Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Class Build] Bleak Walker , Melee DW Paladin Monster

Paladin dual-wield Bleak walker melee off-tank Monsterlash

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

Eh? What has this to do with Flames of Devotion? I meant you will have altering defenses pre combat and even during combat. :)

Oops. I thought you were talking about the disappointing (at least for me) FoD alpha strike with this build. I was expecting monster numbers, but I didn't get them :(

Edit: And the Deflection stats I quoted were pre-combat, on the character screen.

Edited by Lampros, 10 September 2017 - 04:43 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7287 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hehe - you have to wait for dual Bittercuts with durgan steel and take Merciless Hand. If you didn't do that the damage of FoD isn't that "monster". ;)

• Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

Hehe - you have to wait for dual Bittercuts with durgan steel and take Merciless Hand. If you didn't do that the damage of FoD isn't that "monster". ;)

What's Merciless Hand? And isn't Kraken the last fight? So I think double Legendary Bittercuts is way off.

Anyways, just to be clear:

I like this build. It is effective and fun. So I am not criticizing the build. But the alpha strike was disappointing (but my expectations may have been too high), and I do not think I can tank with this build.

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 664 posts

Totally makes sense. :)

After our "Monsterlash" conversation I briefly tested a Bleak Walker like this - with dual Bittercut an all the lashes and elemental talents you mentioned above. The FoD strikes are really... devastating! Way more powerful than an FoD arquebus shot - since it's a full attack and the full weapon damage plus lashed get multiplied by Scion of FLame and Spirit of Decay. And the normal attacks also deal a lot of damage because of that trick.

So I can absolutely confirm the aweseomness of that part. ;)

I have this guy to level 14, and I now have almost all the same stat distribution, gear, and offensive talents - except Remember Rakhan Field (I chose Wayfarer). And I am severely disappointed by the FoD burst damage. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I am not getting those massive hits. Was something from here nerfed since this build was posted?

Edit: Is Vent Pick the best off-hand choice here, if you don't have 2 Legendary Bittercuts? (As an aside, I don't understand the point of posting builds that stress Legendary weapon enchants. Isn't the game essentially over by then? My understanding is that the Kraken fight ends WM 2.)

When I see a build that is based off items only found in the end game I discard them. But they are cool know about...
  • Lampros likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2089 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What's Merciless Hand? And isn't Kraken the last fight? So I think double Legendary Bittercuts is way off.

Merciless Hand is the unique Talent you get by siding with the Doemenels during Act II, it increases your crit modifier by 0.3 i.e rather than doing 1.5 times as much damage with a crit you'll do 1.8 times as much damage.

The Kraken is the last fight of the main quest in the White March II, but depending on what order you complete the game there can be plenty of difficult fights left after you've defeated it (bounties, dragons, archmagi, the final boss of the main quest etc.) so if you wanted to you could get a fair bit of use out of a Legendary Bittercut. Certainly I wouldn't use the Helwax Mold before I have made the item I want to duplicate Legendary (since duplicating also duplicates enchantments, you might as well get the best one you can).

• MountainTiger and Lampros like this

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 664 posts

Merciless Hand is the unique Talent you get by siding with the Doemenels during Act II, it increases your crit modifier by 0.3 i.e rather than doing 1.5 times as much damage with a crit you'll do 1.8 times as much damage.

The Kraken is the last fight of the main quest in the White March II, but depending on what order you complete the game there can be plenty of difficult fights left after you've defeated it (bounties, dragons, archmagi, the final boss of the main quest etc.) so if you wanted to you could get a fair bit of use out of a Legendary Bittercut. Certainly I wouldn't use the Helwax Mold before I have made the item I want to duplicate Legendary (since duplicating also duplicates enchantments, you might as well get the best one you can).
When using the Mold I like to use it before adding the lash and bonus type. It's nice to have different lashes and bonuses to multiple enemy types. Works great on Boeroer's Monksterlasher build.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2089 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

When using the Mold I like to use it before adding the lash and bonus type. It's nice to have different lashes and bonuses to multiple enemy types. Works great on Boeroer's Monksterlasher build.

That's certainly true. You can still enchant a weapon to Legendary, duplicate it, then add lashes and slayer enchants. 

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

This build pretty much dominated from level 13 onward. It even overtook the Tall Grass DPS Chanter from level 16 onward in terms of overall damage. Getting the IE Mod to apply the disposition preference to my custom Paladin significantly increased his Defense and permitted him to walk into everything; and two Durgan-enchanted Superb weapons (Bittercut and Purgatory - Purgatory on the other hand because of my normal dual wield habits, which always stress "vampiric" enchants!) - plus Immolation - did the rest. And since I used Wayfarers instead of Walkers, I probably did not even need Ancient Memory heals from my two Chanters, because my Paladin killed and thus activated on-kill heals constantly.

For the next run, I think I will try a more of a "crowd control" dual wield version with double stun/prone weapons. (I will probably need two Weapon Focuses - so I can wield something like a Godansthunyr/We Toki combo.

Edited by Lampros, 12 September 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7287 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Stun will suppress prone. So the stun/prone combo isn't very effective. You might want to consider Shatterstar (=double crit damage) and Godanysthunyr in the offhand. With FoD you will crit with the offhand first, stunning the target and then follow up with a crit with enhanced damage. Shatterstar also has Guarding which is not bad for a paladin.
  • Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

Stun will suppress prone. So the stun/prone combo isn't very effective. You might want to consider Shatterstar (=double crit damage) and Godanysthunyr in the offhand. With FoD you will crit with the offhand first, stunning the target and then follow up with a crit with enhanced damage. Shatterstar also has Guarding which is not bad for a paladin.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the tip! Is there another useful Affliction weapon I can use on the offhand, rather than a straight damage weapon?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7287 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Not strictly an affliction, but Strike Hard (war hammer) causes Disorienting which lowers all enemies' defenses by 5 and works well with stunning. It also has speed - which is neat. An that's a rhyme - which is no crime... *mic drop*
  • Dr <3 and Lampros like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2089 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Would Helwaxed Godansthunyrs be good? It'd increase the rate of stunning from auto-attacking and being a weapon the +1 Might stacks. What I don't know is how would the stunning interact with full attacks like Flames of Devotion? Would it result in a higher chance to stun?

• Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

Not strictly an affliction, but Strike Hard (war hammer) causes Disorienting which lowers all enemies' defenses by 5 and works well with stunning. It also has speed - which is neat. An that's a rhyme - which is no crime... *mic drop*

Ah, that sounds great! Thanks.

Would Helwaxed Godansthunyrs be good? It'd increase the rate of stunning from auto-attacking and being a weapon the +1 Might stacks. What I don't know is how would the stunning interact with full attacks like Flames of Devotion? Would it result in a higher chance to stun?

That's also another idea.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7287 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes, since FoD has +20 ACC and gets +1 ACC per level it will lead to stuns more easily than auto-attacks.
  • Lampros likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2089 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes, since FoD has +20 ACC and gets +1 ACC per level it will lead to stuns more easily than auto-attacks.

What I meant was does the fact you're using two Stunning weapons increase the chances of Stunning an enemy, or would it work the same as if you were using Godansthunyrs in your main hand and Shatterstar in your off-hand?

• Lampros likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7287 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Well - you'll have higher chances that stun because both swings have the chance to do it. So if you miss the first swing you'll still have the second.

So yes, it will increase the chance to stun. But I can't say how this compares to the -5 to deflection and fortitude. I guess it's better than disorienting - and the +2 MIG instead of +1 is also nice. I don't know if those small advantages justify the use of the Helwax Mold. ;)
  • Lampros likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2089 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't know if those small advantages justify the use of the Helwax Mold. ;)

Oh they probably don't, I was just trying to think of an answer to Lampros's question about other affliction weapons to pair with Godansthunyrs, though Strike Hard is a fine choice of course.

• Lampros likes this

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well - you'll have higher chances that stun because both swings have the chance to do it. So if you miss the first swing you'll still have the second.

So yes, it will increase the chance to stun. But I can't say how this compares to the -5 to deflection and fortitude. I guess it's better than disorienting - and the +2 MIG instead of +1 is also nice. I don't know if those small advantages justify the use of the Helwax Mold. ;)

Is totally justified if you are building a barbarian, for a paladin i think too tgat tge advantages are too marginal
  • JerekKruger and Lampros like this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

Is totally justified if you are building a barbarian, for a paladin i think too tgat tge advantages are too marginal

Yeah, it's too bad that the Barbarian is the only melee who can perform weapon AoEs. But then, if that wasn't the Barbarian's niche, he'd have none...

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7287 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Monk can do it as well with Torment's Reach. And if you have high INT the cone size is huge.

The cone of Torment's Reach is independent from weapon damage and has its own base damage (crush), but it works with all spell chances (x% to trigger spell on hit or crit) and also prone or stun on crit.

A great weapon combo for monks is Starcaller + Badgradr's Barricade. Since the low base damage of both doesn't matter for Torment's Reach but the high speed is beneficial, you can proc the stun and the Thrust of TV even more often, dealing tons of AoE crush damage in the process. In general bashing shields make sense with a monk with Torment's Reach - because of its unique properties. Low base damage doesn't matter as I said and bash gets +1 ACC per level.
Of course a second weapon would cause more damage, but the combo of higher survivability with nearly the same damage output is great.

A monk with shield can also get away with thinner armor, making up for the speed loss when auto-attacking a bit.

Edited by Boeroer, 12 September 2017 - 08:24 PM.

• hohenlutai and Lampros like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paladin, dual-wield, Bleak walker, melee, off-tank, Monsterlash

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users