Ranger Companion Stealth?

So I recently purchased this game over at GOG, and played a little bit of the first area up to that first town with a few classes, trying to get a feel for the game.

I came up with a... question that I cannot find the answer for with my weak google-fu, nor searching these forums or GOG's forums.

What determines a ranger's pet's stealth value?
Static? Level dependent? Ranger's skill dependent? Some other thing?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Well... that's a really good question. :)

Although I played this game for thousands of hours this question never came to me nor do I know the answer. I would think that it has his own stealth value that isn't raised by anythin but stealth auras from items (Lilith's shawl for example)but I can't be sure.

Damn! Now I also want to know the answer...

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It seems that besides companion's stealth value, the distance from enemy to ranger himself is also important.

In Woodend Plains (where you meet Sagani), I was standing at the north-most point and sending the (stealthed) pet to Forest Lurkers (located at south-east), practically bumping them. And they didn't aggro.

But if the ranger was coming closer (like two 'screens' away), and after that sending his companion scouting, he would be easily detected.

Edited by MaxQuest