The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

No, that doesn't sound viable at all.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It doesn't sound viable, but it plays well. Much like the '10% Stun on Crit' seems paltry on parchment, somehow it feels like dudes are frozen more than one time in ten. My custom four-member party was the fastest-leveling, most fun I've had in PoE, although I never went solo. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Honestly I thought it was a mess in PoE.  There were so many abilities and spells scattered across so many characters that I gave up micromanaging early on.  I'd prefer smaller parties.  In D&D I don't remember having so many abilities for melee and ranged folks, meaning I could just micromanage the magic ones.

I really enjoy micromanagement, so I enjoyed micromanaging my dudes in Pillars of Eternity as well. I'm one of those people who always turn off AI in tactical RPGs, even in games like Dragon Age. There's good news tho - if you felt like 6 party members were too confusing in Pillars of Eternity, you could actually only bring 4 and even have the game reward them with more experience. That's sadly not an option for people who enjoy larger parties in a game which only offers 4 party members.

• Like 5

It doesn't sound viable, but it plays well. Much like the '10% Stun on Crit' seems paltry on parchment, somehow it feels like dudes are frozen more than one time in ten. My custom four-member party was the fastest-leveling, most fun I've had in PoE, although I never went solo. 

Well yeah, four party members with 120% XP each is fine. But the gameplay of a party of four would be far closer to that of playing a full party of six than a party of two, or one. The XP bonus probably needs to be exponential to the number of missing party members, rather than the linear bonus being applied now.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Well for all of my criticism I must admit that the spell system looks very promising, an expansion of UUs Futhark casting by the looks of it. I wonder if it can be used out of combat?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I was already going to get it, but the character creation showing off the character art style sold me more. I like that the characters look like the promotional art

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Or just copy the gambit system from FFXII, DA:O did and that worked out great. There is no reason to constantly micromanage the party for what should be self evident moves.

You're contradicting what, exactly? I already asked for more robust, modular AI in the post you quoted.

I'm sorry that you think that every quote is a contradiction.

I was trying to add to your post not debate it, and we would have avoided this awkwardness if only you could have considered that not everyone is an ass.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

So... what does everyone think about the new "making your own spells" feature they just revealed?

I can't help but compare it to the Morrowind/Oblivion system... fun, but kind of simple and shallow. Just range + element + extra effect. 
Not to seem ungrateful, but I'd prefer that they just work on more creative spells...

Another one bites the dust

Not really, friendly fire was implemented/ignored in RPGs according to whatever worked for that particular game since the inception of the genre. I'm more worried about Obsidian dropping 6 member parties and Josh Sawyer mentioning on several occasions that combat in Pillars of Eternity was confusing due to the party size, which quite frankly seems ridiculous to me.

Honestly I thought it was a mess in PoE.  There were so many abilities and spells scattered across so many characters that I gave up micromanaging early on.  I'd prefer smaller parties.  In D&D I don't remember having so many abilities for melee and ranged folks, meaning I could just micromanage the magic ones.

improved ai for companions could help.  we has noted frequently that in team sports games you got called plays.  instead o' micromanaging for sports teams, you call a play that results in the entire team executing a complex set o' instructions.  individual companion ai improvements would be nice, but with a party we would actual prefer what has been standard in team sports since forever-- called plays.  

that being said, we much enjoyed that the poe non-spell casters had depth and breadth o' abilities.  one reason why the rogue were one o' our two least favorite poe classes is 'cause the passive abilities were, in general, superior to actives.  build a good melee rogue simple meant finding ways to maximize damage to foes suffering from status effects. once combat started, our rogue were almost like a fire-and-forget missile.  we would send the rogue out and have him/her attack prone (or whatever) enemies.  dull.  our other party members could do stuff, but the rogue would simple chunk disabled foes.

as a matter o' fact, the original beta poe fighter were much like the rogue. fighter were low maintenance tanky/defensive class.  the original paladin were also extreme low maintenance but were support and tanky. clearly the poe developers had intended to provide multiple classes that did not require much micromanagement.  fail.  considerable pre and post release changes resulted in the fighter and paladin becoming much more active once poe combat began, 'cause that is what folks wanted. 

kinda sux for hurl, but the poe that woulda' suited him best were the early beta.  

am not sure what lessons the obsidian developers took from poe, but post release, there were a clear evolution o' multiple classes that increased their level o' micromanagement.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Oddly enough, the only character I completed the game with was a Paladin.  I am a fan of having a lot of abilities for my main character, it was the other 5 schlubs that gave me trouble.   :)

with a beta run, you coulda' had a paladin, fighter, rogue and barbarian and four o' your party woulda' been extreme light on the micromanagement.  that being said, initially, when beta were released, combat felt frenetic even with low micromanagement.  in spite o' fact that you couldn't do much other than move your pawns, enemies had all kinda abilities.  the pace o' combat were quick.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

there is an RPG panel with Brian H. and Josh S. and other luminaries tomorrow at the show. Maybe they'll surprise us.

is there going to be a livestream for this somewhere?

Also it's probably gonna be delayed to 2017.

Edited by mindswayer

I hate Unity.