Ahh lol Boeroer now that you say it I clearly see it, Madonna :p

How do one define a class such as the barbarian tho? How do one "RP" a Barbarian? Greeks and later Romans used the word barbarian against nations they believed less civilized, or more primitive then them. So basically a Barbarian is just a "fighter" who comes from a more primitive nation. Example, a Norwegian viking was a Barbarian to the ppl of France, but the definition of the warrior type and battle style was still a viking. How do one fight like a Barbarian?

A warrior can be "barbaric" meaning that they are ruthless and brutal, but any warrior type can by that definition be barbaric, even a mage :o

Did you try any other weapon combinations?  2x wounding daggers or 2x bittercuts (+ spirit of decay) would also be very damaging (and less reliant on criticals).  Wounding has the really high INT to benefit it and bittercuts have lower DR and decay synergy.  Granted, those would need the wax.

Edited by Braven

I chose those two sabres because of the looks - and because of Annihilation in order to stack a lot of crit damage modifiers. Both Vengeful Defeat and Heart of Fury have a high hit-to-crit conversion and also add 0.5 to the crit damage multiplier. Meaning that your crits will not do +50% but +100% damage. Bloody Slaughter adds even more conversion and another +50% (+150%). With the Doemenels, Rabbit Fur Gloves and Dungeon Delver you get another +50% (+200% damage in the best case). Because of the high survival bonus you can get +18 ACC against everything except kith. Also, the high base damage of the sabres is great for carnage.

Bittercut is reserved for another build I'm working on atm.        

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Rogue is good because of deathblows and high crit rate. Those two are the only reason I play one. With the right gear and scrolls a Rogue with deathblows is amazingly deadly mage, weird but true. I'm lvl 11 on my first POTD run right now and the Magerogue is absolutely amazing. As a side bonus you can have some fun with finishing blow aswell, had a 450dmg crit with arbalest+deathblows+finishing blow+petrified last night :)

I'll post my magerogue build once I'm finished, unless Boeroer beats me to it :p

• Like 1

Yeah I'm just playtesting it. Will take at least another day I guess until I'm ready to post him. I would like to see your build. It will be more effective I guess, but I think the essence of the builds will be very similar. This time I wanted to do some "twisted" builds just to make the playthroughs more interesting again. The "standard" class builds start to get boring after a few hours of gameplay because I've seen and tried them all (at least it feels like that).

So I went the whole way and made my rogue more wizard than rogue. He's a robe-wearing, rod-using glass cannon with a pointy hat now (of course a gun or bow would be more effective, but would break the theme a bit), totally specialized in missile spells. Missile Barrage with Deathblows, Ryona's Vembraces and Penetrating Shot is just wow - instagib for most foes. Concussive Missiles are also really great with Deathblows and Deep Wounds. And in the end I also used the spell stealing morning star with this guy (plus Escape when stealing happenend). That is game over for every enemy. Casting Calling the World's Maw and other stuff for free for about 40 secs is just devastating with Deathblows and the rogue's ACC. And he's really good with the petrifying traps plus Coil of Resourcefulness, too. ;) I lure them onto the trap, then apply another affliction and then Concussive Missiles - the end.

Of course I also could use all the other Spellbind Items that have fireballs - but I like to stick to the missiles and leave those for another build (yet to come). 

Scolls + Rogue is really great. And with Prestidigitator's Missiles and Cloak of Minor Missiles you can also have some missile action for lame encounters without wasting srolls. I found three cloaks in my last playthrough. That's 9 missiles per rest. ;) Pitiy that all those things don't work with Sneak Attack, but only Deathblows. So you have to wait till level 11 until the real magic starts. But implemenmts on rogues are not as bad as I thought. Two damage types, Sneak Attack and Dangerous Implement do good enough damage. 

I wanted to post my new "Dichotomous Soulbenders" first - but maybe I'll post the rogue first since some people seem to be more interested in that. 

Yeah I'm just playtesting it. Will take at least another day I guess until I'm ready to post him. I would like to see your build. It will be more effective I guess, but I think the essence of the builds will be very similar. This time I wanted to do some "twisted" builds just to make the playthroughs more interesting again. The "standard" class builds start to get boring after a few hours of gameplay because I've seen and tried them all (at least it feels like that).

So I went the whole way and made my rogue more wizard than rogue. He's a robe-wearing, rod-using glass cannon with a pointy hat now (of course a gun or bow would be more effective, but would break the theme a bit), totally specialized in missile spells. Missile Barrage with Deathblows, Ryona's Vembraces and Penetrating Shot is just wow - instagib for most foes. Concussive Missiles are also really great with Deathblows and Deep Wounds. And in the end I also used the spell stealing morning star with this guy (plus Escape when stealing happenend). That is game over for every enemy. Casting Calling the World's Maw and other stuff for free for about 40 secs is just devastating with Deathblows and the rogue's ACC. And he's really good with the petrifying traps plus Coil of Resourcefulness, too. ;) I lure them onto the trap, then apply another affliction and then Concussive Missiles - the end.

Of course I also could use all the other Spellbind Items that have fireballs - but I like to stick to the missiles and leave those for another build (yet to come).

Scolls + Rogue is really great. And with Prestidigitator's Missiles and Cloak of Minor Missiles you can also have some missile action for lame encounters without wasting srolls. I found three cloaks in my last playthrough. That's 9 missiles per rest. ;) Pitiy that all those things don't work with Sneak Attack, but only Deathblows. So you have to wait till level 11 until the real magic starts. But implemenmts on rogues are not as bad as I thought. Two damage types, Sneak Attack and Dangerous Implement do good enough damage.

I wanted to post my new "Dichotomous Soulbenders" first - but maybe I'll post the rogue first since some people seem to be more interested in that.

Ahh yeah your build is quite different then mine. My Rogue is a bit of a battlemage with scwath ganek shield focused more on AoE magic, cone spell scrolls such as fan of flames and boiling spray, and ofc twin stones to spread deep wounds. Using the necklace and chest armour that grant sunbeam for a total of 6 of those, helps my tanking aswell as dps. Sometimes I switch armour for a overwhelming wave. Weapon slot 1 is scwath ganek shield and Bittercut Sabre, second slot is arbalest for finishing blows. This Rogue is supported by a priest and wizard for CC and afflictions. However my build is far from over as I'm only lvl 11 and haven't even been to twin elms, endless paths or Durgans battery yet. Having lots of fun with it tho :)

Can't wait to get home from work and continue hehe. Work this whole weekend tho :(

It works. However - the spell chance is quite low and in some fights it doesn't get triggered at all. And the positioning is also tricky. Doesn't really make a big difference. The Swaddling Sheet is nice - it combines AoE crush damage with stun. Same thing with the White Crest Armor. One could built a nice sturdy rogue/fighter/druid with those plus Bittercut (Vile Thorns = pierce) or Grey Sleeper. And some scrolls.

Swaddling sheet is imo best Spellholding Item , and yes i know Shod-in-Faith is same category ^^ but if you fighting enemies in narrow paths and corridors swaddling sheet on melee is gamechanger really , what i noticed from running BW Pala with Sod in Faith and Swaddling Sheet , after u proc sheet u dont need the heals because u won already 

What makes Swaddling Sheet so good imo is the fact that Spellholding is instant and requires no cast times and your melee can get crit by various stuff including debuffs and auras that doesnt really hurt him too much 

Edited by Blunderboss

It works. However - the spell chance is quite low and in some fights it doesn't get triggered at all. And the positioning is also tricky. Doesn't really make a big difference. The Swaddling Sheet is nice - it combines AoE crush damage with stun. Same thing with the White Crest Armor. One could built a nice sturdy rogue/fighter/druid with those plus Bittercut (Vile Thorns = pierce) or Grey Sleeper. And some scrolls.

I suppose that makes sense. However, I don't plan on dual-wielding bittercuts, so what should I use in the off-hand? That shield that launches a Thrust of Tattered Veils sounds like something that could work late-game, and if I am already using heavy armor and probably taking Veteran's Recovery, I may also use a shield to become tankier.

But the idea of using The Grey Sleeper on someone other than a Barbarian did appeal to me. Too bad it doens't proc Overwhelming Wave instead of Twin Stones, otherwise I could have a nice waterbender Rogue.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

How about an Avatar rogue? ;) You can have Bittercut and The Flames of Fair Rihangelingdingdong from the Endless Paths (if you siphon knowledge from Maerwald's soul). It will give you 3 Fireballs per rest.

Badgradr's Barricade on a rogue is supernice. And if you do WM before Act III it also not too late-game-ish.

• Like 1

How about an Avatar rogue? ;) You can have Bittercut and The Flames of Fair Rihangelingdingdong from the Endless Paths (if you siphon knowledge from Maerwald's soul). It will give you 3 Fireballs per rest.

Nice idea. But I could instead double it and give it to a Monk with Turning Whell and Scion of Flame, so I could have Prince Zuko on Eora.

Edited by DreamWayfarer