.

As I see it, Dawn of War 1 and 2 wanted to portray two slightly different aspects of conflict in Warhammer 40k universe, and they wanted to do so with with style fitting WH40k. They were games which brought this universe alive, and focused on details which throw off balance but add in substance and differentiate DOW games from your usual "Units dat stand in front of each other and shoot until one of them falls over" - this attention to detail and utter disregard to esports was why I always preferred my Dawn of War games to ... Majority of RTS really, including both StarCraft games which always felt incredibly sterile to me. Well, lo and behold, Dawn of War 3 now feels rather sterile from trailers.

On the other hand, let's be fair - Dawn of War 2 was a very different game from Dawn of War 1 and I enjoyed both. I won't condemn the game before it's released. But thus far, watching a gameplay video from DoW 1 or 2 still feels fresh, the games feel very ... Relic-like as Relic have always been kings in making thematically strong RTS games. Gameplay vids from Dawn of War 3 feel like watching Generic Rts no. 106 with cool unit designs. And even if it is good - let's just say StarCraft 2 is also considered good and it bores me to tears.

Agreed.

Even if its good, it can never compete with Starcraft 2. From the day WoW was released till now, there has never been a WoW killer. Same goes for Starcraft 2, never was an RTS that could be the Starcraft 2 killer. And again with DOTA 2, despite coming in late into the market(behind LoL, HoN etc), it is still massively more successful than other MOBAs out there, there never was a DOTA2 killer. DoWIII can attempt to take a bite out of the RTS pie, but in the end it'll just be wishful thinking. At best they'll end up having a very small multiplayer community like in DoWII, maybe slightly bigger. At worst, the game will be dead in 1 or 2 years turning into a cult classic where people only play heavily modded versions. It has been proven time and again across all genres.

• Like 1

I still don't quite understand what on Earth would possess Relic to abandon what they were the absolute number 1 on the market and try to compete with a company like Blizzard. That is, of course, assuming they're trying to develop a StarCraft 2 killer - maybe Dawn of War 3 will just be ... Well, bad.