Hi,

so I completed my first run on PotD with the following party:

• MC Paladin Tank
  • Durance Ranged/Off-Tank
  • Aloth Ranged
  • Sagani Ranged
  • Min-Max Ranged Cipher
  • Min-Max Ranged Rogue

Now I have difficulty to motivate myself for another run with the same party (all custom companions, triple crown 1st time). I know that the party above is pretty powergame-oriented. But would it be viable to play PotD with the classes I previously never played?

• Fighter
  • Monk
  • Barbarian
  • Chanter
  • ? (Druid?)
  • ?

What are your thoughts? Any recommendations? Which class for the two open slots? I see all these well-crafted builds here and am just unsure whether they have the synergies needed for PotD, e.g. charming mobs with cipher and aoe heal from chanter seem contrary.

Please convince me to try something new :) - what are your experiences?

Edited by Lleorq

You could potentially make a super melee heavy party with the current 4 you have. With the Chanter's fire enchantment you can probably get some pretty impressive numbers from all characters, even better with a melee team you'll be grouped together so everyone will be nicely in ranged. Toss in a Paladin with their auras and a melee Cipher with Defensive Mindweb and Antipathetic Field and you're pretty much set for murderin'.

As for the classes you're considering, Chanters are very flexible. You can make them a ranged or melee damage dealer, and they can be setup as very decent tanks too. Most of their power comes from the Chants rather than the Invocations. Their damage over time chants are an excellent source of AoE damage plus the added damage from buffs like their reload speed boosting one or the fire enchanting one I mentioned are very welcomed. The Invocations aren't too shabby either as they're decent sources of buffs and CC.

Barbarians are fairly decent as both a CC and a damage dealer. They're heavily dependent on equipment however, moreso than any other class. With the right gear though, they can be build as a strong CC with certain weapons and good Interruption score, or as a pure AoE damage dealer.

My experiences with Monks and Fighters though is very limited at the moment. I haven't used Fighters since the game was first released, back then I only used them as damage sponges, so I have no idea how well they perform as damage dealers. Monks have been doomed in my playthroughs since I usually end up using them in runs where I usually end up stopping halfway. They make decent tanks though, and their damage dealing abilities are pretty good, but I don't have enough knowledge on them to elaborate.

I've played them all and nearly everything is viable - even on PoTD. Melee only parties are hard. Parties without buffs are even harder. Parties without strong CC are hardest. The most gruesome playthrough I had with 6 rogues. Genreally speaking: the more casters the easier. If you can combine sturdyness, buffing and cc you will have the easiest playthrough (but not necessarily the fastest).

If I take your list and add my experiences:

Fighter: Solid choice - very sturdy. If build around Constant Recovery you can even have a very good single target dps guy who is still very sturdy. Just watch your health bar. Damage is good, CC is quite weak, sturdiness is awesome.

Best ability (in my opiniopn): Armored Grace (lets you combine speed and DR)

Monk: This class is just awesome. Best starting stats in the game. Unbelieveable AoE damage with dual wielding & Torment's Reach - or very tanky if you want. Even a great ranged char nowadays with The Long Pain. Also one of the best single target CC guy with Force of Anguish - or even AoE CC with a stunning or overbearing weapon & Torment's Reach.

Damage is awesome, CC is good, sturdiness is good.

Best ability: Torment's Reach (AoE Full Attack which also works with on-crit effects)

Barbarian: I love them. It's all about carnage. Can be AoE dps, AoE CC (esp. interrupts), can even be a good dps/tank hybrid with the right equipment

Best ability: Frenzy (*1.33 speed is awesome)

Damage can be awesome, CC can be awesome, can be sturdy (it all depends on equipment though). Good against mobs, not so great against strong single foes.

Chanter: Very good in "slow" parties, meaning sturdy guys, few glass cannons(=longer fights but less risks). If skilled around "The Dragon Thrashed" the best AoE dps gus there is. The usefulness of chanters raises exponentially if you have more than one (dps chants stack, AoE regeneration also). One of the most powerful classes in the late game.

Dps can be awesome, CC can be great (but timing is difficult), can be sturdy

Best ability: The Dragon Thrashed

Druid: Absurd single target dps with Spiritshift, but also very useful CC tank with weapon & shield and focus on the storm spells. Great Class 

Dps can be great, CC is top, can be build very sturdy without loosing much CC capability. With Spiritshift great against single targets, as CC tanks great against mobs

Best ability: (Relentless Storm)

I managed to squeeze at least two great builds out of every class. But with some classes it's just easier to come up with different kinds of buils that work and are fun to play.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I agree with Boeroer that Druid would be the most logical pick for your party. It will help with AOE damage, healing, and CC all of which you could use.

I personally would pick something ranged for your other open slot. I find the AI pathing frustrating when there are too many melee characters.

Edited by Stasis_Sword

I'd go with Priest and Druid. You've got 4 melee so you're going to want lots of heals over time and buffs, and the Druid can handle CC well enough - a Wizard is better CC but in your party I think Druid fits better. I picked Druid over Wizard for my own melee heavy party which was Paladin/Monk/Barbarian/Chanter/Druid/Priest.

TBH I'm not having a great time of it though, since too often, you can use a chokepoint and you'd be better off with only 2-3 melee rather than 4-5. And vs. most tough fights casters are just better. That said, it is nice not having to rest as much. It's weird how something as minor and inconsequential as resting more often can be such a nuisance to me but I can't help but worry about conserving my spells per rest.

I think that's true. But they make up for that with a great combination of sturdyness, heals and buffs. Rogue for example has CC attacks, but they are all single target, quite short and most of them don't disable the enemy (Sap is the only exception). Their purpose is to enable Sneak Attacks and that's it mostly. However, with a decent mechanics skill he can make great use of disabling traps - which is often overlooked.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Very definitely a Druid for one of the slots. For the last one, well you had a priest and a paladin in your first party, so if you are looking to have completely new classes in the mix I would go for 2 chanters. Otherwise I'd add a priest.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light