Thought it would be a neat idea to get the stories of the worst luck that you have had so far in pathfinder adventures.

For me, first time playing adventure path 2-1. Think it was the villan where if you defeat them, on a roll of a 1 or 2, you have to redo the check again with the previously played cards not counting towards the new check. The person encountering the villan was Kyra and they were alone at the location.

First roll, use a spell and beat the check of 15 (iirc) quite nicely, then a roll a 1. Disbelief sets in.

Second roll, use a mace and another blessing and make the check again, then i roll a 1. Anger starts to appear.

Third roll, using only a mace (no more blessings at this point, and no other abilities / cards to help out kyra), somehow make the check, then i roll a 1. Anger starts to eat away.

Fourth roll, using only a mace, just make the check, then i roll  a 1. Anger is boiling over.

Fifth roll, using only a mace, make the check again, then i roll a 1. I hard close the app at this point.

Anyone else experienced a run of bad luck as bad as this.

Edited by hassifa
  • Like 1

Honestly, I have a strong suspicion that the dice are rigged in some instances to be "more dramatic". That specific boss from 2-1... I've encountered him a lot and the first 2 rolls are *always* 1-or-2 (reroll). Usually a 1.

I've also seen the 5-1s-in-a-row in my game. Fortunately some of those 1s were when I didn't make the check.

Edit: perhaps he was implemented rigged for playtesting purposes and they've not fixed his dice to normal again *tin-foil-hat*

Edited by trashcondor
  • Like 1

I don't think they skewed the dice, but I do think that boss can be a pain.  Not as bad as the undead chick Lesha Foxglove, I will own.  I detest her.  Basically, she is impervious to most folks without the extreme use of blessings and other resources and even then you will virtually never have the magic trait in your roll.  I have ONCE had the magic trait in my roll, and that was with Kyra.  Still, while I have railed against bad rolls at the time, I know they're simply part of any game.  Still torques me when I get a bunch of bum rolls in a row, though.

I think I should also mention my bad-luck story: on my first playthrough I solo-played Sajan (cause monks are awesome) - and Sajan is pretty self-sufficient and a good candidate for a party of 1. Things went pretty smoothly until I got to scenario 1-5 (Thistletop dungeon); that scenario seems tailor-made to make Sajan suffer. The end-boss Nualia does 1d4 damage that is hard to mitigate for a monk (who at that stage only has a 4-card hand), and the two combat checks are tough and get tougher for every blessing used (which is exactly what monks do).

So... my instance(s) of bad luck: I've tried beating Nualia more than three-dozen times, failing several times by a final roll of 1 or 2. But one specific play stands out in my mind because it started with excellent luck: Sajan encountered henchmen and closed 2 of the 3 locations in 4 turns; then promptly ran into Nualia, lost to her by a roll of 2. Then by turn 10 ran into Nualia again and lost to her again by a roll of 1. And then Sajan was dead.

I don't think they skewed the dice, but I do think that boss can be a pain.  Not as bad as the undead chick Lesha Foxglove, I will own.  I detest her.  Basically, she is impervious to most folks without the extreme use of blessings and other resources and even then you will virtually never have the magic trait in your roll.  I have ONCE had the magic trait in my roll, and that was with Kyra.  Still, while I have railed against bad rolls at the time, I know they're simply part of any game.  Still torques me when I get a bunch of bum rolls in a row, though.

Iesha Foxglove. I'm fairly sure I've auto-defeated her using the Crown of Charisma - at least she didn't come up again in the scenario.

I think I should also mention my bad-luck story: on my first playthrough I solo-played Sajan (cause monks are awesome) - and Sajan is pretty self-sufficient and a good candidate for a party of 1. Things went pretty smoothly until I got to scenario 1-5 (Thistletop dungeon); that scenario seems tailor-made to make Sajan suffer. The end-boss Nualia does 1d4 damage that is hard to mitigate for a monk (who at that stage only has a 4-card hand), and the two combat checks are tough and get tougher for every blessing used (which is exactly what monks do).

So... my instance(s) of bad luck: I've tried beating Nualia more than three-dozen times, failing several times by a final roll of 1 or 2. But one specific play stands out in my mind because it started with excellent luck: Sajan encountered henchmen and closed 2 of the 3 locations in 4 turns; then promptly ran into Nualia, lost to her by a roll of 2. Then by turn 10 ran into Nualia again and lost to her again by a roll of 1. And then Sajan was dead.

I'm currently having an amazing streak of bad luck in that very scenario on my Lem Challenge (solo Lem on Legendary) run. I'll post my highlights once I've actually beaten it, as there might be a few more amazingly bad rolls coming my way until then. I can just feel it.

I too suspect that the number generator is somewhat 'unrandom'.  The number of times I get clusters of 1-1-2-1-1 or 10-10-9-10-10 sort of rolls is just astronomically high compared to the number of times I roll 1-10-4-7-5 for example.  I honestly can't think of many times that I roll anywhere near the average of any multiple dice roll.  And that makes me incredibly suspicious.

And yes, those 'roll a 1 for something bad to happen' are happening a little over 50% of the time for me.  After eight rolls.  Now, I see where we can go with 'random chance' but this is starting to sound a little bit less than I would hope.

I can only say that Fate Points (a la WHFRP) is a necessary inclusion in this game for it to be less than a 'ha ha, you just got screwed over - please restart' sort of arrangement.

Gah, ran into the same boss the OP mentions. Beat him twice without incidence, but he wasn't cornered. Then I think blew an easy roll to temp close, and his re-do the encounter ability kicked in twice. I think the third time I lost to him. Two locations left, but couldn't find him fast enough.

As I posted over on BGG, back during the early stages of working through the current adventures my Kyra rolled fifteen consecutive die-white-1.gifs when casting Cure.

I became justifiably suspicious. :ninja:

Edited by Feywood

Personally this card always irritated me more than cards like Iesha Foxglove. I'd much rather face something difficult or that requires using specific strategy like looking ahead to find her location and having Kyra ready to handle the encounter vs just complete randomness that can cost me the game no matter how well prepared.

I can promise you, sadly, that outside of the Tutorial there is no skewing of the dice.

I constantly have to ask code if they are SURE there is not dramatic effect skew. There is not. The dice like to take out your knees, kick you while you are down and then stomp on your head.

But hey here is that Shortsword you so desperately needed. It'll give you that roll.... -____-

• Like 3

Since there's no perma-death there are no consequences! Everything is easy!

The worst luck I've ever had was being Lini. Very often 3 dice is not enough for lini and she manages to fail very easy checks.

Never understood the Lini hate. Free d4+? To literally every roll she ever makes? Plus she can get blessings and other bonuses just like every other character. I think she might be the strongest overall character in the game. Sure, other characters have better combat rolls, but she gets a bonus on everything!

• Like 1

Way back years ago when we first started creating this game I had only implemented a small handful of cards. Of course we were playing with full location decks so every location featured the same cards. One of the only barrier cards that we had was Skeleton Horde. During testing, I had to fight so many of those foul things. I still hate encountering that evil card today!

• Like 2

Way back years ago when we first started creating this game I had only implemented a small handful of cards. Of course we were playing with full location decks so every location featured the same cards. One of the only barrier cards that we had was Skeleton Horde. During testing, I had to fight so many of those foul things. I still hate encountering that evil card today!

For a brief while the Heroic Power at Blackfang's Dungeon was:

When you encounter a monster with the Undead trait, each character must summon and encounter an Ancient Skeleton Henchman.

Let me tell you there are a LOT of monsters in deck B that have the Undead trait. Turning each one into a Skeleton Horde wore your party down real quick.

If I remember correctly, one time through the power of Ranzak and luck, we won an entire scenario... before I had my turn. (Alternately, I had one turn, and it was something horrible like failing to acquire something and then having no way to explore again. Barely a turn at all.)

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, one time through the power of Ranzak and luck, we won an entire scenario... before I had my turn. (Alternately, I had one turn, and it was something horrible like failing to acquire something and then having no way to explore again. Barely a turn at all.)

RANZAK!

• Like 1

RANZAK!

Rudezak

• Like 3