SW: The Old Republic - Episode VIII (May RNG Be With You)

Blarghagh

I *think* the idea with the lockboxes is, the stuff you take out of them counts as 'bound', encouraging people to collect complete sets and pay the cartel coins to unlock them (what a surprise!!!). Problem is, they had fixed it in the past so it didn't have to be on the same toon, just the same legacy. I.e. Gorth could have the pants and Gort's alt could have the jacket and together they would trigger it in the collections for unlock purchase if that was a complete set combined. It seems to be broken at the moment.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

well, the bug whereby DvL rewards were not being added to collections has now been fixed.  

with our chap xvi run o' kotfe complete, we has now unlocked eternal (?) level o' DvL, which we believe is the necessary requirement for the new companion. gonna double-check on that point and then probable go back into swtor hibernation for a bit.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A bit in the same boat. Except my Republic participant (a healer specced Commando appropriately named 'Kolto Pack', although in hindsight I should have named him 'Trauma Probe') is only level 47, still needs to reach 65. My blue madness sorceress got to do the heavy lifting, getting both the valor, flashpoint and chapters I-XVI done. Plenty of other alts that stopped playing after chapter IX. Anarchy in Paradise was just such a major turn-off for me. At least I learnt to completely ignore star fortresses and not pick up the initial mission on your base. Made it a lot more enjoyable. Now waiting to see what the expansion later in the year is about. Probably 9 more chapters, a generic fp and a level increase to 70, making all current gear levels obsolete (while I hate it, it's the only way I see them fixing the utter and complete disaster that was giving NiM gear away for "operations" that are easier than The Foundry tactical flashpoint)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

been a while since we did swtor pvp.  we got one elite warlord character and a couple in the 90 valor range, but has been literal years since we pvp'd, and never on harbinger. for our marauder to reach valor 5 and satisfy the DvL requirement took two warzones. am thinking the valor awards is a bit inflated compared to our recollection.  am certain the curve flattens a bit, but we still were expecting a need to complete a couple more warzones. two.  hardly a burden.

'cause o' the influence and gear farming available from ad nauseam tactical (but solo) runs o' esseles or black talon, we has made the process o' leveling a new character as dull as is possible.  our cheapskate instincts is strong and the most frugal route to influence 50 with a starting companion is too much for us to ignore.  heck, with the new xp bonus armour, we bypass much combat in esseles and still gain 2-3 levels per run 'til we get into the mid level 30s.  we cannot resist the speedy leveling/gearing/influence option o' tactical fp solo runs, but after completing esseles or bt +20 times, we is understandably fatigued by swtor.  can't blame on bioware, but am fatigued regardless.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What do you think of KoTFE? Or class stories for that matter.

I mean, swtor is nigh useless outside story aspect imo. Which reminds me that I've to finish the swtor-fraps project. But I've no will given how easy mode and crap the general gameplay of tor currently is.

What do you think of KoTFE? Or class stories for that matter.

It was a nice idea for a story. Reminiscent of the Imperial Agent story (thematically) which is all about free will vs. manipulation and control. Unfortunately the "episodic" format completely wrecked the experience. My Imperial dvl event alt was the first (and so far only) toon to complete chapter 16. Now that the first season is all released, I *might* consider finishing it on the other alts that I started it on. Class stories are fun. Levelling up new alts is the only saving grace the game has at the moment as doing the 76th DF/DP combo or the 162th HM EV/KP run has gone stale a long time ago, sadly, as ops is the only group content I find fun in the game by now.

• 4 weeks later...

took another swtor break after getting an imp and pub to 65 for the Dv.L companion reward thingie. however, we will likely do the play-as-hk-55 mission this weekend.

HA! Good Fun!

is gonna be pvp players who is  very unhappy 'bout the form removal.  assassin/shadow, powertech/vanguard and juggernaut/guardian tanks has been using dps gear on their tanks and switching forms as is advantageous since... well, since hybrid builds were removed.  to a lesser degree, pvp sages and sorcerers has also benefited from the ability to switch forms. 

well, thanks for the info.

HA! Good Fun!

"Classes have been simplified to make the game more approachable for new players."

What new players? Just go ahead and rename it to Star Wars: The Sims Republic, already. Couldn't be any worse than what they've been doing since 4.0 dropped. A 5 level cap raise because that's right what's needed to look even more fabulous while you show off your neato CM gear on fleet, or "play" through the monthly 15-minute cutscene snoozefest.

And yeah, shank tanks were fun, but it's about time they did something about that. Jugg "tanks" topping DPS in regs was ridiculous, and this is from a jugg tank player. But instead of fixing how the #1 mitigation stat is useless for PVP, they just up and nuke the layer of complexity provided by stance dancing.

Worst of all is I'll probably throw at least 12€ their way to satisfy my morbid curiosity. Bah.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"Classes have been simplified to make the game more approachable for new players."

What new players? Just go ahead and rename it to Star Wars: The Sims Republic, already. Couldn't be any worse than what they've been doing since 4.0 dropped. A 5 level cap raise because that's right what's needed to look even more fabulous while you show off your neato CM gear on fleet, or "play" through the monthly 15-minute cutscene snoozefest.

And yeah, shank tanks were fun, but it's about time they did something about that. Jugg "tanks" topping DPS in regs was ridiculous, and this is from a jugg tank player. But instead of fixing how the #1 mitigation stat is useless for PVP, they just up and nuke the layer of complexity provided by stance dancing.

Worst of all is I'll probably throw at least 12€ their way to satisfy my morbid curiosity. Bah.

Since everyone can throw guard on each other, there is probably not going to be any need for tanks at all in pvp anyway. Not that I do much pvp in the first place (did get one of my dvl toons to valour 10 for the achievment). The 5.0 changes looks like a mixed bag. At first I thought they had completely lost their sanity nerfing dps on assassins/sorcs only, but then I remembered that those figures are taken out of context. No idea how it's going to work together with the skill shuffling and utility remixes and who knows what other changes. Overall it sounds like a dreadfully boring solution they've thought up there. Dumbing down instead of making them more interesting. Not sure I'm going to bother with the new expansion to be honest. Grit my teeth today and finally finished chapter 16 on a second toon. Not looking forward to spend more time on that story arc. It might indeed be time to give the game a good long break.

Since everyone can throw guard on each other, there is probably not going to be any need for tanks at all in pvp anyway. Not that I do much pvp in the first place (did get one of my dvl toons to valour 10 for the achievment). The 5.0 changes looks like a mixed bag. At first I thought they had completely lost their sanity nerfing dps on assassins/sorcs only, but then I remembered that those figures are taken out of context. No idea how it's going to work together with the skill shuffling and utility remixes and who knows what other changes. Overall it sounds like a dreadfully boring solution they've thought up there. Dumbing down instead of making them more interesting. Not sure I'm going to bother with the new expansion to be honest. Grit my teeth today and finally finished chapter 16 on a second toon. Not looking forward to spend more time on that story arc. It might indeed be time to give the game a good long break.

I read on Reddit (don't judge me) that another dataminer said Guard is now an ability gained from the tank tree. Stances being passive and gained from the discipline means the tank stance requirement is redundant. So while it's technically true that it doesn't require tank stance to be active, only properly specced tanks will have a Guard to throw around.

But yeah, boring.

I haven't even bothered to follow the plot past chapter... I don't even know, something in a forest. But from what I've read, it looks as though they just don't know where they are going with the story. Funny, just like the gameplay, the meta, and the business model...

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It was a bit eh.  They do this whole "we're going to tell this story, and we'll release it a chapter at a time and give you 16 chapters of story.."  

Then of course the 16 chapters are a mish-mash of good-to-not-so-good mini soloable flashpoints. With some fun moments. But then it ends with the big "final battle" that.. actually isn't.

Nothing really ends, it just has yet another minor twist and waits for the whole thing to be carried on in a future time.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.swtor.com/eternal-throne/home

december 2  and november 29 early access 

*shrug*

am embarrassed to admit that we did buy the recent released sanguine somethingorother armour via gtn so we could unlock the outfit on all characters.  the set is improbable ugly, almost intentional ugly, but it includes an eyepatch... for the just in case we wanna look like a cliche movie/cartoon pirate moments.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah. The trailers always were better than the actual game. Even the really campy live action one.

During long and lonely nights I retreat to my safety cupboard and weep bitter tears for the wasted potential of SW:TOR - and I loved the game and played it for years before quitting due to guild drama and burn out introduced the lack of interesting content during Shadows of Revan. *sigh*

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Whats the state of the game now? Kinda been wanting to go back to Swtor but at the same time reluctant to lol.

I quit Swtor ages ago before the F2P. It was a great game especially the singleplayer stuff(companions, quest etc). The MMO component though was terrible. The balancing in Swtor was horrendous, it was biased towards jedi/sith in both PvE and especially PvP. I remember during launch and months after launch, everything was wielding lightsabers and not only because it was cool but because lightsaber classes were OP as hell. Plenty of PvP guilds prefer jedi/sith classes and their team tactics revolves around such classes. Was tough for my Vanguard, Combat Medic or Scoundrel to find a spot since they weren't optimal for competitive PvP which was what i was aiming for. There were 2 or 3 instances where I was accepted into the team but was told to swap to jedi class. Went along with them with a Jedi Sage but i soon left as i didn't want to play a Sage.

In the end i ended up jumping on Raid Guild bandwagon. Ironically though, Raid Guilds love non-jedi/sith players LOL. I was shared between 2-3 Raid Guilds like a whore. Funny thing is that i'm bad at Raids/PvE, i'm the PvP kinda player and i usually do reasonably well in PvP but when it comes to Raids, i get scolded a lot lol, like in WoW. However the sad fact was that its not because non-jedi/sith characters were good for PvE, its because they do not compete for rolls on jedi/sith gear lmfao, thats why they take in a raid scrub like me. Jedi Sage was the most solid healer but they'd take a Scoundrel or Combat Medic just to reduce the no. of competitors for gear. On the brightside, i geared up on full raid gear in the shortest time possible since i'm the only 1 rolling for it. I've never played a game where its so easy to get raid gear till i played Swtor LOL. Per raid, i'll get like 1-5 pieces. The 3 classes i played always was the most geared in the guild, its hilarious. And the best part was i was able to acquire multiple sets of raid gear for offspec/alternate spec. Raid gear at that time was superior to full PvP gear if its mixed set(PvP+PvE gear) so that was plus too. But yea, the biased and balancing issues lead me to just quit Swtor. Is it different now?

Edited by deathcoy

Is it different now?

Sort of. They made everything so easy now that balancing is a moot point. Companions are way overpowered, in-game economy has collapsed (makes post WWI German economy look rock solid by comparison) because of inflation (thanks to people getting freight trains loaded with credits for the recycled, dumbed down heroics) and pvp is pvp. Flavour of the month/year is healers. Best raid gear ("BiS") is obtainable from operations that are easier than story mode flashpoints and story mode flashpoints has been done away with (too hard for the masses), so they are now calling the "tactical flashpoints" (which means forget tactics, zerg rush everything). Only challenge left is the old NiM ops and HM Flashpoints (and people are whinging that the latter is too hard, because skills are required).

Eric Musco has posted a response to clarify some of the things that was said at the New York Comic Con last Friday.

>NYC Cantina Discussion – Official Response? | 10.11.2016, 03:34 PM

>Quote: Originally Posted by Jamtas

>So I appreciate that Cristina Petrarca did some live tweeting during the Cantina of the information spoken of to go along with the site updates from Friday. (and thanks to Dulfy for linking them all as well)

>However, I just wanted to see if Eric, Ben or Charles was going to make a post summing everything up that was discussed as well so we can get some clear idea of everything?

>Are chapters being released all at once for the “binging”, in batches?
>Mention of a livestream in January regarding operations. Is that true, or is it not operations but Group content of which we won’t describe what kind until then?
>More livestreams to come to go into more detail on Uprisings, alerts, etc
>End Date for DvL?
>New PvP maps/new types?
>GSF content?
>Just wanted to see if there was any official word on these to counter the speculation that is occurring in the absence of clarity.
>Thanks in advance!

I got you covered:

All 9 Chapters are being released with Eternal Throne’s launch.
What we said is that after KOTET’s launch, the team is refocusing on group content. Our hope is that as a part of the January Producer Letter or Livestream, we will have more specific updates on what is to come. This includes all types of group content, but was a specific answer to the question of Operations.
We will have a whole bunch of livestreams and blogs between now and launch to go into details on many facets of the expansion.
Dark vs Light is intended to end with KOTET Early Access on November 29th. However, I believe the Dark vs Light part of it to decide which Companion will be awarded, will end a week or so prior to that.
PvP / GSF – Refer to answer above about Operations // stream in January.
-eric

I'm curious as to where they will take the game next assuming we finally do take over Zakuul/Eternal Empire in KOTET. If nothing else it will be amusing to see a bunch of emperors running around doing dailies
Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Trying to do DvL just enough to get the new companion but damn if it isn't a slog

I still think this is one of the worst events. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't already played through the game fiftyleven times but I have and ran the heroics elventyseven cubed times

yeah, for the dvl event we created two characters we will be unlikely to ever use again in the future.  rushed through old content doing minimum necessary to reach "eternal" level o' rewards.  am doubtful the goal o' the event were to have us exhaust tens o' hours on throw-away characters. 'course, while the mindless repetition o' already completed content is indeed soul crushing, our typical leveling scheme requires a couple dozen runs o' esseles or black talon, so our capacity for dvl kinda self-flagellation is already high.

one positive:  the dvl xp bonus armour stacks with 2x events.  the speed with which we will be able to level future characters is a nice bonus.  

HA! Good Fun!

Got my throwaways a bit further today

Sorc is now 51 and Sentinel is 45

I hope there are no other requirements besides Imp and Pub to 65 and beat round 5 of the tournament because I've skipped almost every bit of content other than BT/Esseles and heroics. My sorc never even made it into the Sith Academy and while my Jedi finished Tython he's been off script ever since

It's been a while since I got my 2 alts to where I wanted them (the "new companion" achievement). Sort of a sucker for operations, so I would recommend that as a fast levelling up tool once your alts hits level 50. Had an old level 54 scoundrel healer girl and just the last boss fight in TfB (plus the 3 hour exp boost) took her from 54 to 58 in 15 minutes. Rinse and repeat once or twice. It's currently double xp time too.

Edit: Which admittedly also included the one time story bonus for doing the Terror from Beyond intro and outro conversations for some generous xp.