[Class Build] Cipher: A beginner's guide to GUNMAGE

That bug is in there for more than 4 patches. Maybe it's intended. :)

By the way: only weapon damage works. Damage from stuff like Prestidigitator's Missiles also doesn't work. Flame Shield works and Retaliation, too.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Nope.

Except amplified thrust, for some reasons (most likely a bug).

Amp thrust is a very good underrated spell around character level 3-7 on a dps cipher. Later you have better options but it casts fast, restores focus (so you can chain spam it almost) and most importantly focus fires against a boss target / ogre whatever who is beating up your tank. Since it's knockback and high single target damage it's great against those foes. With right speed high dex / cloth you can keep a single target perma cced while doing massive damage to it with this one ability.

What do you mean? That it's good? Yep! ;)

Although there are so many awesome (soulbound) weapons now for barbs that I wouldn't want to overwrite them with these soul daggers. 

What I really want to know is: What happens if you cast this sould daggers onto another cipher? Will he generate focus for him AND you?

But seriously, though the gun cipher still works with these patch changes and especially if you micro quickswitch it seems guns are becoming less and less effective on a cipher given their talents needed as compared with bow or retaliation ciphers.

To be an effective blunderbuss "gunner" you really want lots of accuracy talents both ruffian and maybe marksman if you do not go wood elf. Wood elves probably need arms bearer while aumunas need marksman. In addition with blunderbuss you need penetrating shot. Not to mention gunner well unless you micro quick switch all the time from that white March unique belt.

Given patch adjustments I would say you are better off with greater focus at least until very late in the game as well. That's a lot of talents to get the ranged gun cipher "up and running" without even taking some very strong damage talents I will list below.

On the flip side a bow setup can get you the whip talents faster and greater focus along with it as you don't need weapon focus with high perception your accuracy is high enough especially with paladin or priest support. and you don't need penetrating shot if you use the bows I will discuss below. After those you can go directly for these juicy options:

Outlander frenzy, heart of the storm (hopefully it's fixed now with stormcaller but the boost to soul shock radius makes this totally worth it), apprentice sneak attack (if you still have a talent point at the end).

Bows: steal everything from sagani. Her hunter bow in patch 3.0 deals Pierce / crush. Slap a damaging 2 enchant on it and you are good to go till level 8 or stormcaller with a weapon that deals about 21-30 piece / crush damage (with high might) At a fast attack rate!

Yeah anyways those have been my experiences playing the patch now. Cleared skaen temple on potd with level 4 party ;). I now have money to shop for cool items in defiance Bay.

I did a quick test with a quickswitching gun cipher - and as I said before you get so much focus at the beginning of a fight that you don't need to "reload" your focus in normal encounters. It's very powerful and also works great when you encounter high DR enemies. Those are a problem for bow ciphers.

Edited by Boeroer

Gun cipher was always considered as the best one. Why? Is it because cipher needs focus only at the start of fight or its because or guns being so strong? Or is there any other tricks? Its maybe dumb question, but I never played cipher before but I seriously consider it now and bows were always my prefered weapon.

Gun cipher was always considered as the best one. Why? Is it because cipher needs focus only at the start of fight or its because or guns being so strong? Or is there any other tricks? Its maybe dumb question, but I never played cipher before but I seriously consider it now and bows were always my prefered weapon.

Bow cipher is also strong ;). It is just that quick switching guns allows you to generate loads of focus as the battle starts, and then unload many spells without stoping to recharge.

Other weapons may provide more long term power, but guns give the most focus when the fight beggins.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

Exactly. Another thing with cipher is that they stop shooting in order to cast powers anyway - so they can't reach that high dps number as a rogue or ranger with a bow (who will fire nonstop). A gun is ok for this. You fire now and then for a big chunk of focus instead shooting quickly all the time. And as I said they are also viable against enemies with very high DR. You'll run into focus famine if you have to fight such enemies with a bow.

That said - I think a bow will still generate more focus over a longer fight - if you just have one gun without quick switch. But the 4 slots in combination with quick switch do the trick:  At the beginning of a fight, cast some CC powers to lower defenses (or even DR for your blunderbusses) so that your focus is near 0 (you don't want to overstock your focus), then fire those 4 shots (takes about 5 to 8 sec I guess if you switch right after each shot). Your focus will be full. Now you can cast all the time. Maybe you only have to shoot three times because else you overstock. Then just cast a power and shoot again when you want. THis is a bit micro-heavy though. AI will not quick switch on it's own, which is sad. :(

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

I've started a new game 3 days ago, my very first with a custom party. Still in PoTD configuration, as I don't like the game beeing to easy.

Taking apart the paladin in my team, the 5 others are completly new to me, my previous game was with the companions in game, so..

And I have a cipher, ranged too.

But I use a pistol so far, and I do not have that much problem (still in early game, lvl 7) generating focus.

It's basically a rhythm thing. I still think the goal is to be able to generate 60 focus or so in short bursts (guns are good for that). With that 60 focus you can go for a sucker punch like amplified wave or cast several lesser spells. Bows basically mean you can spam level 1/2 powers every few (2) seconds while guns means you wait 4-7 seconds and can drop big abilities like amp wave etc.

That said if you love bows try stormcaller with heart of the storm and outlander frenzy talents that should generate a consistent stream of very good focus, not like the 150+ you get with quickswitch and 4 gun shots at the start of the fight but in an encounter which is a bit longer this might generate more focus in the long run given that drugs don't give you flat focus per hit anymore.

The best of both worlds (late game) is to burst generate focus at the start of a fight for time parasite or reaping knives use that ability and quick switch to a bow for your final weapon after unloading 3 guns.

Edited by ottffsse

The best of both worlds (late game) is to burst generate focus at the start of a fight for time parasite or reaping knives use that ability and quick switch to a bow for your final weapon after unloading 3 guns.

That's also a good tactic.

Not more than others. It's always wise to have a backup weapon with a different damage type and a backup CC spell with a different kind of affliction.

Edited by Boeroer

I am starting poe again on potd difficulty. Now that PER is very important for Chiper, it seems that RES is only dump stat. I am concerned about dialogue options with low RES.

Can someone tell me if it will be a problem, having in mind that INT would be 18+ with PER and MIGHT and DEX at 15+?

thank you very much.

I am starting poe again on potd difficulty. Now that PER is very important for Chiper, it seems that RES is only dump stat. I am concerned about dialogue options with low RES.

Can someone tell me if it will be a problem, having in mind that INT would be 18+ with PER and MIGHT and DEX at 15+?

thank you very much.

It is not. Resolve is typically only used for non-violent solutions to quests.

• Like 1