Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Class Build] Cipher: A beginner's guide to GUNMAGE

Cipher Guide Guns

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7287 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Some mechanics did change (Draining Whip does +% focus instead of a flat fous gain which makes blunderbusses less powerful on ciphers, more focus gain on hit, but higher focus costs for tier2-powers and beyond). But basically this build still works like described. 

Edited by Boeroer, 27 February 2017 - 04:23 AM.

• itsLDN likes this

Aginorh

Aginorh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts

Ok thanks a lot Boeroer !

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hi all,

I came across this via a google search. Is the review of cipher powers still accurate ?

Thank you.

Aginorh

This build looks pretty decent overall. The main gap I'm seeing is that it isn't updated for the White March 2 expansion and later patches, which has a few implications:

1) The enemy AI is much improved, so I don't think it's as good an idea as it used to be to drop Con all the way down to 3. You'll need a little more survivability, especially on PotD. I mean you *could* you'll just lead your party in "times unconscious."

2) The powers added with the WM expansions aren't covered (time parasite is probably the worst rank 7 power now, as it doesn't stack with Deleterious Alacrity of Motion)

3) there are a few gear options I don't see mentioned, mostly from WM 2 (but pick up Angio's Gambeson in Dyrford for Deleterious Alacrity and keep it upgraded).

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy, 27 February 2017 - 06:06 AM.

• Aginorh likes this

Sidnv

Sidnv

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There's also no mention of Defensive Mindweb since it didn't exist prior to White March pt.II. It's easily the Cipher's best ability since it makes your entire party a tank.

Aginorh

Aginorh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts

Hi all,

I came across this via a google search. Is the review of cipher powers still accurate ?

Thank you.

Aginorh

This build looks pretty decent overall. The main gap I'm seeing is that it isn't updated for the White March 2 expansion and later patches, which has a few implications:

1) The enemy AI is much improved, so I don't think it's as good an idea as it used to be to drop Con all the way down to 3. You'll need a little more survivability, especially on PotD. I mean you *could* you'll just lead your party in "times unconscious."

2) The powers added with the WM expansions aren't covered (time parasite is probably the worst rank 7 power now, as it doesn't stack with Deleterious Alacrity of Motion)

3) there are a few gear options I don't see mentioned, mostly from WM 2 (but pick up Angio's Gambeson in Dyrford for Deleterious Alacrity and keep it upgraded).

I fully agree with your point 1. In my modest experience of playing hard mode with a 4 characters party, my Cipher (main) gets targeted a lot usually by ranged enemies and casters which I can't take out immediately at the start of the fight.

Regarding WM1 and WM2 I do not have them yet, I intend to finish vanilla first and might buy the extensions depending on POE 2 release date.

Still the power list and description in this build has been useful to me.

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

This is an amazing guide, but I am not sure how applicable it is today. In particular, given that I want to use Psychic Backlash, what are the general builds and stats I would aim for?

Wolken3156

Wolken3156

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Steam:cirno9999
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
This was written during the beta before WM2 so most of whats there should still be viable. The main differences are that Amplified Thrust no longer generates focus and of course the addition of Reaping Knives and Defensive Mindweb, which are both extremely powerful and highly recommended powers. Tactical Meld and Pain Link can no longer be used outside of battle either. I would avoid taking Pain Link.

You don't really need to aim for a specific build with Psychic Backlash, any Cipher build can utilise it. So long as a Will-based attack is hitting the Cipher it should go off. As mentioned though, it is very situational. Against enemy casters or enemies with fear auras it'll be very useful, but against anything else its a wasted talent slot.

Edited by Wolken3156, 11 September 2017 - 07:02 AM.

• MasterCipher, Dr <3 and Lampros like this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

This was written during the beta before WM2 so most of whats there should still be viable. The main differences are that Amplified Thrust no longer generates focus and of course the addition of Reaping Knives and Defensive Mindweb, which are both extremely powerful and highly recommended powers. Tactical Meld and Pain Link can no longer be used outside of battle either. I would avoid taking Pain Link.

You don't really need to aim for a specific build with Psychic Backlash, any Cipher build can utilise it. So long as a Will-based attack is hitting the Cipher it should go off. As mentioned though, it is very situational. Against enemy casters or enemies with fear auras it'll be very useful, but against anything else its a wasted talent slot.

Yeah, I went through an entire playthrough with the Cipher the last week, and I didn't find Psychic Backlash too useful most of the time. And getting Brutal Backlash felt a real waste.

The problem with Cipher I found in general was that its best abilities come at really late levels when you are face-rolling anyways. So I basically auto-attacked the whole game, and if I am going to do that, then why not just get any other ranged DPS? Perhaps I would use its abilities more actively at higher difficulties, but I wasn't too impressed at Normal difficulty/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cipher, Guide, Guns

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users