Best companion quest

Best companion quest?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best companion quest? (1/2)

2. 2. Who has the best companion quest? (2/2)

• Devil of Caroc
    • Zahua
    • None of the quests appealed to me
    • Voted in the other poll

Not sure if Durance and Grieving Mother truly count, but added them anyway. I suppose their conversations are the quest, after all.

Otherwise, let's hear what your favorite companion quest was!

I myself loved Hiravias and Aloth quests, but after finishing today Zahua's quest I have to say that his mission was absolutely the best. Visual effect may have been over the top, but I myself loved them. And the visions were really awesome at subtly lead to the revelation Zahua had to make. Great stuff.

Edited by Sonntam

Haven't played Maneha or Zahua's quests yet but... reflecting on everything, most of the quests were so-so.

I suppose I liked Aloth's the best since it made me laugh (^_^)

Perhaps the worst/most boring is Pallegina. You know, "settle the trade disputes!" (SW Episode 1 anyone?)

Haven't played Maneha or Zahua's quests yet but... reflecting on everything, most of the quests were so-so.

I suppose I liked Aloth's the best since it made me laugh (^_^)

Perhaps the worst/most boring is Pallegina. You know, "settle the trade disputes!" (SW Episode 1 anyone?)

A.  Other than the phrase "trade dispute", I see no real parallel between PoE and SW ep1 here.

B.  As for the rest, I fully agree that Pallegina's "companion quest" is beyond underwhelming.  I mean really ... go talk to a single person, have a conversation about trade, decide what offer to make, end of "quest".  Really?  That's it???  :facepalm:  It's a damned shame because I find her to be one of the most enjoyable Companions in the game.  Love the voice, love her being a paladin, her unique race is kinda cool and interesting, and she's a pleasant enough character.  I just wish that Pallegina had a better, more involved (even if just a little) companion quest.

OTOH Durance who is well voice acted, interesting, useful, but is a thoroughly annoying character. (I've been tempted to dump Durance and either try to use Hiravias in his place, or hire a mercenary priest instead.  (I've already played the game through 3 times with Durance, so I wouldn't really be missing anything here.)  Also, Durance's "quest" is IMO rather boring, though I can see how it is a big part of his character development.  Nothing but a serious of long boring talks.  (Same for GM, BTW.  She may be less offensive and vile, but she's no less annoying and boring.)

Side Note:  Actually, there are a couple additional encounters that may or may not be considered as part of Pallegina's companion quest.  The one where you get intercepted on the way to Twin Elms by Leaden Key agents.  And the one where the Vailian embassy is attacked by Leaden Key agents.  They don't feel like they're part of the companion quest, and yet they're obviously related to its events.

Eder, Sagani and Zahua's are the only ones that felt like full-on quests for me. My ranking:

1. Sagani - #1 just because of the amazing final scene.

2. Zahua - Hopefully we'll see more stuff like this in PoE2. I love it when Obsidian gets weird.

3. Eder - My favorite companion, so obviously his quest will be one of my faves.

4. Everyone else.

• Like 1

A minor nitpick: it would have been better to put Maneha in the second question with other DLC companions so people without White March don't have to vote against her despite not experiencing her quest.

Now I'm curious about Zahua... I need to play White March faster!

Eder, Sagani and Zahua's are the only ones that felt like full-on quests for me. My ranking:

1. Sagani - #1 just because of the amazing final scene.

2. Zahua - Hopefully we'll see more stuff like this in PoE2. I love it when Obsidian gets weird.

3. Eder - My favorite companion, so obviously his quest will be one of my faves.

4. Everyone else.

I also like Sagani's quest, mostly because it's not a one (encounter) and done thing. Eder's also requires at least a little effort.

OTOH, I don't like the personal "quests" that are nothing but dialogs.  Gawd, they're boring, particularly GM's.  I swear, when I have her in my party (like I do right now), I want to tell her to go see a pshrink!!!

And as much as I love Pallegina, there's just not enough "meat" on her quest, so to speak.

Gawd, they're boring, particularly GM's.  I swear, when I have her in my party (like I do right now), I want to tell her to go see a pshrink!!!

Well, Durance is a healer. Maybe he could serve as her therapist. <.<
  • Like 1

bother?

• 4 weeks later...

Since Eder is the best companion in the game = his quest is the best one.

I also liked Sagani's quest.

Durance's and Mother's stories are quite interesting, but do they count as quests?

Devils quest could be better, intriguing, but too short (1 dialog).

Not much to say about Maneha - she's my #1 candidate for the Blood Pool :p

After beating the game 3 times, must admit - worst companions get worst quests - Pallegina (2 dialogs = exp bump) and Kana (simple kill him for his gear, thats his main role in this game).

My personal preference, in order from most enjoyable to meh:

1 Sagani

2 Hiravias

3 Eder

4 Aloth

5 Zuhua

6 Maneha

7 Durance

8 Devil of Caroc

9 Kana

10 Some character I can't remember

11 Pallegina

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Zahua's was the one that've stayed the longest with me. Quite a devastating story.

As for best, probably Aloth, it provides the best lore backdrop and ties well into the main story as well

Fortune favors the bald.

I have experienced only 5 of them so far:

1. Eder (compassionable; It got me interested in getting the answer just like the Eder himself)

2. Sagani (I must confess that I didn't believe in the worthiness of her journey from the start; but it had my curiosity for full duration)

3. GM (nicely interwines with the main quest; also liked her chimes)

4. Pallegina (her quest had potential to actually affect the world)

5. Kana (basically his quest got just auto-resolved as I was exploring Od Nua levels, without paying any attention to the quest per-se)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

The only companion quests I didn't like were GM and Durance. I would like to know who thought it was a good idea to link a companion quest with the amount of time that particular companion spends in your party in a game that passively encourages you to dump companions you don't like and buy new ones.

The only companion quests I didn't like were GM and Durance. I would like to know who thought it was a good idea to link a companion quest with the amount of time that particular companion spends in your party in a game that passively encourages you to dump companions you don't like and buy new ones.

Not to be picky, but what the heck.  I don't think that Durance's "quest" is exactly a time in party thing.  The concluding conversation(s?) of his quest seem to me to be more linked to a very specific event than simply being around for a long time.

But I agree completely that both Durance's and GM's  are the least likeable.  And GM's probably more so than Durance's.  At least with Durance's "quest" its conclusion makes sense within the context of the main story line.    And while I suppose one could argue that GM's problem is related to the events of the main story, (i.e. the Hollowborn issue), it seems more tangential than Durance's problem.  (But that may be a matter of perspective.  And a woman might have a different PoV on this than a man.)

While I love Pallegina as a character (and adore her accent), it seems to me that her quest was far too short.  I wish that it were more involved.   Heck, there are already some elements in the game that if their writing had been adjusted a little bit here and there, might have been able to be fashioned into bulking up Pallegina's personal quest, even if her personal quest amounted to doing some errands for the Vaillian ambassador, and later on saving his life.

I'd rank them:

1.) Zahua - interesting and weird, really explains the character.

2.) Devil - would have been better if you had to choose between killing Hamke quickly or setting him on fire, or even killing his wife and kids as well. Once you say he is responsible all the deaths are the results of combat, should have had some cut scene actions, maybe have his kids find you right before you pass judgement on their bad dad. That would have had some meat on it.

2.) Sagani - has a few steps to accomplish

3.) Eder - interesting story, great character

4.)  Rest of them

5.) Pellaginna - really bland quest but great character

6.) Grieving Mother - I just dislike the character. based on her prior actions of mind control I'd not want her around or my more pragmatic characters would want her eliminated just in case she tries something.

I would place them in tiers rather than best vs. worst.

Top Tier:

Hirviras, Eder, Zahua, Sagani.  All of these quests involve learning and exploration, and the quest itself is something you do in game.  

Mid Tier:

Pallegina, Kana, Durance, Grieving Mother.  Pallegina and Kana have pacing issues, but interesting characterization that involves the world.   Durance and GM don't have you do anything except conversation, but they're well written.

Bottom Tier:

Devil, Aloth.  Devil has no personality growth in hers, and it's far too quick.  Aloth has fundamental problems as a character; his quest doesn't really show growth and his surprise at the end of Act II overshadows the whole thing.

Maneha (haven't played, she's too annoying to keep in party for long).

I'd rank them:

6.) Grieving Mother - I just dislike the character. based on her prior actions of mind control I'd not want her around or my more pragmatic characters would want her eliminated just in case she tries something.

Maybe it's because I didn't have her in my party for that long, but I recall some banter dialog from Eder basically referencing GM appearing to him as a middle aged peasant woman, which was explained in dialog when you first meet her.  I feel like they really dropped the ball there, aren't the other characters just the least bit curious why a group of adventures who are constantly in dangerous situations are dragging around such an obvious non-combatant?    Would have been even funnier if it was only Iselmyr who could see GM for what she really was.

I've never completed the WM companions, but strictly all of other companion stories are inferior to BG II's quests. They are too short with not a lot of additional content.

Sagani or Hiravias are not too bad, Durance and GM very well written but are not exactly quests. That's all. The content is rather good but there is just too few content.

Discussing with companions is nice but is so so far from Planescape's level.

Basically I assume companions was not Obsidian's main target for PoE 1.

Edited by Elric Galad