Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Class Build] Bleak Walker , Melee DW Paladin Monster

Paladin dual-wield Bleak walker melee off-tank Monsterlash

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

Monk can do it as well with Torment's Reach. And if you have high INT the cone size is huge.

The cone of Torment's Reach is independent from weapon damage and has its own base damage (crush), but it works with all spell chances (x% to trigger spell on hit or crit) and also prone or stun on crit.

A great weapon combo for monks is Starcaller + Badgradr's Barricade. Since the low base damage of both doesn't matter for Torment's Reach but the high speed is beneficial, you can proc the stun and the Thrust of TV even more often, dealing tons of AoE crush damage in the process. In general bashing shields make sense with a monk with Torment's Reach - because of its unique properties. Low base damage doesn't matter as I said and bash gets +1 ACC per level.
Of course a second weapon would cause more damage, but the combo of higher survivability with nearly the same damage output is great.

A monk with shield can also get away with thinner armor, making up for the speed loss when auto-attacking a bit.

Thanks for the info; I did not realize Monks have melee AoEs as well.

But I am not sure I'd like to play Monk. To begin with, I am not in favor of Monks in most RPGs, as they usually function best without armor and attacking unarmed - and this is very immersion-breaking and seems "gimmicky." Moreover, in this game, they even require to get hurt first in order to deal good damage - which seems to require even more micro-management! ;)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7287 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
In this game monks are different. They don't need to be unarmed and they can wear any armor. Heavy armor is even better in the early game. Also using weapons instead of fists is better in the long run.

And any offensive char who operates in the front gets damaged. In this case you will get something out of it. Lovely!

I think there are some people here who agree with me that monks are the no.1 dedicated melee class. They just require more micro than the other melees because you put out "casts" all the time. So they play like a mixture of fighter and caster - somewhat comparable to melee cipher.

Edited by Boeroer, 12 September 2017 - 09:04 PM.

• Dr <3 and Lampros like this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

In this game monks are different. They don't need to be unarmed and they can wear any armor. Heavy armor is even better in the early game. Also using weapons instead of fists is better in the long run.

And any offensive char who operates in the front gets damaged. In this case you will get something out of it. Lovely!

I think there are some people here who agree with me that monks are the no.1 dedicated melee class. They just require more micro than the other melees because you put out "casts" all the time. So they play like a mixture of fighter and caster - somewhat comparable to melee cipher.

I see. Hmmm, I may consider trying them at some point then!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paladin, dual-wield, Bleak walker, melee, off-tank, Monsterlash

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users