After reading  the post on the Crono Trigger party I thought my next play through would be a group of characters from another universe and was inspired to do a Final Fantasy IV party. 

I'll use IE mod when necessary to adjust the 'racial' abilities since I don't want Fighting Spirit on every character. I'll also use IE mod to add two Weapon Focus talents instead of one (so Kain can be a spear and pike master, more on this below in Kain's section). 

For attributes I use combinations of low/med/high and max, since I don't want to worry about the numbers quite yet :)

I'll add more characters to this later, but these 7 give me plenty of variety for now (and there's not that many more FFIV characters anyway!)

Without further ado, the FFIV Pillars Of Eternity Party:

Character: Cecil

---------------------------------------

Modded "racial" ability: Defiant Will

Class: Paladin

Might: med/high 

Constitution: max

Dexterity: med

Perception: med

Intelligence: med

Resolve: high

Weapons: Sword, Axe, Shield

Other IE mod modifications

Order: Kind Wayfarer

Order Talents: Shielding Flames, Shielding Touch 

Thoughts:

- Cecil as a Paladin is closest benevolent and passionate favored disposition, and deceptive and cruel for disfavored.

- The shielding talents are closer to his 'Cover' ability from FFIV than any of the others (Fighter's Take the Hit) is much closer but I can't see making post Mt. Ordeals

Cecil a Fighter :) Maybe I'll give him that talent from the console at the level when a Fighter can get it. 

- I think Defiant Will is the more RP choice here for Paladin Cecil.

=====================================================

Character: Kain (protagonist, Kain is my favorite)

Modded "racial" ability: Fighting Spirit

Class: Barbarian

Might: high

Constitution: med/high

Dexterity: high

Perception: med/high

Intelligence: med/low 

Resolve: low

Weapons: Spear, Pike, Sword, Axe, Shield

Thoughts

- If I choose to level a Weapon Focus I'll give Kain both Weapon Focus Peasant and Soldier (for spear and pike buff) and strictly use only spears, pikes, swords, and axes. Swords and axes are not buffed by those Weapon Focus talents so I consider that fair, since in FFIV you'd occasionally equip a sword or axe on Kain when it was an upgrade. I wish PoE had more direct Weapon Focus talents like: swords, greatswords, sabres, estocs, but oh well.

- Barbarian because of Dragon Leap.

Character: Rosa

Modded "racial" ability: Minor Threat

Class: Priest

Constitution: low

Dexterity: med/high

Intelligence: max

Resolve: med

Weapons: Bow

Thoughts

- I chose Minor Threat to mimic Rosa's 'aim' skill from FFIV. She could do good damage with good equips throughout the game, so I think this makes the most sense for a racial ability.

Character: Rydia

Modded "racial" ability: Hunter's Instincts

Class: Chanter

Might: max

Constitution: low

Intelligence: med/high

Resolve: med/low

Weapons: Rod (no whips :/ )

IE mod modifications

Thoughts

- Chanter is the closest thing to summoner we have.

- Rydia as a chanter makes sense, the whole time she is chanting is for the purposes of summoning, and in FFIV SNES when she was summoning it looked like she was chanting :)

- The chant buffs I can live with RP wise.

- Hunter's Instincts because she's spent all that time with the Eidolons and knows their physiology 

- Summoning of a drake as Bahamut is too hard to pass up. 

- If I want a wizard I'll create FuSoYa.

Character: Edge

Modded "racial" ability: Fighting Spirit or Minor Threat

Class: Rogue

Constitution: med/low

Dexterity: max

Perception: high

Intelligence: med/low

Resolve: med/low

Weapons: Sabres or other one handed bladed weapons (no katanas :/ )

IE mod modifications

Thoughts

- I considered making Edge a fighter but he is a ninja in FFIV so I think rogue is much closer to that.

Also, Edge is DPS and not too tanky so rogue makes more sense to me.

- Edge has a temper so Fighting Spirit makes too much sense RP wise.

Character: Yang

Modded "racial" ability: Defiant Will or Towering Physique

Class: Monk

Might: med

Constitution: high

Intelligence: med

Weapons: Fists!

IE mod modifications

Thoughts

- I think Towering Physique or Defiant Will make the most sense RP wise. Yang is shredded and is a martial artist so either one make sense to me. I'll likely go with Defiant Will though, favoring the martial arts disciple aspect for RP.

Character: Golbez

Modded "racial" ability: Death's Usher or Elemental Endurance

Class: Cipher

Constitution: med

Intelligence: high

Weapons: Rod

IE mod modifications

Thoughts

- Wasn't sure about wepaon type, but the Dissidia games have him using a rod so I'll go with that.

- Cipher is perfect for Golbez's mind games :)

Golbez uses swords, if After Years is anything to go by. Also IMO, Wizard would probably be a more fitting choice since Golbez is in-fact, officially a Black Mage. Cipher would totally work as well though.

Problem with Rydia being a Chanter is that you've locked out Edward's obvious class choice =/

Golbez uses swords, if After Years is anything to go by. Also IMO, Wizard would probably be a more fitting choice since Golbez is in-fact, officially a Black Mage. Cipher would totally work as well though.

Problem with Rydia being a Chanter is that you've locked out Edward's obvious class choice =/

You could alternately have Rydia be a druid. Elemental attack spells, a little healing, and you can pretend your fire blight is Ifrit  :)

You could alternately have Rydia be a druid. Elemental attack spells, a little healing, and you can pretend your fire blight is Ifrit  :)

Good to know, I didn't get very far into After Years. I like sword Golbez better anyway, and I've wanted to run a battle mage for a while. Still, his mind control aspect could be fun as a cipher, even though those abilities were likely given to him by Zemus.

Maybe I'll make Zemus (cipher) as well - as an alternative post-FFIV where Zemus get revived and is rid of Zeromus. A party full of Lunarians would make for some interesting RP.

Good point on Edward, who if I did make I'd give him all of the disengagement bonus skills and items so he could use 'hide' :)

I kind of like Rydia being a druid! Spiritshift can be like a summon too, especially since in FFIV she disappears when summoning Titan when you first meet her. I'll pretend the fire blight is Ifrit and the boar spirit shift is Titan lol. Plenty to RP with her as a Druid and mainly using elemental spells: the Eidolons only lent her their power, she relinquished her ability to summon out of reverence, etc etc. Fun :)

I'm finding the idea of using Golbez, Zemus, FuSoYa, rather interesting now :) Maybe even Zemus as the PC!

Hmmm...I never thought of using ie mod to grant my crono party more RP friendly "racial abilities" I'll have to think about that one since I too have aparty of mostly humans

As for your party I definitely agree that giving Edward all the +disengagement he can carry suits him, sadly no harp "weapons", I'd say X-bow it's like a single string harp and I'm pretty sure there's no FF4 charfacters that actually use one.

Another guy to fit in could be Cid, he would use a hammer :D not sure what class I'd go though, I went with guns and fire mage for Lucca but since Cid has ZERO magic that wouldn't really work, he's abilites are to read enemies weaknesses,etc. and to enchant his weapons both of which can be done by everyone in Pillars, maybe somehow rename Durgan Cid :p Otherwise I guess make him a dwarven fighter (i know he's not actually a dwarf but he always looked like one to me :D)

Oh and yeah lack of Katana sucks :( I went with Estoc since Crono wields it 2-handed, 1-handed wise I'd say Rapier or Saber.

Edited by Failedlegend

Hmmm...I never thought of using ie mod to grant my crono party more RP friendly "racial abilities" I'll have to think about that one since I too have aparty of mostly humans

As for your party I definitely agree that giving Edward all the +disengagement he can carry suits him, sadly no harp "weapons", I'd say X-bow it's like a single string harp and I'm pretty sure there's no FF4 charfacters that actually use one.

Another guy to fit in could be Cid, he would use a hammer :D not sure what class I'd go though, I went with guns and fire mage for Lucca but since Cid has ZERO magic that wouldn't really work, he's abilites are to read enemies weaknesses,etc. and to enchant his weapons both of which can be done by everyone in Pillars, maybe somehow rename Durgan Cid :p Otherwise I guess make him a dwarven fighter (i know he's not actually a dwarf but he always looked like one to me :D)

Oh and yeah lack of Katana sucks :( I went with Estoc since Crono wields it 2-handed, 1-handed wise I'd say Rapier or Saber.

Ah yeah Cid would be fun to make, definitely hammers for Cid. I'd probably make him a fighter, its not that exciting but nothing else really makes sense, maybe barbarian. I'd have to look at the skills. And he does look like a dwarf  :biggrin:

Regrading Edward I can imagine Rosa teaching him how to shoot a bow/crossbow, she was kind to him in the game. I doubt I'd use him much anyway but its fun to make the characters anyway.

The only bummer about using IE mod is that the game crashes pretty frequently. Sometimes I'll get lucky and go a while without a crash but combat seems to cause crashes. But I'll deal with that to have racials that make sense for the character. 

I like your CT party btw, green orlan for frog is awesome  :thumbsup: I still get his theme (gladly) stuck in my head all of the time.

Ah yeah Cid would be fun to make, definitely hammers for Cid. I'd probably make him a fighter, its not that exciting but nothing else really makes sense, maybe barbarian. I'd have to look at the skills. And he does look like a dwarf  :biggrin:

Regrading Edward I can imagine Rosa teaching him how to shoot a bow/crossbow, she was kind to him in the game. I doubt I'd use him much anyway but its fun to make the characters anyway.

The only bummer about using IE mod is that the game crashes pretty frequently. Sometimes I'll get lucky and go a while without a crash but combat seems to cause crashes. But I'll deal with that to have racials that make sense for the character. 

I like your CT party btw, green orlan for frog is awesome  :thumbsup: I still get his theme (gladly) stuck in my head all of the time.

Based on my 1-20 build fighters have actually gained quite a few awesome abilities, tis a shame that none of my CT party quite fit in as fighters...maybe I'll make Robo just for fun (just a lvl 1) or hell I'll roll up your characters to defend my Base :) Oh and I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he's quite Dwarfish :) (Although if renaming Durgan isn't too hard I might rename him Melchior and the Ingots "Dream Stone")

Chanter+Xbow is the closest your gonna get and since he's gonna need to move around the field alot to keep everyone in the "chant aura" those Disengagement bonuses are actually useful, other than the repositioning a "chant-focused" chanter is quite "hands off".

Honestly I get just as many crashes with or without IE Mod anyways so may as well use it, sidenote I've found that the "Shaders of Eternity" mod to be very nice it's a much nicer (subjective of course) especially for a Final Fantasy (1-6 & 9 at least) Chrono Trigger feel. (http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/12/?)

Thanks I had fun making it (and will enjoy choosing the PR friendly "racial" ability) and yeah I'd love to replace the Pillars music with some CT music...I wonder how difficult that is?

Edited by Failedlegend

Based on my 1-20 build fighters have actually gained quite a few awesome abilities, tis a shame that none of my CT party quite fit in as fighters...maybe I'll make Robo just for fun (just a lvl 1) or hell I'll roll up your characters to defend my Base :) Oh and I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he's quite Dwarfish :) (Although if renaming Durgan isn't too hard I might rename him Melchior and the Ingots "Dream Stone")

Chanter+Xbow is the closest your gonna get and since he's gonna need to move around the field alot to keep everyone in the "chant aura" those Disengagement bonuses are actually useful, other than the repositioning a "chant-focused" chanter is quite "hands off".

Honestly I get just as many crashes with or without IE Mod anyways so may as well use it, sidenote I've found that the "Shaders of Eternity" mod to be very nice it's a much nicer (subjective of course) especially for a Final Fantasy (1-6 & 9 at least) Chrono Trigger feel. (http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/mods/12/?)

Thanks I had fun making it (and will enjoy choosing the PR friendly "racial" ability) and yeah I'd love to replace the Pillars music with some CT music...I wonder how difficult that is?

Good to know about the crashes, I'll stick with IE mod then (I can't live without fast sneak anyway).

I've seen that shader  on nexus I'll have to give it a try, PoE is a bit saturated, at least on my monitor.

I was wondering about the music - found this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/42wqs2/any_mods_out_there_to_change_the_combat_music/ but I haven't tried it yet (at work). The battle music gets very old.

Also, I'd love to be able to add colors to the character skin palette, don't know how difficult that is either. 

Lemme know how it goes with the music change

As for your party other options are palom & porom...orlan if kids, human if adult, obviously Wizard and Priest. Not sure how to represent their twincast though.

If you don't mind I'm probably going to roll up your party in my game (among a few other choice characters) as part of the "Caed Nua Defense Force"