What You Did Today

Tale

Trinidad

Nice, I never knew that about you. All these years ( well 4 years) of chatting  to you and I don't think you have ever mentioned that.  Do you ever go home ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4th day without water and finally they told us what's wrong. the pipes that bring water to town are clogged because of salt (the water around here has high mineral salt content) and they dig them out to clean them. they should be done by tomorrow 

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

4th day without water and finally they told us what's wrong. the pipes that bring water to town are clogged because of salt (the water around here has high mineral salt content) and they dig them out to clean them. they should be done by tomorrow 

I imagine you would have appreciated a heads up.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Just got back from a boozy afternoon drinking session followed by an awesome dinner with friends , I had Veal ...it was scrumptious 

http://www.caraffa.co.za/

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just got back from a boozy afternoon drinking session followed by an awesome dinner with friends , I had Veal ...it was scrumptious 

Do baby cows not matter to you? You monster!!

Seriously though, if you're always taking the high moral ground at the very least try to hide your sins. I mean you're just inviting Volo to bugger you about how horrible you are for eating young animals.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Seriously though, if you're always taking the high moral ground at the very least try to hide your sins. I mean you're just inviting Volo to bugger you about how horrible you are for eating young animals.

Do you think most members on this forum care about the plight of young cows  and or sometimes the cruelness about where Veal comes from   :no:

Talking about eating meat. one of the brothers after being a vegetarian for the last 25 years or so has no decided he is going vegan !!!  I think people who take this extreme step are doing it for attention, also becoming Vegan is  something that only people who have money to waste would do it ...in most third world countries the average citizen cant afford to become vegan

John Milton 

Do you think most members on this forum care about the plight of young cows  and or sometimes the cruelness about where Veal comes from   :no:

Talking about eating meat. one of the brothers after being a vegetarian for the last 25 years or so has no decided he is going vegan !!!  I think people who take this extreme step are doing it for attention, also becoming Vegan is  something that only people who have money to waste would do it ...in most third world countries the average citizen cant afford to become vegan

I now find a chuckle from people going Vegan to avoid damage to animals. In one of the Joe Rogan podcast the subject came up and the argument that they displace a lot of the habitats of wild animals because of these organic farms that are exclusively vegan. Or how there have been experiments that some plants and fungi have sentience.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I now find a chuckle from people going Vegan to avoid damage to animals. In one of the Joe Rogan podcast the subject came up and the argument that they displace a lot of the habitats of wild animals because of these organic farms that are exclusively vegan. Or how there have been experiments that some plants and fungi have sentience.

Yes thats my brothers reason for now becoming vegan....he says its about cruelty to animals?

I want to research more about Joe Rogan because if that is true about the organic farm that is exactly the type of story I love sharing with my brother because he thinks his lifestyle choice is ultimately going to benefit the planet  

John Milton 

I've been down at the river all night fishing for catfish. I caught 4, two of which were large enough to keep. I cleaned and filleted them and breakfast in the morning will be a cheese & tomato (from my garden) omelette with fried green onions (also from the garden) fried catfish, and biscuits with strawberry preserves (which also came from the garden). Now to take a shower and nurse a glass of fine Kentucky sour mash while playing BGEE for a little while. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

well, we won't eat veal or foie gras precisely 'cause o' the lack o' humanity involved in raising and slaughtering o' the animals. all our meats is purchased from a reputable local butcher, but we do not pretend that we know the conditions that exist where all our pork, poultry and beef is raised.  *shrug* am a human who needs at least some meat protein to stay healthy.  also, we like meat.  gotta be some advantages to being at the top o' the food chain, and it ain't as if the animals have any empathy for Gromnir. 

we no longer hunt. as a kid we hunted in large part out of need.  frequent went months when only meat we had were what Gromnir or grandpa could acquire.  however, without need to motivate us, we no longer find personal gratification in dispatching deer, bear, turkey and the like.  *sigh* most common were actual rabbit.  doesn't sound as impressive, eh? somehow managed to never get sick o' fried rabbit. 

made us hungry for buttermilk fried rabbit.

HA! Good Fun! 

ps am an admitted hypocrite regarding the hunting bit as we will happily cook game meats our acquaintances provide.  can't make our bigos w/o venison and wild pig. 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes thats my brothers reason for now becoming vegan....he says its about cruelty to animals?

I want to research more about Joe Rogan because if that is true about the organic farm that is exactly the type of story I love sharing with my brother because he thinks his lifestyle choice is ultimately going to benefit the planet  

Pretty much every major Vegan spokesperson has had to go back to eating some sort of animal products at some point because the human body can't survive long term on only plants. You need to supplement with eggs or something to get essential nutrients. We are omnivores, not herbavores.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ive never actually been hunting. I hate the woods and I'm kinda a Sally when it comes to killing stuff. :lol: Seriously, for some reason I will even take the extra steps to trap and release bees/spiders/wasp that may wander into my house instead of just smashing them. I don't have any ethical problems with hunting, I don't have that mentality in me. But Ill eat the hell out of anything you put in front of me just so long as I don't have to do the "wet work".

I am very much an animal lover. In fact I generally prefer the company of animals to people. The conversation is less tedious I've found.  :lol:

But I've never been reluctant to hunt. But I do have my own code of ethics about it. First off I strictly follow the game and hunting laws. There is a reason we have those: the preservation of the species. Second and biggest of all, I won't do it for pleasure, I will only hunt for the table. And last I won't take a shot unless I know I'll make it and I know it will knock down instantly. For example, white-tail deer: I'd only accept a neck or backbone shot between the head and shoulders. It is the fastest (near instantaneous) and lest painful way. If I don't have it or I'm not 100% certain I'll make it, that deer walks.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

well, we won't eat veal or foie gras precisely 'cause o' the lack o' humanity involved in raising and slaughtering o' the animals. all our meats is purchased from a reputable local butcher, but we do not pretend that we know the conditions that exist where all our pork, poultry and beef is raised.  *shrug* am a human who needs at least some meat protein to stay healthy.  also, we like meat.  gotta be some advantages to being at the top o' the food chain, and it ain't as if the animals have any empathy for Gromnir. 

we no longer hunt. as a kid we hunted in large part out of need.  frequent went months when only meat we had were what Gromnir or grandpa could acquire.  however, without need to motivate us, we no longer find personal gratification in dispatching deer, bear, turkey and the like.  *sigh* most common were actual rabbit.  doesn't sound as impressive, eh? somehow managed to never get sick o' fried rabbit. 

HA! Good Fun! 

ps am an admitted hypocrite regarding the hunting bit as we will happily cook game meats our acquaintances provide.  can't make our bigos w/o venison and wild pig. 

HA! Good Fun! 

Gromnir I appreciate your honesty around this topic, I have  a few questions to ask you because what you posted is similar to what many people I know say about why they don't  eat Veal, normally I wouldn't even raise this with  someone who made similar claims ...but I  am looking forward to your comments as I know they will be based on facts mostly. So for me I see a contradiction in what you say. I am not trying to put you on the spot but I know you can have this debate in  a constructive way  

Okay so you say you won't eat Veal or Foie Gras due to the perceived conditions of how the animals are treated, you probably aware of this but due to the negative public attention much  Veal farming has improved the conditions of how the animals are treated and of course you get Veal that has different ages ...so the reality is most Veal you eat comes from the age of 25-35 weeks, thats a reasonable age to live to I would say ?

Now you admit you dont know where the meat from your local butchery comes from yet you eat it, I dont blame you for this lack of interest in the history of your local  meat...this is normal for most people. Yet you could be eating meat from questionable farmers and that doesn't bother you but you wont eat Veal...and this is from  a historical way the animals are treated. It just seems illogical for you to not eat Veal?

So the point Im making is   " its okay to eat most types of Veal nowadays "..and this comment is based on the new reality of Veal farming?

We are huge hunters in SA, not me personally but I have friends who are hardcore hunters and spend weeks in the bush during hunting season.

John Milton 

as we said, we frequent a local butcher for most all our meat needs.  we ain't done any genuine investigation, but the butcher has given us assurances that his suppliers is reputable. am living in CA and the butcher claims that many o' his customers is greenpeace, wwf, birkenstock shod hippies and the issue o' humane conditions o' the animals is common enough that he had to take an interest.  

veal crates are still used in the united states.  average life span is 12-23 weeks... in a 30"x70" crate. the calves is fed a low iron faux milk substitute that is purposeful rendering the animals anemic to be keeping their flesh pale. there is a recommendation by american veal producer association to phase out crates by 2017.  is a recommendation, and compliance is voluntary.  we do not know how all our meat products is handled before slaughter, but we do know that calves meant to be veal is still frequent subject to horrific treatment. given that such practices is still common, why on earth would Gromnir support the veal industry?  

the ducks (or geese) that become foie gras gets equal barbaric treatment.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0128-friedrich-foie-gras-california-20150127-story.html

we don't know about most o' our meat, but we is certain 'bout foie gras, and we got much reason to be suspicious o' any veal that comes our way. much like guard dog, when we did hunt for our own food, we were as humane as possible. we were taught to respect those animals we hunted.  to knowingly purchase meat that were procured through cruelty would be antithetical to everything we were taught. 

am gonna continue avoiding foie gras and veal.

HA! Good Fun!

ps peta is not our first choice for factual info as they can skew a bit to make a point, but the following foie gras link is perhaps useful

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/factory-farming/ducks-geese/foie-gras/

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

in my case i get top quality organic veal at a lower price than standard commercial veal because i buy the meat directly from the farmer. and how do i know it's organic? it's the perk of living in a rural area and being able to see the "soon to be food calf" grazing along it's cow mom in a field. this farmer has only a few cows and so when he has a calf to butcher he calls the people he knows and gathers orders for what part of it everyone wants and how many pieces and then cuts it up and delivers it. he makes more than selling the calf to the "professionals" and we can get good meat at almost half the price we would buy it in a shop.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

We do actually do some research into the farms and companies we buy from. We usually end up paying more but it's worth it to us to try to stay away from factory farms and the like. We're pretty fortunate because luckily for us it's pretty easy to do here in the Denver area as there is a large culture around it. Obviously, we aren't 100% dedicated to it because we eat out a fair bit but almost everything we cook at home is vetted

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Same. Well used to. Not sure what the company running our local store is up to but they no longer buy from the farm that the company is named for.

Grocery shopping today. Stuck behind meandering old people or couples. Joy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

as we said, we frequent a local butcher for most all our meat needs.  we ain't done any genuine investigation, but the butcher has given us assurances that his suppliers is reputable. am living in CA and the butcher claims that enough o' his customers is greenpeace, wwf, birkenstock shod hippies that the issue o' humane conditions o' the animals is common enough that he had to take an interest.  

veal crates are still used in the united states.  average life span is 12-23 weeks... in a 30"x70" crate. the calves is fed a low iron faux milk substitute that is purposeful rendering the animals anemic to be keeping their flesh pale. there is a recommendation by american veal producer association to phase out crates by 2017.  is a recommendation, and compliance is voluntary.  we do not know how all our meat products is treated before slaughter, but we do know that calves meant to be veal is still frequent subject to horrific treatment. given that such practices is still common, why on earth would Gromnir support the veal industry?  

the ducks (or geese) that become foie gras gets equal barbaric treatment.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0128-friedrich-foie-gras-california-20150127-story.html

we don't know about most o' our meat, but we is certain 'bout foie gras, and we got much reason to be suspicious o' any veal that comes our way. much like guard dog, when we did hunt for our own food, we were as humane as possible. we were taught to respect those animals we hunted.  to knowingly purchase meat that were procured through cruelty would be antithetical to everything we were taught. 

am gonna continue avoiding foie gras and veal.

HA! Good Fun!

I consider you one of the most logical people I   have ever met on the Internet, you are such a formidable person to debate with because you typically debate from a  position of facts which is shaped by your own life experiences, this makes most of your debating views irrefutable IMO and I find many  people on  forums debate from emotions which at times frustrate me as I  debate  normally from facts. So I only raised this Veal question because it seemed you were making a  decision about Veal which was based on emotion....but you have explained what you mean and I understand your point even if I have different view 

From my side I consider myself a gastronome, I eat at restaurants fairly regularly and I am huge watcher of the various cooking channels. I also try to eat everything that  some people would consider  " exotic ". I am a  true supporter of classic European culinary themes...and this includes French

This is why I always try to order food like Veal and the unctuous and delicious Foie Gras when available. I agree that how the ducks get treated is cruel but I wont let that dissuade me from eating it as it is an established part of French food and I cant embrace the good and ignore the bad in French gastronomy

And finally, and I think the most relevant,  is you have that understandable view around " wingly purchase meat that were procured through cruelty would be antithetical " ..I admire this form of empathy but its not something that is  relevant to me as I dont have the background to understand what this means in practical terms, and I dont mean about obvious things like "we dont eat dolphins " 

John Milton 

I would love to get to the point where I produce almost all my own food right here on my own land either through farm or forage. That's a tall order for one man with a job and hobbies other than farming and forage. 

Plus nutritious dog food would be exceedingly difficult to make yourself. But I COULD easily produce my own booze if I wanted to. Not that I am but I could. I have corn, I have running water, I have an advanced education that included chemistry, I can buy yeast in bulk, and I have total privacy. 

But I'm also invested in a liquor company so... no point in competing with myself. Plus it's still against the law if you can believe that!

Thomas Sowell

Yesterday I went to a "nostalgia meet" with my father, was nice, saw a few really awesome old cars, a DeSoto business coupe, and quite a few old american cars. The music was being played way too loud though, but was fun ogling cute girls dancing.

Went fishing with a friend from work today, we got started later than we wanted, but went on to catch a few good ones. We did catch alot of common roach that we used as bait for pike and perch. Caught two pike, roughly 2 kilos on the first one and 2.5 on the second one. We had two pike that managed to get away, but they also might have been the same ones we caught. We managed to hook one perch that we took for eating later.

Nice couple of days to get some energy for the coming week, with extra long workdays, and I have one hell of a sunburn. :D

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Whelp... My next few weeks are going to be INSANE in the membrane.

I've been moved back to Ames for work, But the other person who worked with me turned in her two weeks. Yesterday was her last day. 

So now I'm the only person to run this place from 730 to 530 m-f and 9-12 on saturday. Plus anything extra to ensure I'm ready for the next day.

This is going to be unique.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Whelp... My next few weeks are going to be INSANE in the membrane.

I've been moved back to Ames for work, But the other person who worked with me turned in her two weeks. Yesterday was her last day. 

So now I'm the only person to run this place from 730 to 530 m-f and 9-12 on saturday. Plus anything extra to ensure I'm ready for the next day.

This is going to be unique.

You have all my sympathies, atleast I only have to lift stuff and drop it in the right place and facing. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken